Devils 2019-20 Preseason is here! Team discussion, news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How about Tennyson making the cut?

Eh they still have four cuts to make and two more games. It'd be a major shock if he wasn't one of them with seven guys already on NHL deals plus Ty Smith. He's probably still around to lighten the load on the main defensemen this last week of camp.

Bastian, Hayden, McLeod and Rooney seem to be the forwards fighting for the last 1-2 spots on the roster if Boqvist has done enough to be on the team. If not it's five guys for 2-3 spots.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Have to say that I like that Hynes has adapted and used 4F 1D on both PP units. I figured he would have used Severson and Butcher on PP2, but luckily he has not.

I definitely anticipate us having 2 dangerous PP units finally. For the longest time, we have had 1 solid unit (when Hall is healthy) and one doing essentially nothing offensively.

Also, I like that Boqvist has shown some good PP ability being in the bumper spot with scoring on a shot and a tip shot. I'd anticipate him keeping this spot.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
need 4 more cuts

I'd imagine Tennyson, Bastian, Rooney, McLeod
They may keep Smith for a few games, but I anticipate him being cut and perhaps someone like Rooney being brought up as a 14th forward. Maybe Tennyson if they want an 8th D. Either way, its essentially irrelevant.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if our powerplay isn’t clicking at a top 10 pace this year, we need to seriously reevaluate the coaching staff. given the players we have, our pp should be insane. really excited about that

Reactions: OmNomNom

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
if he was a winger I would be too, but as a center there's just no room for him right now

also, hopefully that kind of signals Zacha finally got his **** together and will be back this week
Hopefully he gets to play on the wing in Bing some, keep him mainly as a center but with our depth there his best bet might be on the wing.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lots of ragging on McLeod even though he has looked good this preseason. People laugh at the fluky goals but forget the nice entry play and pass to Butcher in Montreal for a goal. He doesn't need to be a top 6 guy anymore and I think he can carve out a nice bottom 6 role in the coming seasons
Problem is I can't see an instance where he can Crack the top 9 at all...
Who is Mcleod a better option than at center? I would put Maltsev ahead of him on the depth chart. Hischier, Hughes, Zajac....then options like Coleman, Zacha, Seney....it's hard to see Mcleod fitting in anywhere unless he's moved to wing?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Lots of ragging on McLeod even though he has looked good this preseason. People laugh at the fluky goals but forget the nice entry play and pass to Butcher in Montreal for a goal. He doesn't need to be a top 6 guy anymore and I think he can carve out a nice bottom 6 role in the coming seasons

2nd worst possession numbers on the team. 33.9% CF only better than Wood's 33.87%. 3rd worst xGF. He's been bad

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I've been one of Wood's biggest defenders but he better get it together soon, he hasn't had a good showing this preseason and last night was another poor showing I thought. I see have faith in him but it's about to tested if he doesn't snap out of it soon.

Reactions: mtnet

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Problem is I can't see an instance where he can Crack the top 9 at all...
Who is Mcleod a better option than at center? I would put Maltsev ahead of him on the depth chart. Hischier, Hughes, Zajac....then options like Coleman, Zacha, Seney....it's hard to see Mcleod fitting in anywhere unless he's moved to wing?

At the moment, you're right. The salary cap has a funny way of forcing certain trades and losing players. He could be a valuable piece to this team in a bottom 6 role in a season or two when we're hugging the cap and relying on ELCs

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I need to see it a little from McLeod in the AHL first before I'm making room for him on the NHL roster.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I've been one of Wood's biggest defenders but he better get it together soon, he hasn't had a good showing this preseason and last night was another poor showing I thought. I see have faith in him but it's about to tested if he doesn't snap out of it soon.

The advanced stats also don't account for his stupid **** like forcing one offside in the second period by skating in before Severson, actually should have been two offsides in that period but the officials missed the second one later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad