Devils 2019-20 Preseason is here! Team discussion, news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Both goalies have played well. Blackwood has been better, but Cory looks way improved.

Disagree. Cory has been better. Also looking at stats from the last 2 years as a whole don't tell the whole story. 17-18 he had a .923 in 28 games to start the year. Then his hip got messed up and he had an .863 in his last 12. Last season he started the year injured and had a .853 in 9 games. Took time off to get healthy and came back with a .921 in 17 games. Obviously health is a concern but it's not like his game just fell off a cliff. Healthy Schneider is still great

Last edited:
Reactions: nugg

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
People seem to forget McLeod played 20 games in NJ last year. To the tune of zero goals and 3 assists. With lousy possession stats on top of that. A -8 +/-.

But a couple preseason goals go in the net, (while still maintaining those lousy possession #'s), and he's now pushing Wood to the luxury box. It's not happening.
But don’t forget Maltsev who’s magically better now too. I like what I’ve seen from him, but let’s see him do something in the AHL before we crown him. No one else is even in the discussion yet unless you’re hypnotized by Hayden’s gRiT.

Reactions: devilsblood

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People seem to forget McLeod played 20 games in NJ last year. To the tune of zero goals and 3 assists. With lousy possession stats on top of that. A -8 +/-.

But a couple preseason goals go in the net, (while still maintaining those lousy possession #'s), and he's now pushing Wood to the luxury box. It's not happening.

Luxury box is a good term cause repeatedly scratching Wood would be a luxury, one we can't really afford atm even with our roster improvements. Not unless you're banking on Hayden being a 15 goal guy and replacing the physicality Wood is supposed to bring.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Worst corsi on the team

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Also wood player the first preseason game with Hughes and Gusev so the linemate excuse was bunk. He was a hinderance.

He plays with scrubs because he is playing like a scrub.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Disaster is an overstatement.

The two sides don't mess well at all right now, won't argue that. Team just really needs a smooth skating two-way LHD to pair with Subban. Someone to cover a bit for Subban and make up for his lack of speed.

Hopefully we can leverage our depth up front at forward to find that guy. If we do, everything will fall into place nicely:

LD - Subban
Greene/Butcher - Severson
Greene/Butcher - Vatanen
Mueller - Carrick

Edmundson would have been perfect. Muzzin, too, but we were in no position to make that deal.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This is when you look at one player’s 139 NHL games over the last two seasons to see how they really are.
Wood isn't getting cut, but the team also isn't going to reward poor performance in the preseason with an opening day spot in the lineup. Unless he picks it up, he'll be a healthy scratch I bet.

Reactions: glenwo2

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Wood isn't getting cut, but the team also isn't going to reward poor performance in the preseason with an opening day spot in the lineup. Unless he picks it up, he'll be a healthy scratch I bet.

If Smith ends up getting cut and we run 14-7 then I'd like Maltsev as the 12th forward with Wood and Hayden as scratches. If Smith makes it to start which I see happening then I think Hayden gets the 12th just to try and get Wood going. Both Wood and Hayden have been bad

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Other than Boqvist, I don’t think any bubble guy has grabbed a spot.
Effort plays into it as much as ability. I don't think Wood has looked very determined out there, and someone who may be a worse player but has been giving it there all will likely get a chance.

Camille the Eel

It’s weird to dismiss a vet with a proven track record because of a few preseason games. Very weird, especially when he’s 24.
A veteran can use camp to get in shape. Trouble is Wood has not yet earned that degree of latitude. But he certainly should be treated as having a roster and lineup spot. These are preseason games and nothing but.

The bigger issue is how does Hynes put all the pieces together for a balanced lineup. We have so much talent but what is the team he is looking for as a whole, able to forecheck, to trap, to sit on leads and lock down, as well as to score, able to play special teams - how to find synergy in this roster. It’s going to be interesting seeing what he comes up with.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Also wood player the first preseason game with Hughes and Gusev so the linemate excuse was bunk. He was a hinderance.

He plays with scrubs because he is playing like a scrub.
He had a breakaway that game. 2 sog's, 3 scoring chances, 2 hd chances, 3 hits.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If Smith ends up getting cut and we run 14-7 then I'd like Maltsev as the 12th forward with Wood and Hayden as scratches. If Smith makes it to start which I see happening then I think Hayden gets the 12th just to try and get Wood going. Both Wood and Hayden have been bad
Hayden had decent #'s the game b4.

As noted Wood Rooney Hayden played more then half their minutes last night vs the Barzal line. I'd like to see them put up a better fight too, but am I surprised that they struggled? No. Their #'s were fine otherwise.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Hey Miles, what do you think about all this negative talk about you this offseason...

C6126CB8-1EC4-4727-8A5E-2EE2ED88C1DA.gif

Reactions: VoidCreature

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Effort plays into it as much as ability. I don't think Wood has looked very determined out there, and someone who may be a worse player but has been giving it there all will likely get a chance.
I am not sure how much effort plays into it compared to situation...I mean if we look at a depth chart and say Hall and Gusev are your 1/2 LW's that means for a skilled LW there is really only 1 spot available 3LW.... you're not sticking someone like Boqvist just as example on the 4th line so for all intents and purposes Wood being flat and most likely being the 4LW doesn't really help Boqvist at all. That was just an example...sure you can always find a spot for someone who has excelled but it's an up hill battle against the depth chart in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->