Devils 2019-20 Preseason is here! Team discussion, news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I wouldn't call it 'alarmist,' because the flaws in his game we're complaining about currently are the same flaws he has exhibited consistently in his time here.

He has a role, but he always has. Can he fill it?

If there's a deal on the table that makes sense, I probably do it

This goes for most players on the team, minus a select few.

But what deal would make sense for Wood? An OK defender? Got plenty of those. Another fwd? He's getting squeezed a bit now because we have so many. Some 2nd round picks/equivalent young prospect? Don't think they trade a roster guy for picks or decent prospects.

The glut of fwd talent, imo, does point to a trade, but down the line, let things settle out a bit, let these young guys establish themselves further. Could be towards the deadline, could be the offseason. And I think the trade would be a pretty big one. For a legit d-man.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This goes for most players on the team, minus a select few.

But what deal would make sense for Wood? An OK defender? Got plenty of those. Another fwd? He's getting squeezed a bit now because we have so many. Some 2nd round picks/equivalent young prospect? Don't think they trade a roster guy for picks or decent prospects.

The glut of fwd talent, imo, does point to a trade, but down the line, let things settle out a bit, let these young guys establish themselves further. Could be towards the deadline, could be the offseason. And I think the trade would be a pretty big one. For a legit d-man.

I just cast a line on Wood for Fleury on the trade board. That's the type of deal I'd be looking for.

I have no interest in acquiring forwards or forward prospects, and picks would be neither here nor there.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm not opposed to trading Wood. Big guys with offense are like catnip for GM's, they just can't help themselves. He would definitely be on the shortlist of trade bait.

BUT, I think you keep him around and wait at least 20 games before you start actively looking for a move. By then we'll have a general idea of where the team is, some guys may be injured, some guys may have been exposed as nothing more than a hot start, etc.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not the biggest fan of Wood, but trading him just to trade him for a 3rd round pick or something is not something I am interested in doing.

Reactions: SYWTom

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just cast a line on Wood for Fleury on the trade board. That's the type of deal I'd be looking for.

I have no interest in acquiring forwards or forward prospects, and picks would be neither here nor there.
Would Fleury even play in NJ? Does he have waiver eligibility?

Stats don't look good, I'd have to hear what the scouts say. But I'm not seeing a spot for him.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So, uh, Schneider is looking pretty good. Maybe not vintage, but my man is looking like an actual, factual playable NHL goalie.

He's moving around better than he has in a long time. I don't know if we'll ever get prime Cory again, but I think he'll at least be okay for us, assuming he can stay healthy (which is a legit concern at this point).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So, uh, Schneider is looking pretty good. Maybe not vintage, but my man is looking like an actual, factual playable NHL goalie.
Agree thought he looked really good, moved well, made the routine saves.

Rebound issues? Maybe, but I don't think that was ever his strong suit.

It is good to see, but I was fairly confident he would come in and look good. The test will be staying healthy all season. But there is no way Blackwood doesn't play a significant amount of games, so I think we are in a good spot.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
You've been around since 2007, you know even if we had Stafford playing on the first line, we could and would still argue about the 4th line guys.

No, I mean it's nice we're not so concerned with top lines as in past years. The only real roster spot to moan about is the 12th/13th forward, which at the end of the day - is a nice luxury.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
He's moving around better than he has in a long time. I don't know if we'll ever get prime Cory again, but I think he'll at least be okay for us, assuming he can stay healthy (which is a legit concern at this point).
Yeah, if we can get even half a season of okay goaltending out of him that'd be a really nice change of pace.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No, I mean it's nice we're not so concerned with top lines as in past years. The only real roster spot to moan about is the 12th/13th forward, which at the end of the day - is a nice luxury.
Only if you are making believe that the Left side of the defense isn't a disaster and that neither the left or right sides of the defense fit together at all.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Only if you are making believe that the Left side of the defense isn't a disaster and that neither the left or right sides of the defense do not fit together at all.

Disaster is an overstatement.

The two sides don't mess well at all right now, won't argue that. Team just really needs a smooth skating two-way LHD to pair with Subban. Someone to cover a bit for Subban and make up for his lack of speed.

Hopefully we can leverage our depth up front at forward to find that guy. If we do, everything will fall into place nicely:

LD - Subban
Greene/Butcher - Severson
Greene/Butcher - Vatanen
Mueller - Carrick

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Only if you are making believe that the Left side of the defense isn't a disaster and that neither the left or right sides of the defense do not fit together at all.
Will need to see it in the regular season but Butcher has looked very good.

Smith and Muller have not, but I think Smith is merely struggling, while Mueller just appears incapable of some pretty basic things.

Greene is Greene just hope they can limit his minutes a bit.

Vat's is the wild card, if he can play the left side and be solid, that alleviates a lot of pressure.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Will need to see it in the regular season but Butcher has looked very good.

Smith and Muller have not, but I think Smith is merely struggling, while Mueller just appears incapable of some pretty basic things.

Greene is Green just hope they can limit his minutes a bit.

Vat's is the wild card, if he can play the left side and be solid, that alleviates a lot of pressure.
Butcher looks quicker than last year as well, which is a good sign. He's having a great preseason so far.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It’s hilarious. I’d like to see this list of players that will be more productive than him getting 12 minutes a night. If McLeod is on the list, lol.
People seem to forget McLeod played 20 games in NJ last year. To the tune of zero goals and 3 assists. With lousy possession stats on top of that. A -8 +/-.

But a couple preseason goals go in the net, (while still maintaining those lousy possession #'s), and he's now pushing Wood to the luxury box. It's not happening.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Disaster is an overstatement.

The two sides don't mess well at all right now, won't argue that. Team just really needs a smooth skating two-way LHD to pair with Subban. Someone to cover a bit for Subban and make up for his lack of speed.

Hopefully we can leverage our depth up front at forward to find that guy. If we do, everything will fall into place nicely:

LD - Subban
Greene/Butcher - Severson
Greene/Butcher - Vatanen
Mueller - Carrick
I think disaster is an understatement. I don't think we can expect Greene to give solid top 4 minutes for the entirety of the season...I don't believe Butcher is capable of it either...my guess is that Vatanen is going to move left....but you still have Greene on the decline, Butcher and Severson' needing much more reliable partners than are available, 5 Dmen that fancy themselves offensive and old man Greene to hold down the fort....put all that on top unreliable/unproven goaltending and "disaster" is kind.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
don’t think mcleod will make the roster but he looks much better than last season. it was his first taste of nhl action it would make sense that he saw what he needs to improve to be able to play at this level and worked hard at it over the summer. especially if he’s the type of player that takes a while to adjust when he jumps levels

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
People seem to forget McLeod played 20 games in NJ last year. To the tune of zero goals and 3 assists. With lousy possession stats on top of that. A -8 +/-.

But a couple preseason goals go in the net, (while still maintaining those lousy possession #'s), and he's now pushing Wood to the luxury box. It's not happening.
Last year stats don't mean much....another one of those throw away years statistically in my opinion.... especially for young guys trying to figure it all out amidst a shit show of a season.

That said I don't have any confidence in McLeod's ability to progress much.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I like Wood, he has his role, but if he does keep up with this subpar play.. He is just going to fall through the cracks. if other younger players continue to come up and push him out.

Now that we have a solid group of forwards for the most part.. He needs to step it up even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad