Devils 2019-20 offseason team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No doubt Jack is in many respects an ordinary teenage boy. I just delivered one the same age to a college campus. I get that part of it. He's allowed to like and chase girls. The issue isn't that he's some sort of miscreant, it's that in today's world, anything that can be seen as denigrating or objectifying someone else will be taken that way regardless of intent if you are a public figure. What he did happens thousands of times per day during the two weeks of Mardi Gras season and probably hundreds of times per day during regular weekends on Bourbon Street balconies. Very few people care and no one does anything they don't want to do (here's the reality of it from someone who's ridden in multiple parades - the women that lift their shirts don't need to be coerced or even gestured to - they just go ahead and show you they want you to throw them beads without any encouragement or gesturing at all). You just don't want to be filmed doing what he did in public if you are a teenaged public figure.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
No doubt Jack is in many respects an ordinary teenage boy. I just delivered one the same age to a college campus. I get that part of it. He's allowed to like and chase girls. The issue isn't that he's some sort of miscreant, it's that in today's world, anything that can be seen as denigrating or objectifying someone else will be taken that way regardless of intent if you are a public figure. What he did happens thousands of times per day during the two weeks of Mardi Gras season and probably hundreds of times per day during regular weekends on Bourbon Street balconies. Very few people care and no one does anything they don't want to do (here's the reality of it from someone who's ridden in multiple parades - the women that lift their shirts don't need to be coerced or even gestured to - they just go ahead and show you they want you to throw them beads without any encouragement or gesturing at all). You just don't want to be filmed doing what he did in public if you are a teenaged public figure.

he didnt film it himself and im assuming none of his friends did either so hard to blame him for the filming. he's not Baker Mayfield or Zeke Elliot, no one cares about this in reality.

My3Sons

Sponsor
he didnt film it himself and im assuming none of his friends did either so hard to blame him for the filming. he's not Baker Mayfield or Zeke Elliot, no one cares about this in reality.

I’ve never seen Jack Hughes and Zeke Elliot in the same place at the same time. Just saying...

Reactions: Scooooooooooooot

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You are proving my point. Yes, Hart has the pedigree and is better and younger.
But is it such a gap where the media can say the NJD are absolutely screwed in goal with no hope in sight, while the Flyers are set for the next 10 years with Elite goaltending?

I don't know who in the media is saying that. I don't pay attention to the dumb media. If you pay attention to the dumb media, that's all you're going to get is bloviating and exaggerations.

I know the smart media is skeptical of Blackwood, as they should be. And Hart's not necessarily going to be a star though I think it's pretty damn likely that he's average or better.

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011

You perfectly described what is wrong with western society nowadays. People jump on you for the slightest mistake. A perfectly normal interaction between boys and girls (like you said, happens all the time at parties) is used to "free women from the patriarchy" or paint a guy as a terrible human being. It's ridiculous and I applaud Jack for doing the things he likes and being the one he is, not thinking about the public backlash. Only people with confidence are able to do this.

Granted, there wasn't much backlash in this case. But I am happy to see that guys don't look to be political correct all the time and just enjoy their lives.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I'm not remotely a SJW, and I'm not down on the kid at all, but it's not a great look.

As a father of a 12yo daughter who's the second biggest hockey fan in the house and who's been pumped over the recent lottery wins, I wouldn't want her first impression of the kid being this, is all I'm saying.

On that note, hopefully the gifs of him from camp will start rolling a few weeks from now.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Jack has nothing to apologize for. At most, he should just be more discrete about having a good time, just so there's no fodder for the perpetually offended.

I have a daughter. If something like that ever came up when she's old enough to understand that kind of stuff, I would just tell her that's generally what every 18 year old male has on his mind pretty much all the time, and that when she's out in the world dealing with males the same age she should have that in mind.

Reactions: HBK27 and TZdevils

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Two posts above mine.

"It's ridiculous and I applaud Jack for doing the things he likes and being the one he is, not thinking about the public backlash. Only people with confidence are able to do this."

i largely agree with his point, i dont think he should be celebrated but largely this is as much as a non issue as possible for an 18 year old kid. I would prefer he not do this for the devils fan base to not lose their minds over something small in august, but whatever. I feel like some people are acting as if he did something crazy.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
That is true, I had forgotten about that. Not that there was anything incredibly egregious that I recall but that you saw men who were married seemingly with other women.

The only moment of that I remember distinctly was Greene yelling at Josefson to get back here or something like that. :laugh: Papa Andy never changes.
Clarkson going full Clarktard was pretty bad in those..

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
i largely agree with his point, i dont think he should be celebrated but largely this is as much as a non issue as possible for an 18 year old kid. I would prefer he not do this for the devils fan base to not lose their minds over something small in august, but whatever. I feel like some people are acting as if he did something crazy.

Who is losing their mind? I disagreed with applauding the behavior.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I hate callout and cancel cultures. I quit Twitter four years ago because it was a fraction of the hellhole that it is now, and even back then it was an infuriating experience. But let’s not pretend that this was a “normal interaction” or acceptable behavior. I am sure he’ll be dealt with in a style that isn’t random people dogpiling him.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
i feel like the fan bases is pretty riled up about this haha idk i just dont think its a big deal and some people should think about themselves as a teenager.

I'm disappointed in what he did, I don't think it needs to go any farther than that, I'm not suggesting he needs to be "cancelled" or disciplined, or even needs to apologize. If I'm riled up it's a reaction to people that are applauding the behavior or suggesting that it's stuff we all did when we were younger. If you acted like that, that's you.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I hate callout and cancel cultures. I quit Twitter four years ago because it was a fraction of the hellhole that it is now, and even back then it was an infuriating experience. But let’s not pretend that this was a “normal interaction” or acceptable behavior. I am sure he’ll be dealt with in a style that isn’t random people dogpiling him.

Thank you. That's all I'm saying. I mentioned a few days ago about how players read these boards. If Hughes finds this thread it'd be good for him to see people saying "yeah, that's not good" rather than "I applaud that!"

Reactions: DVision44

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I'm disappointed in what he did, I don't think it needs to go any farther than that, I'm not suggesting he needs to be "cancelled" or disciplined, or even needs to apologize. If I'm riled up it's a reaction to people that are applauding the behavior or suggesting that it's stuff we all did when we were younger. If you acted like that, that's you.

Blame Deena from the Jersey Shore. For real being disappointed is a bit much, i couldnt imagine being disappointed in this.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

It is common behavior for an 18 year old male, and literally did not hurt anyone, even the perpetually offended, who see taking offense more as a means of getting others to bend to their will than anything else. I guarantee you that the vast majority of young pro athletes (and big time NCAA ahtletes) across all sports do the same types of thing. There's just video of some of them and not video of others.

So far as it comes to Hughes, Devils PR should just try to ensure that he (and all of the other young players) are more discrete about having a good time so it isn't a distraction.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
There's criticisms to be made of the "perpetually offended" crowd, but wiping out the appropriate criticism of our new star acting like a dumb jock by saying "all jocks act like this" is literally making their point for them. Like, hey, maybe there is a culture of acting like an entitled immature manbaby because you're good at sports, after all? And I don't know, maybe that's really shitty. I'm not pretending that a lot of athletes probably act like this, but at least I don't usually have to see it when I come to read about whether Zacha will pay second line taxes on Cory's injury stats or whatever.

I've had a lot of great times, hooked up with a lot of women, partied with very famous people, done a ton of drugs, and at no point in my life did I ever ask random women I didn't know to show me their boobs. You do not, under any circumstances, have to act like a douchebag - in fact, people tend to like you better when you don't.

But hey, that's me.

My3Sons

Sponsor
There's criticisms to be made of the "perpetually offended" crowd, but wiping out the appropriate criticism of our new star acting like a dumb jock by saying "all jocks act like this" is literally making their point for them. Like, hey, maybe there is a culture of acting like an entitled immature manbaby because you're good at sports, after all? And I don't know, maybe that's really ****ty. I'm not pretending that a lot of athletes probably act like this, but at least I don't usually have to see it when I come to read about whether Zacha will pay second line taxes on Cory's injury stats or whatever.

I've had a lot of great times, hooked up with a lot of women, partied with very famous people, done a ton of drugs, and at no point in my life did I ever ask random women I didn't know to show me their boobs. You do not, under any circumstances, have to act like a *****ebag - in fact, people tend to like you better when you don't.

But hey, that's me.

I don’t think you are wrong but I also think you’ve never been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad