Devils 2019-20 offseason team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
1. Objectively it's stupid. No one should be doing that, and it's a damn shame his stardom (i assume) got to him enough where he felt compelled to do it

2. If it was NoLA on Mardi Gras, it still isn't a good look, even if everyone else does it.

3. We should acknowledge that he's still an immature teen, prone to doing stupid stuff like this. Hopefully this is a wake up call for him, in understanding that there's a spotlight on him

A good chunk of society look at the guys who go to mardi gras and think "ew gross", but accept it as normal, since we accept there are terrible people out there, so whatever. The reason why this is worse is because this guy is 18 years old, our athlete, as well as a potential role model for kids. we can dislike his actions but we don't need to bury the kid. now if he gets into the headlines for the wrong reasons REPEATEDLY, on the other hand......

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I think generalizing anyone by what happens in Madri Gras is a bad point and one you’re certainly better than.
one has to admit, though, that if a player were recorded AT mardi gras, doing what you do "when in rome", it wouldn't be as big of a deal

pretty sure jack's situation is not one where flashing boobs is common though.... i wonder where he was

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That is true, I had forgotten about that. Not that there was anything incredibly egregious that I recall but that you saw men who were married seemingly with other women.

The only moment of that I remember distinctly was Greene yelling at Josefson to get back here or something like that. :laugh: Papa Andy never changes.

And Volchenkov drunkenly and semi-threateningly asking "What the f*** you want?" to the camera man.

Camille the Eel

Hughes will presumably learn that what he does now draws inordinate attention. He will be held to a higher standard of political correctness, sad as that thought is. And as silly as p.c. so often is. If he becomes the elite athlete he seems to have the tools to become, it’s one of the things that come with the territory and that he’s going to have learn to deal with. For the teams sake and his own he will no doubt wise up to the public relations end of the major league sports business. For several millions a year over a long career, and fame and glory, he will probably think it’s not that bad a deal.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think generalizing anyone by what happens in Madri Gras is a bad point and one you’re certainly better than.

It’s just common and seen by lots of people, not just the drunk frat boys, and not made a big deal of. It’s the contrarian viewpoint. I come down on the side of the behavior being unseemly and something we all hopefully grow out of. If you are assessing my point through the lens of what you see on TV I didn’t make my point well enough. The stereotype of Mardi Gras is worse than the reality. I’m taking about the 90% you don’t see. Basically young people do dumb things and hopefully no one gets hurt and they learn from it. It’s a shame that some of these players have to grow up so publicly.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
7347033942_a5216af12d_o.gif

George-Costanza-Point-Wink-On-Seinfeld.gif

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
one has to admit, though, that if a player were recorded AT mardi gras, doing what you do "when in rome", it wouldn't be as big of a deal

pretty sure jack's situation is not one where flashing boobs is common though.... i wonder where he was

I believe this was at Boots & Hearts, it’s a massive country music festival near Toronto. To say that nipples were shown multiples times is not a stretch.

Many NHLers go to this event, Taylor Hall has attended previously for example.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Am I the only woman who still occasionally posts here? Are there 1 or 2 others? Any out there who try not to discuss it? I'm rusty at recognizing user names from when I was more regular here.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
For anyone who doesn't listen to Spittin Chiclets (you should), Teddy Purcell was on again today. He works with Adam Oates now a days who is training a lot of high end guys in the NHL. They specifically asked how Hall looked during these training sessions and Purcell said that Hall looked absolutely fantastic and his knee is finally right. Also mentioned that he wants to play 82 and get this team back into the playoffs.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
For anyone who doesn't listen to Spittin Chiclets (you should), Teddy Purcell was on again today. He works with Adam Oates now a days who is training a lot of high end guys in the NHL. They specifically asked how Hall looked during these training sessions and Purcell said that Hall looked absolutely fantastic and his knee is finally right. Also mentioned that he wants to play 82 and get this team back into the playoffs.

If he wants to play 82 for the Devils he may want to re-sign

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Anyone know where I can watch the video? It’s been removed from twitter

No, there's not much to it. It's a little blurry, no one is in the frame except Hughes, he's on a pavilion up above the camera. People are recognizing him and calling out to him, he gestures to the people calling out to him, and then mimes lifting his shirt up. It's not Al Franken level shit, just not what you hope to see.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
No, there's not much to it. It's a little blurry, no one is in the frame except Hughes, he's on a pavilion up above the camera. People are recognizing him and calling out to him, he gestures to the people calling out to him, and then mimes lifting his shirt up. It's not Al Franken level ****, just not what you hope to see.

So we don’t even know who he was motioning towards? It was probably one of his buddies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
So we don’t even know who he was motioning towards? It was probably one of his buddies.

Oh right the well known bro thing where buddies mime flashing their tits at each other. God I’d rather talk about anything else at this point. Clarksons taxes Zachas last quarter, the Amazon is burning down just f***ing lock this thread already.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Seems about normal. By the way, Hall is a 90 and Subban an 88. Nobody else on the team made it to 85 or better (the list I saw only had 85 and up ratings).

The NHL ratings always are such BS, even aside from that Im pretty sure they have never listed Zacha as a Center and always as a LW. The overall number is all anyone looks at but then you look at the players individual stats and they will have Jesper Bratt be like a 86 speed and agility and butcher will be 88 for both. Nobody mails in sports video games more than the crew that makes NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->