Devils 2019-20 offseason team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Believe it or not, we're capped out. ~$2.5 million for Zacha's new contract and $5.6 million for the performance bonuses that Jack and Nico could hit. That's a little over $8 million and we're currently $8.7 under the cap.
It's crazy how quick it could happen and makes you appreciate a bit more the planning and patience of Shero to hold onto as much space as he did and strike with it all at the right time.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Yeah its real easy to go after a big name free agent or two and all of a sudden be cap strapped for a few years, that could really halt a rebuild. Some teams (rangers cough cough) still do it though !!

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Believe it or not, we're capped out. ~$2.5 million for Zacha's new contract and $5.6 million for the performance bonuses that Jack and Nico could hit. That's a little over $8 million and we're currently $8.7 under the cap.
Correct me if I am wrong but let’s say both Nico and Jack hit all of their performance bonuses and we do not have the cap space to absorb, it would just get carried over to next season.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Correct me if I am wrong but let’s say both Nico and Jack hit all of their performance bonuses and we do not have the cap space to absorb, it would just get carried over to next season.
That is correct, but we're *REALLY* tight against the cap next year if we re-sign all our current players.

-edit-
Err... I mean all our players other than Greene and Simmonds.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

That is correct, but we're *REALLY* tight against the cap next year if we re-sign all our current players.

-edit-
Err... I mean all our players other than Greene and Simmonds.

Exactly, we don't want any carry over for next summer because we're trying to Sign Hall, Hischier, and Bratt.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Simmonds is obviously a super tough guy and, but it's pretty f***ing stupid for a professional athlete to do that to their body. You have a limited window to perform and make your money, why waste precious career time playing sub-optimally? All you're doing is shortening your career and hurting your future earnings.

Reactions: mdj12784

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

This is actually not true. I’ll explain.

The Devils could theoretically save space in case they both hit their Schedule A bonuses, which is 850K per player. These are things such as 20 goals, 60 points, Top 5 in ice time, etc. So the Devils could opt to save $1.7 million in space for that. But even still, the league allows a cushion of 7.5% above the upper limit which the team can exceed. (Similar to LTIR). Which is why a team with no players on LTIR exceeding the cap doesn’t really have to worry about the performance bonuses.

The Schedule B bonuses are the ones such as the Hart trophy, Ted Lindsay Trophy, the Calder trophy, etc. Which are very very unlikely to be hit (except for the Calder for Hughes). But even still, the bonuses paid out to Hughes, Hischier, Blackwood, Smith and Bratt shouldn’t exceed the 7.5% cushion even if the Devils were up against the $81.5 Million cap.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

The Devils could theoretically save space in case they both hit their Schedule A bonuses, which is 850K per player. These are things such as 20 goals, 60 points, Top 5 in ice time, etc. So the Devils could opt to save $1.7 million in space for that. But even still, the league allows a cushion of 7.5% above the upper limit which the team can exceed. (Similar to LTIR). Which is why a team with no players on LTIR exceeding the cap doesn’t really have to worry about the performance bonuses.

The Schedule B bonuses are the ones such as the Hart trophy, Ted Lindsay Trophy, the Calder trophy, etc. Which are very very unlikely to be hit (except for the Calder for Hughes). But even still, the bonuses paid out to Hughes, Hischier, Blackwood, Smith and Bratt shouldn’t exceed the 7.5% cushion even if the Devils were up against the $81.5 Million cap.
Yes, but we're in more cap trouble next year than this. We'd want to have as much salary count for THIS year as possible.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

So that 7.5% "cushion" is not applied to the cap hit next year? I definitely misunderstood the Schedule 'A' vs. Schedule 'B' bonus thing, thanks for clarifying. Interesting, so it seems like even after Zacha we actually still have $5-6 million to play with. Still have to stay away from multi year commitments.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Odd that I was researching this at the exact same time. Simmonds is going to be surprise offensive producer on this team.

The opinions on Simmonds have bordered on ridiculous to me. I don't care how much cap space you have, you don't throw $5 million at a player if you don't believe they are going to be productive and effective. I have to imagine that the front office fully examined Simmonds and his injury history, and are satisfied that he's ready to come back and perform. I mean, if they didn't, then it is indeed a truly boneheaded move, but there's just absolutely no reason to think that.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
So that 7.5% "cushion" is not applied to the cap hit next year? I definitely misunderstood the Schedule 'A' vs. Schedule 'B' bonus thing, thanks for clarifying. Interesting, so it seems like even after Zacha we actually still have $5-6 million to play with. Still have to stay away from multi year commitments.

I completely agree we should stay away from any commitment beyond 1 year due to upcoming Hall Hischier and Bratt contracts. But yes the Devils still have about 5-6.5 remaining for this season after Zacha is signed. I wouldn’t mind trading a prospect like McLeod or somebody lesser for a player on an expiring contract and going for the Cup this season. Chris Kreider/Tyler Toffoli/Michael Frolik come to mind.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The opinions on Simmonds have bordered on ridiculous to me. I don't care how much cap space you have, you don't throw $5 million at a player if you don't believe they are going to be productive and effective. I have to imagine that the front office fully examined Simmonds and his injury history, and are satisfied that he's ready to come back and perform. I mean, if they didn't, then it is indeed a truly boneheaded move, but there's just absolutely no reason to think that.
He has proven he can perform at a high rate injured, if he is training with Nichol I assume he is 100% healthy and ready to go close to 2016-17 standards. The article on The Athletic on Nichol was interesting.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I completely agree we should stay away from any commitment beyond 1 year due to upcoming Hall Hischier and Bratt contracts. But yes the Devils still have about 5-6.5 remaining for this season after Zacha is signed. I wouldn’t mind trading a prospect like McLeod or somebody lesser for a player on an expiring contract and going for the Cup this season. Chris Kreider/Tyler Toffoli/Michael Frolik come to mind.
I think at this point the only trade I'd make would involve a 1LHD, and ideally involve Vatanen.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Yes, but we're in more cap trouble next year than this. We'd want to have as much salary count for THIS year as possible.

As I said, nothing would carry over into next season unless it exceeds the 7.5% cushion over the upper limit. Which is $6,112,500 over the $81.5 million. So the Devils would have to exceed $87,612,500 for it to carry over into next season. About a 0% chance that happens.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
As I said, nothing would carry over into next season unless it exceeds the 7.5% cushion over the upper limit. Which is $6,112,500 over the $81.5 million. So the Devils would have to exceed $87,612,500 for it to carry over into next season. About a 0% chance that happens.
Right. I don't want to exceed the cap this year.

We probably have the flexibility to spend a few more million without exceeding it, but it's not like we have a TON of space like I keep reading in misinformed articles.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I disagree on spending up to the cap, at trade deadline cap space is very valuable, especially recovering draft picks.
Not to disagree for the sake of it but, at the deadline that's the opposite of how it works. If you have any cap space you are using picks to get more players. Nobody is sending guys away with picks to save cap at the deadline.

Reactions: Ben Matlock

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not to disagree for the sake of it but, at the deadline that's the opposite of how it works. If you have any cap space you are using picks to get more players. Nobody is sending guys away with picks to save cap at the deadline.
Depends who is on the market, you may get a useful but overpriced player along with a pick so the other team can acquire the player of their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad