Devils 2019-20 offseason team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Depends who is on the market, you may get a useful but overpriced player along with a pick so the other team can acquire the player of their choice.
Maybe, but that is a stretch, typically at the deadline contenders are picking up guys with one year left on their contract and $ retained or not because it all doesn't count against the cap and they can afford to fit them for the rest of the year.

Either way, I'm happy with where we are, if we add another player who helps and go into the season with out an extra dollar, I'll still be fine with it.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
As I said, nothing would carry over into next season unless it exceeds the 7.5% cushion over the upper limit. Which is $6,112,500 over the $81.5 million. So the Devils would have to exceed $87,612,500 for it to carry over into next season. About a 0% chance that happens.
Are you sure? They way I'm reading it, is that a team is allowed to go over the cap by 7.5% to cover performance bonuses, but whatever amount you go over the cap by is deducted from the next year. Were ALLOWED to go up to 87.6 million, but we eventually have to pay the piper...its not free space.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Believe it or not, we're capped out. ~$2.5 million for Zacha's new contract and $5.6 million for the performance bonuses that Jack and Nico could hit. That's a little over $8 million and we're currently $8.7 under the cap.

I've always assume that brining in Gardiner would result in a Vatanen move

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
1. I'm starting to think that Gardiner is waiting for Marner's deal to get done, and then will take whatever Toronto has left in its cap.

2. No one has $4 million in cap space to take Vatanen.

It was reported he has a handshake deal with a team that first needs to move a Dman. I'm pretty sure it's Buffalo though trying to move Risto because he knows there is no chance to go back to Toronto.

There are definitely some teams that could take Vatanen

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I disagree on spending up to the cap, at trade deadline cap space is very valuable, especially recovering draft picks.

Really hope we can pick up a 2nd or 3rd to replace what we’ve moved out this offseason. Finding good young players to play on ELC’s is gonna be important in 3-4 years.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Cap situation is fine going forward. Ray has options to walk away from greene, zajac and palmieri if he wants to free up cap dollars over the next two years. Thats at least 15 million dollars.

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Cap situation is fine going forward. Ray has options to walk away from greene, zajac and palmieri if he wants to free up cap dollars over the next two years. Thats at least 15 million dollars.
Actually, that's counting on letting Greene go. Vatanen would probably be the cap casualty next year if needed.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
even if greene comes back he will be taking a pay cut, and i doubt vatanen comes back they might be hoping walsh is ready for the 3rd pairing or carrick develops enough to be trusted

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
even if greene comes back he will be taking a pay cut, and i doubt vatanen comes back they might be hoping walsh is ready for the 3rd pairing or carrick develops enough to be trusted
Even this year I would not have an issue with Carrick on the 3rd pair.

Vat's is wonderful insurance to have around, and there is the option of him on 1st pair lhd, but he's going to be severely underutilized as a 3rd pairing guy.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
We've got so many young bottom six forwards that, during next summer, a trade will have to be made anyway.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Really hope we can pick up a 2nd or 3rd to replace what we’ve moved out this offseason. Finding good young players to play on ELC’s is gonna be important in 3-4 years.
We've had so many draft picks in recent years that I'm not that worried about it.

Even having high picks who turn into merely useful players like Zacha and McCleod will be pretty helpful in filling out the roster even though they are not on their elc's.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Even this year I would not have an issue with Carrick on the 3rd pair.

Vat's is wonderful insurance to have around, and there is the option of him on 1st pair lhd, but he's going to be severely underutilized as a 3rd pairing guy.

I don't think we're going to have a traditional 1st, 2nd and 3rd pairing. PK will play the most and I could see him playing with different guys at points. The 2nd and 3rd pairs will probably end up with similar ice time to each other

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'm curious to see what the Zacha number is. Shero seems to have max leverage.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I really can't see one of Vats, Subban, or Sevs playing bottom pairing minutes, that would seem like a waste for all. Then the whole switch them to the other side thought, then sit who? or switch an LD to RD as well?

I'm not saying I see a trade, but I can't even guess how this is going to play out.

Reactions: devilsblood

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Someone wrote an article for The Athletic speculating that the ongoing Mitch Marner fiasco is also having a reverberating effect on other big-name RFAs, like Tkachuk, Laine, Rantanen, McAvoy, Point, Konecny, etc. As in, many of them won’t sign until Mitch does. I have three opinions about this:

1. Kyle Dubas and Paul Marner are ruining this for everyone else.
  2. The next CBA absolutely needs to address a reduction in the age of UFA eligibility. That’s going to be key in MLB. Instead the issue of note is escrow and nobody gives a shit about the nitty-gritty about that besides lawyers.
  3. I am so, so glad that we’re not doing this nonsense with Hischier this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad