Devils 2019-20 offseason team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think the comments came from the post-trade conference call, basically the context of them being far apart on their contract talks.

Ya I have no issue with McPhee's comments, he wanted to keep the guys he's been winning with and I can respect that.

Gusev not having elite speed is not something I knew, but it's hardly a knock.

Gusev to his credit handled those comments very maturely.

Reactions: My3Sons

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I'm so curious as to what's going to happen with the defense.

On the left side we have Greene, Butcher and Mueller one way deals, and it's expected that Ty Smith is going to challenge for, and likely get, a spot.

On the right side, Subban, Severson, Vatanen, and Carrick.

I think Severson needs to be paired with a more defensively-oriented guy - since he's not getting first pairing minutes with Subban here, maybe Greene can be that dude.

That 1LD spot is a big hole. I think Butcher will get exposed hard on the top-pair. Mueller was paired, briefly, with Vats last year on the de facto top pairing, and I think he plays up to whoever he's paired with. But then that leaves Smith with nowhere to go.

Something's gotta give. Interested to see what happens.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm so curious as to what's going to happen with the defense.

On the left side we have Greene, Butcher and Mueller one way deals, and it's expected that Ty Smith is going to challenge for, and likely get, a spot.

On the right side, Subban, Severson, Vatanen, and Carrick.

I think Severson needs to be paired with a more defensively-oriented guy - since he's not getting first pairing minutes with Subban here, maybe Greene can be that dude.

That 1LD spot is a big hole. I think Butcher will get exposed hard on the top-pair. Mueller was paired, briefly, with Vats last year on the de facto top pairing, and I think he plays up to whoever he's paired with. But then that leaves Smith with nowhere to go.

Something's gotta give. Interested to see what happens.
I think Smith makes the team and Mueller and Carrick look like the guys on the outside looking in.

Subban is #1 rhd.

After that? I really just don't know.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Should Shero be interested in Priskie? Don’t know much about him.

We'd probably be a tough sell for Priskie (don't know much about him other than he's a RD). His reasoning for not signing with Washington was that he thought his path to an NHL spot was blocked since they had Carlson, Jensen (had just signed a 4 year extension), and Niskanen at the time. Not sure if Washington contacted him again after trading Niskanen for Gudas. We have four RD with one way deals, so if Priskie's looking for an immediate NHL gig then he'd probably look elsewhere. But I wouldn't doubt that Shero at least places a phone call on August 15th just to kick the tires.

Albeit Carolina has been reportedly interested and they have a bunch of RD and could still look to move Faulk. From a roster spot perspective, Anaheim/LA both seemingly have a RD spot ready and waiting.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah it’s been a while man. Tho I’m still on the dark side. Thought I’d see how things are these days over here. So far so good haha.
You can only get the Shama Lama Ding Dong here and I've searched this whole wide world.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
We'd probably be a tough sell for Priskie (don't know much about him other than he's a RD). His reasoning for not signing with Washington was that he thought his path to an NHL spot was blocked since they had Carlson, Jensen (had just signed a 4 year extension), and Niskanen at the time. Not sure if Washington contacted him again after trading Niskanen for Gudas. We have four RD with one way deals, so if Priskie's looking for an immediate NHL gig then he'd probably look elsewhere. But I wouldn't doubt that Shero at least places a phone call on August 15th just to kick the tires.

Albeit Carolina has been reportedly interested and they have a bunch of RD and could still look to move Faulk. From a roster spot perspective, Anaheim/LA both seemingly have a RD spot ready and waiting.

Gudas is a RD so I doubt anything changed

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Gudas is a RD so I doubt anything changed

The slight difference is that Gudas is UFA after the year while Niskanen had two years remaining. So the Caps could have pitched him on having a roster spot open for 2020-21, but who knows if any teams might've told Priskie through back channels that he'd get a shot this year. At any rate, it doesn't seem like Priskie reconsidered.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I bet you can influence Byfuglien with doughnuts.
Would Miles get suspended and/or fined for pushing one in to his face?

Hard to believe he'd lose on appeal given that this is the league of permitted face-lickers.

"And Wood threw one in front, it's poked away at by Hughes, in comes Buff... ohhhhh! He got the Tim Hortons special!"

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Wait what about donuts now??!!

giphy.gif

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
That's not how the league works anymore. Let's say Boqvist ends up making the team as the 3LW. That'd mean the 4th line would include 3 of Coleman, Zacha, Wood, Zajac, Simmonds. Far from scrubs

You and your damned agenda of trying to get people all riled up
My only problem with having Wood and Coleman on the 4th line is who becomes the RW and do they become useless playing their off wing? My initial thought is play Wood there and hope he can just utilize his speed to still be effective.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’m always down for some veteran PTOs. Bring in more competition and improve the last few spots of the team potentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad