Devils 2019-20 offseason team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I don’t disagree with your assessment, but I think Simmond’s would be better off with Hughes just for the protection factor alone. I don’t want to see big Bluff destroy Jack on opening night without anyone to take him to task.

I don't see that being unreasonable and despite Hughes zero experience, for the 'protection' purpose alone, would be more comfortable with Hughes and Simmonds than Zacha and Simmonds. At least with Hughes and Simmonds, Simmonds serves a purpose even if he might be struggling offensively. If Zacha and Simmonds were to be together and weren't exactly producing, it wouldn't be a very useful combination.

That being said, I don't think Simmonds will be an issue and think he will contribute positively to this team. A clean, healthy slate here could be what the doctor ordered.

He is also an upgrade to some of the depth signings made in the past under Shero, ala Fiddler and Boyle. Fiddler was a nice add at the time for the 4th line and just didn't work out, Boyle was a better add at the time for a more expanded role than Fiddler and worked out just fine, really was actually a fun player to root for and good all around player to have around. Simmonds has more upside than both at the time of his signing which makes the potential for this to work out even better and on a Devils team that has had more offensive depth and potential than at any point of these past 4 seasons.

like i said i doubt he'll return to his previous form but i dont think he's as bad as he was the past two seasons, if healthy

It could be a similar situation to Cory coming in the back half of last season, finally healthy and while not returning to prior form (yet at least considering how small the sample was), returning to respectable enough form to be able to help the team while not being a liability.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't see that being unreasonable and despite Hughes zero experience, for the 'protection' purpose alone, would be more comfortable with Hughes and Simmonds than Zacha and Simmonds. At least with Hughes and Simmonds, Simmonds serves a purpose even if he might be struggling offensively. If Zacha and Simmonds were to be together and weren't exactly producing, it wouldn't be a very useful combination.

That being said, I don't think Simmonds will be an issue and think he will contribute positively to this team. A clean, healthy slate here could be what the doctor ordered.

He is also an upgrade to some of the depth signings made in the past under Shero, ala Fiddler and Boyle. Fiddler was a nice add at the time for the 4th line and just didn't work out, Boyle was a better add at the time for a more expanded role than Fiddler and worked out just fine, really was actually a fun player to root for and good all around player to have around. Simmonds has more upside than both at the time of his signing.

It could be a similar situation to Cory coming in the back half of last season, finally healthy and while not returning to prior form (yet at least considering how small the sample was), returning to respectable enough form to being able to help the team while not being a liability.

The sample was small but he was basically the Cory of old again. .921 in his last 17 behind a terrible team after he returned for the last time.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The sample was small but he was basically the Cory of old again. .921 in his last 17 behind a terrible team after he returned for the last time.

I'm not sure he'll be back to the Cory of old over the course of a full season, but I am hopeful that he can at least be league average and keep us in games.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'm not sure he'll be back to the Cory of old over the course of a full season, but I am hopeful that he can at least be league average and keep us in games.

If he is healthy I have no doubts he can be a .920ish goalie. I just don't know if his body holds up. Hopefully having Blackwood there to help with the workload keeps him healthy

Reactions: nugg

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Had a big role in making that fourth line click which was as big in the playoffs during the cup run in 2012. That was one of the first couple of lines/teams that rolled with 4 competitive lines vs 3 and a 4th mixed in with fighters that we have seen pretty much become the norm now throughout the league.

A few highlights of his from that run.

Stephen Gionta crushes Jerred Smithson 4/19/12
Stephen Gionta Checks Colin Fraser 6/2/12

Last edited:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
16 goals and 40 helpers in 8 seasons, I knew he was a fourth liner but I thought he chipped in more than that, theres another goal from that Ranger playoff series I think he assisted on, I'm gonna find it.
Here it is... friggen awesome

Somewhere theres a picture of the three of them photo shopped onto a Ramones album cover, I think Sherri Ross did it back then. Carter / Bernier / Gionta's Brother !
cbgb-e7810ed5526a3d86.jpg

Last edited:

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008

Had a big role in making that fourth line click which was as big in the playoffs during the cup run in 2012. That was one of the first couple of lines/teams that rolled with 4 competitive lines vs 3 and a 4th mixed in with fighters that we have seen pretty much become the norm now throughout the league.

A few highlights of his from that run.

Stephen Gionta crushes Jerred Smithson 4/19/12
Stephen Gionta Checks Colin Fraser 6/2/12

Loved the guy. He was a favored whipping boy around these parts, but I always loved his heart, and work ethic.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
16 goals and 40 helpers in 8 seasons, I knew he was a fourth liner but I thought he chipped in more than that, theres another goal from that Ranger playoff series I think he assisted on, I'm gonna find it.
Here it is... friggen awesome

Somewhere theres a picture of the three of them photo shopped onto a Ramones album cover, I think Sherri Ross did it back then. Carter / Bernier / Gionta's Brother !
cbgb-e7810ed5526a3d86.jpg

I was thinking the exact same thing. He only had 16 goals? I had to read that again. That’s really surprising

Reactions: The 29th Pick

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
What's your lineup looking like now? What does everyone expect to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad