Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Any news on Wood? Can't Wait for he game in Sweden!

identifying-wood.jpg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
it’s not good news, but not necessarily bad

How far apart could they be? What’s a 20 goal scorer 35 point player with intangibles worth on a bridge deal after an ELC? Is it more complicated than that? Is this Wood’s father playing hardball based on his own contract experiences back in the ancient past? This isn’t Nylander trying for a long term 7 million dollar second contract. I really don’t get this one. Are there no comparables?

Reactions: glenwo2

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
How far apart could they be? What’s a 20 goal scorer 35 point player with intangibles worth on a bridge deal after an ELC? Is it more complicated than that? Is this Wood’s father playing hardball based on his own contract experiences back in the ancient past? This isn’t Nylander trying for a long term 7 million dollar second contract. I really don’t get this one. Are there no comparables?

His comparable is Blake Wheeler :sarcasm:

(I know this isn’t what you were asking)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

they’re probably a couple of million apart. i sincerely doubt wood remains unsigned at the start of camp but i guess it’s possible

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Burakovsky might be close. He was coming off 38 and 35 point seasons, including 17 goals in that 38 point season. He signed for 2 years at $3 million per year on a bridge deal. I would think something in that ballpark for Wood would be fair.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Burakovsky might be close. He was coming off 38 and 35 point seasons, including 17 goals in that 38 point season. He signed for 2 years at $3 million per year on a bridge deal. I would think something in that ballpark for Wood would be fair.

Thanks for finding that. Add in a bit of inflation to he cap and that should be the deal.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

The thing with Wood is I think he has some of the Tom Wilson or David Clarkson intangibles argument.

You can't really look at just points when you have a guy like Wood who has an ability to change the game at a moment's notice. Whether it's a fight, a breakaway out of nowhere, or him just being a reckless animal, he has a bit of a case to want more than your typical 30 point 22 year old.

Reminds me a lot when Clarkson got his 3 year 2.66 million deal. The two previous years he had 15g and 17a in 82 games and 11g and 13a in 46 games. Take the cap percentage of that and apply it to the current cap, Wood would be looking at 3.6 million over 3 years.

Also, Shero seems to play serious hardball when it comes to resigning RFAs to reasonable deals. Montreal gave Michael Peca 2 years at 1.3AAV yet Shero locks up Noesen and Coleman at deals around 1.8.

Last edited:
Reactions: Missionhockey

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The thing with Wood is I think he has some of the Tom Wilson or David Clarkson intangibles argument.

You can't really look at just points when you have a guy like Wood who has an ability to change the game at a moment's notice. Whether it's a fight, a breakaway out of nowhere, or him just being a reckless animal, he has a bit of a case to want more than your typical 30 point 22 year old.

Reminds me a lot when Clarkson got his 3 year 2.66 million deal. The two previous years he had 15g and 17a in 82 games and 11g and 13a in 46 games. Take the cap percentage of that and apply it to the current cap, Wood would be looking at 3.6 million over 3 years.

Also, Shero seems to play serious hardball when it comes to resigning RFAs to reasonable deals. Montreal gave Michael Peca 2 years at 1.3AAV yet Shero locks up Noesen and Coleman at deals around 1.8.

Clarkson had arbitration rights, Wood does not. That's really what it comes down to.

I don't know why they're looking at bridge deals unless the Devils are really being cautious about Wood's future health. A 2 year deal is exactly the wrong kind of deal - every other contract length between 1 and 5 would be better than throwing yet another RFA on to the summer 2020 pile.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
it’s not good news, but not necessarily bad

It's more towards the bad IMO. This is probably the look each time Woods' agent gives him an update. Given he isn't UFA eligible until 2023, Shero basically has him by the balls and wants a "show us again +" couple of years. To at 22 YO, 2023 is a long, long time from now.

Give him 2.5 AAV for 2 years and see what he can do.

Wood.PNG

Reactions: HockeysFinest

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Kase is a couple months younger than Wood and has 53 points in 119 regular season games and just signed for 3 years at 2.6mil.

Wood has 49 points in 137 regular season games. really different players in terms of how they play and who they play with but at the end of the day if they're looking at a bridge deal than Kase's deal sets a precedent

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Clarkson had arbitration rights, Wood does not. That's really what it comes down to.

I don't know why they're looking at bridge deals unless the Devils are really being cautious about Wood's future health. A 2 year deal is exactly the wrong kind of deal - every other contract length between 1 and 5 would be better than throwing yet another RFA on to the summer 2020 pile.
I think both sides have no clue where he'll top out, so a shorter term deal makes sense. It's kind of wait and see what he becomes, or at least get a clearer picture of what he CAN become.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Butcher, Wood + going to Ottawa for karlsson. Just waiting for training camp to start so we can see the drama on Devils hard knocks

Kidding, well sort of

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
At least preseason's only 2 weeks of meh now, I swear when I was a kid it was a much longer time period of boring useless hockey. Or maybe it just seemed that way because kids are impatient.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Welcome to Puck Drop Preview 2018-19, where Last Word On Hockey gives you a detailed look at each team around the NHL leading to the start of this hockey season and offers our insight and analysis. Make sure to stick around until the end of the series, where we’ll offer our full predictions for the standings in each division, and eventually our 2018-19 Stanley Cup Pick. You can check out all our articles on our Puck Drop Page. Today the series continues with the 2018-19 New Jersey Devils.

Puck Drop Preview: 2018-19 New Jersey Devils - Last Word on Hockey

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What day does camp open? Thursday or Friday? The first day is usually physicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad