Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
That brings up an interesting question. DSP won the cup last year. Oduya won it with Chicago in 2015 and Willie Mitchell won it in 2014 with the Kings. They are the last 3 Devils players to win the Cup.

Who do you guys think will be the next ex-Devil to win the cup?

Who do you think will be the next current Devil to win the cup?
jon merrill :sarcasm:

but actually.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
what free agents should we go after next offseason (assuming we make use of our delicious and plentiful capspace)?

i would be ecstatic if we landed mark stone

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Really surprised and disappointed that no one else said Kovalchuk! :sarcasm:

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
what free agents should we go after next offseason (assuming we make use of our delicious and plentiful capspace)?

i would be ecstatic if we landed mark stone

Ray should be keeping his eyes on Karlsson, Panarin, Seguin, Stone, Duchene, Bobrovsky?, Eberle, Wheeler, Myers, Hayes, Brassard, Nyquist, Zuccarello, Pacioretty, Nelson, Hagelin, Simmonds, Silfverberg, Lee, Ellis, Schmidt, Donskoi, Connolly.

Wow, next summer has some serious potential as a UFA class. Crazy to think Doughty, OEL, Mcdonagh, Hjalmarsson, Couture, and Jenner could have been a part of that listing as well.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
kings are old and suck though hehe
I agree with you, but with how incredibly popular and overrated that player still is, I’m surprised I haven’t read people touting how he pushes them over the top.

Reactions: OmNomNom

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I agree with you, but with how incredibly popular and overrated that player still is, I’m surprised I haven’t read people touting how he pushes them over the top.

Tbh for like a moment I forgot he even signed there, when you brought him up I misremembered and thought he signed with the Sharks :P (especially since he was rumored there pretty heavily with the Pete connection)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ray should be keeping his eyes on Karlsson, Panarin, Seguin, Stone, Duchene, Bobrovsky?, Eberle, Wheeler, Myers, Hayes, Brassard, Nyquist, Zuccarello, Pacioretty, Nelson, Hagelin, Simmonds, Silfverberg, Lee, Ellis, Schmidt, Donskoi, Connolly.

Wow, next summer has some serious potential as a UFA class. Crazy to think Doughty, OEL, Mcdonagh, Hjalmarsson, Couture, and Jenner could have been a part of that listing as well.

The best names on that list will never make it to market.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The best names on that list will never make it to market.

I could see one of Stone/Duchene making it to market. I could see Silfverberg. Panarin will if CBJ holds onto him. Karlsson could. Seguin will likely stay in Dallas. Bob will stay in CBJ. Eberle will stay in NYI. Wheeler will probably stay in WPG. Myers i think will make it to UFA.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I could see one of Stone/Duchene making it to market. I could see Silfverberg. Panarin will if CBJ holds onto him. Karlsson could. Seguin will likely stay in Dallas. Bob will stay in CBJ. Eberle will stay in NYI. Wheeler will probably stay in WPG. Myers i think will make it to UFA.

I imagine almost all of them will be traded and signed elsewhere before free agency.

Karlsson is also rather irrelevant since we already know he only has interest in going to the tax havens.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I imagine almost all of them will be traded and signed elsewhere before free agency.

Karlsson is also rather irrelevant since we already know he only has interest in going to the tax havens.

This statement is completely baseless and is untrue.

But yeah I agree only a select few of all those names will actually make it to UFA. I think the most realistic target is Silfverberg.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This statement is completely baseless and is untrue.

But yeah I agree only a select few of all those names will actually make it to UFA. I think the most realistic target is Silfverberg.

There is nothing untrue about it. It isn’t a coincidence Tampa and Dallas have been the favored landing spots for him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m not convinced signing a true UFA to a big money deal is we’ve wirth it unless it is a true needle mover like Tavares. I’m not sure I’d want to invest $7-$8 mil or more for 7 years for a player who hasn’t played on your team previously. Can you imagine if Grabner stayed all last season with NYR scored more than 30 goals and then signing Grabner as a UFA to a three year deal this offseason and getting what he gave NJ at the end of last season. Any UFA who is new to your team presents some element of that. The Sharks signed Kane with some confidence after he finished the season with them. I’m not sure they sign him to that long term deal if they didn’t know what to expect from him in the locker room already.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Stay away from Tyler Myers.

Big, slow, zero hockey sense. Chars sized motherf***er with no brain. And he’ll also get paid a little bit more because of his stupid Calder Trophy from what will be 9 years earlier. f*** signing him for what he’ll get. I’d definitely take him in the hypothetical situation that he was bought out and signs for cheap, but that circumstance is not one that’s going to be happening with him.

Reactions: Darkauron

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Question 1: Adam Larsson.
Still coached by raging loser Todd McLellan, so I don’t see it being this year. Maybe next year at the earliest, if they sack that disgraceful loser.

That guy’s teams always go out prematurely. It’s a decade long pattern. Can he win the cup coaching McDavid? I wouldn’t bet my house against it, but I’m skeptical.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I’m not convinced signing a true UFA to a big money deal is we’ve wirth it unless it is a true needle mover like Tavares. I’m not sure I’d want to invest $7-$8 mil or more for 7 years for a player who hasn’t played on your team previously. Can you imagine if Grabner stayed all last season with NYR scored more than 30 goals and then signing Grabner as a UFA to a three year deal this offseason and getting what he gave NJ at the end of last season. Any UFA who is new to your team presents some element of that. The Sharks signed Kane with some confidence after he finished the season with them. I’m not sure they sign him to that long term deal if they didn’t know what to expect from him in the locker room already.
To be fair, your exception to not signing UFAs is if its a guy like Tavares - the best free agent ever IIRC

I think we can afford to sign lesser guys too

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Only three teams are legit in on aquiring him. Two don’t have state income taxes.

This isn’t rocket science to figure out what is a motivating factor in his thinking since he has a NTC.

I see absolutely no evidence to make this assertion that it has anything to do with taxes - it could have as much to do with the weather or would-be teammates or any other thing. Not to mention that Karlsson hasn't been traded yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad