Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Have we traded for Lucic yet?:sarcasm:

No, but seriously dude, I'd totally trade for Lucic..... As long as Draisaitl was coming with him. I'd also take McDavid instead!:D

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
McDavid? Are you kidding me? Chiarelli would ask for Lovejoy and we can't afford to lose his Cup experience.
Lovejoy is better than all of them! Becuz it's the cup!:D

That needs to be an ad for next year's playoffs!

Reactions: My3Sons

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
A fun thought experiment: On July 23, well before this season starts, would you ever trade the Devils' 1st round pick for another team's?

One plus is that it gives you another reason to root for a win at all costs mentality. And you may end up with a pick from a team like Montreal which is all but guaranteed to be top-10. Remember, the Devils drafted Niedermayer by acquiring a 1st way in advance. I believe Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton were both drafted in this way as well.

On the other hand, if someone were to have tried acquiring the Devils' 2018 pick in July 2017 thinking they had a top-5 lotto pick they were in for a rude awakening when the Devils finished better than half the league. Moreover, it removes any silver lining from a bad season – your bad performance is somebody else's reward.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
A fun thought experiment: On July 23, well before this season starts, would you ever trade the Devils' 1st round pick for another team's?

One plus is that it gives you another reason to root for a win at all costs mentality. And you may end up with a pick from a team like Montreal which is all but guaranteed to be top-10. Remember, the Devils drafted Niedermayer by acquiring a 1st way in advance. I believe Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton were both drafted in this way as well.

On the other hand, if someone were to have tried acquiring the Devils' 2018 pick in July 2017 thinking they had a top-5 lotto pick they were in for a rude awakening when the Devils finished better than half the league. Moreover, it removes any silver lining from a bad season – your bad performance is somebody else's reward.

if im reading this right do you mean something like what sam pollock pulled off to get lafleur?

Last edited:

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018

I wouldn't. Like you mentioned we were thought to be out of the playoffs as well as Colorado and look what happened. There is more parity in the NHL than other leagues, so I'd rather control my own destiny

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I wouldn't. Like you mentioned we were thought to be out of the playoffs as well as Colorado and look what happened. There is more parity in the NHL than other leagues, so I'd rather control my own destiny

I'm not dealing it. I see us a fringe playoff team with chances being just as likely that we miss entirely. I don't think we'd be a basement team but who can you really say will be?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly the only incentives to do that kind of deal are altruism (both organizations want to avoid actual tanking) which is rarely a factor in trades, or both teams have to simaltaneously believe their odds/pick are going to be better. The only time I've ever heard of anything like that was a year in the early 2000's I think, when the Celtics offered their first-rounder in an even swap for the Nets' first-rounder in a year both teams were supposed to be bad because M.L. Carr didn't want to tank and the Nets declined.

If you're a borderline team it's impossible to make that deal, you'd have to make it with another borderline team with the risk that one of you makes the lottery and the other doesn't. The only chance that would happen is with two clearly bad teams.

It also doesn't make sense for organizations who know they're going to lose to de-incentivize losing since even if you don't want to actually tank you still want to play your younger players without consequence later in the season and not benefit someone else with your growing pains losses.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah I really don’t see the point in swapping picks.

If we trade our first it should be for a clear roster upgrade. Preferably at D or center. Best to keep it unless something juicy pops up.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

I would trade our 2019 1st rounder for Montreals. And Detroits. And Ottawa. and NYI. and NYR.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Right, for example: Devils trade 2019 1st and Taylor Hall to Washington for 2019 1st

classic hfboards...FYI we don’t have the cap space to take on washington’s 1st, so your example is complete horseshit. it would probably have to be washington’s 3rd to work, and even then i might not do it

Reactions: dzubrus8

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So at this point is it worth it to kick the tires on a defense PTO or is that position so crowded that any additional fringe player will just be a distraction? I imagine the team brings in two PTOs up front if for no other reason than to push the young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->