Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Still coached by raging loser Todd McLellan, so I don’t see it being this year. Maybe next year at the earliest, if they sack that disgraceful loser.

That guy’s teams always go out prematurely. It’s a decade long pattern. Can he win the cup coaching McDavid? I wouldn’t bet my house against it, but I’m skeptical.
So, I guess Bleed is back, eh?

He hasn’t went on a rant like that in quite a while. Neither on this forum, nor in our personal interactions.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So, I guess Bleed is back, eh?

He hasn’t went on a rant like that in quite a while. Neither on this forum, nor in our personal interactions.
I've been dying to go on the main board and start a brawl about how Hall is better than Larsson and we massively murdered Edmonton in that trade, or how Martin Jones is barely average after someone calls him top 10, or about Loser Todd, but I don't start topics, I just wait for someone else to post about it and those subjects have been very quiet lately.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
jon merrill :sarcasm:

but actually.
Now that I think about it, watch it be some random ass person like Stefan Matteau, who comes up during the playoffs as some 4th line plug and plays enough to get his name on the cup.

It will be even more funnier if he double his total NHL career goals in that playoffs and scored 4 or 5 goals during the run and someone dares to argue that we should never have traded him for a guy we only let walk (who also wound up winning a cup) a little over a year later, via buyout.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To be fair, your exception to not signing UFAs is if its a guy like Tavares - the best free agent ever IIRC

I think we can afford to sign lesser guys too

To me free agency is something you look into more once you've got the core of your team built and need supporting cast players to take the next step. Signing a 30 year old if you're still 2 years away from your contention window doesn't make a lot of sense because by the time you're in that window they're in decline. Which is why I'm fine with us not spending big on a player like JVR, or Neal. Those type of contracts usually go the same way where you get a couple good years out of them and then have 2-3 years of wondering why the hell you gave them the term you did.

Obviously there is no set in stone rule that you shouldn't sign anybody until a certain point, but you have to weigh where your team is and where you want it to be a few years down the road. Thinking purely about the present can lead to bad contracts that may not look bad at the moment but you end up regretting down the road. Which is why I don't freak out when we don't sign any of the mediocre free agents that are available (let's be honest this year's market was mostly garbage outside of Tavares and maybe JVR).

When the time is right, I think we'll be bigger players in free agency (although we'll likely never be a prime destination). Right now, I'm okay with taking the more patient approach of seeing what some of the younger players have and then making adjustments. I don't think we need to rush to fill holes by the time the season starts.

Reactions: My3Sons

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Only three teams are legit in on aquiring him. Two don’t have state income taxes.

This isn’t rocket science to figure out what is a motivating factor in his thinking since he has a NTC.

You're just making random assumptions. Maybe it's because Tampa has one of his good buddies Victor Hedman, who just so happens to be a LHD that Karlsson can play with? Or Dallas has Methot, his D partner for so many years and very good friend. His NTC is only a 10 team no trade list.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are the Panthers on his list? Not for tax reasons, but they have a very strong team with a really bright future!:sarcasm:

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Just a question out of curiosity. Has a team ever done as little as the Devils have this offseason? In terms of bringing in roster players outside the organization?

As of right now we have not added a single player to our roster from one season to another. That's pretty rare, no?

I like Shero's approach and I don't want any dumb signings, but just in terms of different looks I don't really remember any other team in similar position to have done as little as we have.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Random thought of the day...

I think Bratt is being semi forgotten about and that he continues his beginning of last season form and has a really good year.

20g, 25-30a season on the books in 2018-2019.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Just a question out of curiosity. Has a team ever done as little as the Devils have this offseason? In terms of bringing in roster players outside the organization?

As of right now we have not added a single player to our roster from one season to another. That's pretty rare, no?

I like Shero's approach and I don't want any dumb signings, but just in terms of different looks I don't really remember any other team in similar position to have done as little as we have.

I mean, I think the Devils did this in the 2006 off-season. They added Jim Dowd at some point but I think that was during the season, even. They added Jim Fahey at the end of training camp in the Malakhov deal. I believe that's about it - they might've added a goon who I cannot recall, but that was it.

Yakovlev might make the team - at least that seems like the intention - and I imagine there'll be either a forward signing or a few forward PTOs in training camp.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Random thought of the day...

I think Bratt is being semi forgotten about and that he continues his beginning of last season form and has a really good year.

20g, 25-30a season on the books in 2018-2019.

the fact that he stepped into an elimination game from the sidelines against tampa and was one of the best devils forwards - and showed that same patience and confidence with the puck - said a lot about bratt IMO

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I expect Shero has had some preliminary discussions with the new agency about Hall extending with NJ. If it’s a high priority you call the agent to discuss it. I can’t see Hall wanting to play out an extra year and leave something north of $80 mil on the table. That’s a risky gamble on his part and only makes sense if he really wants out which I don’t think is the case. Now the new agent could demand $13-14 mil and then Shero and the cap crunchers have to decide if Hall is worth that much long term.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I expect Shero has had some preliminary discussions with the new agency about Hall extending with NJ. If it’s a high priority you call the agent to discuss it. I can’t see Hall wanting to play out an extra year and leave something north of $80 mil on the table. That’s a risky gamble on his part and only makes sense if he really wants out which I don’t think is the case. Now the new agent could demand $13-14 mil and then Shero and the cap crunchers have to decide if Hall is worth that much long term.

Nobody is worth that much outside of maybe 1 player.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Nobody is worth that much outside of maybe 1 player.

I agree. I'm just curious why Hall would switch agents at this point. Either his old agent was pushing him to make a push as a UFA rather than negotiate a semi-reasonable deal with NJ or Hall wanted his agent to push NJ to the max on a contract or make a push for UFA. I'd be surprised if he switched "just because" or due to a personality conflict after so many years or due to something non-money related.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Wow, I just came across all of the newspaper articles from the Devils 95 Cup win. My sister was older than me and took the time to collect them and laminate quite a few of them. She has since passed away about 8 years ago or so.... ah, the feels.

A few pics from the only practice I ever went to (ended up being canceled but had no way of knowing until we got there, so only a few bigger players showed up), I can’t remember the one guy, it might be Peter Zezel? We got Valeri Zelepukin (I think) as he was going to his car with his daughter.

Glad I didn’t throw this box out blindly.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
I agree. I'm just curious why Hall would switch agents at this point. Either his old agent was pushing him to make a push as a UFA rather than negotiate a semi-reasonable deal with NJ or Hall wanted his agent to push NJ to the max on a contract or make a push for UFA. I'd be surprised if he switched "just because" or due to a personality conflict after so many years or due to something non-money related.

he hasn't had to negotiate a contract in 6 years or so? he hasn't had to think about changing agents since then, he's not going to do it 2-3 years out of actually needing them to negotiate. he's probably wanted to change agents for a while and if he's doing it now then it means he's probably ready to start talking

Reactions: HockeysFinest

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Wow, I just came across all of the newspaper articles from the Devils 95 Cup win. My sister was older than me and took the time to collect them and laminate quite a few of them. She has since passed away about 8 years ago or so.... ah, the feels.

A few pics from the only practice I ever went to (ended up being canceled but had no way of knowing until we got there, so only a few bigger players showed up), I can’t remember the one guy, it might be Peter Zezel? We got Valeri Zelepukin (I think) as he was going to his car with his daughter.

Glad I didn’t throw this box out blindly.

if the pics are from the '95 cup time it couldnt have been zezel… wasnt on team until '97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad