Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lol. I remember when he was with us in his final year, he had something like 1 goal in 41 games, and utterly useless whenever he stepped on the ice
Haha that 1 goal in 41 games. It was also a really weird goal that went off some Canes guy's skate in front of Cam Ward. And then he had the hat trick against the Canes early in the year, when Eddie Lack was in there.

LOL you gotta see Cammalleri's splits for the 16-17 season. 10 goals in 61 games. 4 goals against Carolina, 2 goals against Nashville, 2 goals against Pittsburgh, 1 goal against both Detroit and Toronto. He had three different multi-goal games that year and only scored 10 in total in 61 games. He really fell apart that year, which continued this past one. One more year in the league and he could completely blow up.
Yea sorry that comment was a little bitter lol. Still uneasy with Devils fans-Chia comments I guess :laugh:
You were right though it was a dumb acquisition, was evident the moment he arrived.

Are Devils fans worried that the lack of moves this summer will lead to missing the playoffs? Or are ya'll pretty confident you will be back?
I don't know. Maybe if Schneider doesn't suck for a third year in a row and Kinkaid can at least be average. Goaltending is the biggest question mark, since Schneider hasn't been reliable for the better part of 2 years. Even after looking like he bounced back last year, he still tanked his numbers back to the previous season's play over the last dozen starts he had. Too many weak goals allowed last year, which the eye test backs up for me. Only in the first half of the year it was Kinkaid allowing them, then in the second half of the year it was Schneider allowing them.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You consider solidifying the 2C spot as more valuable than getting a severely underrated top line talent??

I don’t define those things the way you just tried to do for me. A great wing with PZ and Bratt doesn’t strike me as a sure fire rock solid second line. I’m suggesting that you need more than the gap between a healthy MarJo and Stone to have a definite top 10 offense.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
If we could only make one acquisition/trade before the seasons start, should it be forward or defense?

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If we could only make one acquisition/trade before the seasons start, should it be forward or defense?

That depends. All things made equal, we need a high end defenseman more than we need a high end forward so if the acquisition is a big trade I'd say defenseman. But we don't really need another depth dman, we have enough of those honestly so if that's the type of player we'd get then I'd say forward.

Reactions: devilsblood

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
Why would Ottawa even want Mojo?

I don't have a perfect answer. Here are some reasons:

1a. On the one hand, they have 0 incentive to tanking this year – they don't own their own 1st rounder.
1b. For the sake of Dorion's job, he may need to ice a competitive squad, so maybe if he thinks this Stone deal will not get done he trades him for 85 cents on the dollar instead of 40 cents at the deadline.

2. You think about the things that EK would want if he were to stay: money (which could be an enticing reason for them to trade Stone if ownership is so averse to paying multiple players a lot of money), a good locker room (I'd say trading away a cyberbully and bringing in a fellow statesman are 2 good steps in the right direction), signs of competitiveness (let's face it, they currently are one of the worst teams in the league, but they have a lot of rich talent climbing the ranks). That's why they probably want a player of talent back in the trade

3. They've shown that they'd prefer to make "hockey trades" instead of player-for-picks: see Mike Hoffman for Mikkel Boedker. They traded away their homegrown 1st line 26-year old forward for a 2nd line 28-year old forward and picks. Sound familiar?

4. Both an upside and downside, Mojo is of little risk in that he is on a contract year. If he's healthy, he's good for 40 points. If he's healthy in March and Ottawa is out of contention, they could net a 2nd or perhaps a late 1st for him. Then this deal becomes 2 1sts and half a season of Johansson for Stone. If he's not healthy or he doesn't work out there, no major loss for Ottawa: they still might be able to trade him.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That depends. All things made equal, we need a high end defenseman more than we need a high end forward so if the acquisition is a big trade I'd say defenseman. But we don't really need another depth dman, we have enough of those honestly so if that's the type of player we'd get then I'd say forward.

We don’t really need a depth forward either though.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
We don’t really need a depth forward either though.

I could see an argument for a 3rd line RW but I'd much rather have the kids battle it out for that spot.

I'm perfectly fine with the roster right now. Unless there's a big deal to be made for a first pairing defenseman, I'd rather just keep what we have now going into the year without anymore additions.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
In fact, aren't we NOT allowed to re-sign him if we're still currently buying him out?
its only for 1 year they could technically resign him now I guess but they wouldnt been able to last year

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I could see an argument for a 3rd line RW but I'd much rather have the kids battle it out for that spot.

I'm perfectly fine with the roster right now. Unless there's a big deal to be made for a first pairing defenseman, I'd rather just keep what we have now going into the year without anymore additions.
but the kids can battle it out against any guy on pto during camp thats what pto are for

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
People complained all of last season about Hayes and Stafford even being on the roster, yet Cammalleri is a good idea? He's worse than those two guys are.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I'm sure we'll at a PTO or two for competition during training camp, but outside of that any acquisition should be for established talent that can push people down the lineup, top 6 C/RW or top pairing LD.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
why are we talking about cammalleri? aside from the buyout and the lackluster stats, ray basically overtly criticized him after his last season here when he said something to the effect of “certain players didn’t bring the level of effort needed every night. they won’t be back” and then bought him out. he’s never coming back here and for good reason

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

We just have too many kids seemingly prepared to try and win a spot. Clogging it up with a Rick Nash type seems foolish.

JQ, Anderson, McLeod, Speers, Lappin, and outside chance for a guy like Seney or even Gignac.

Reactions: Blender

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
why are we talking about cammalleri? aside from the buyout and the lackluster stats, ray basically overtly criticized him after his last season here when he said something to the effect of “certain players didn’t bring the level of effort needed every night. they won’t be back” and then bought him out. he’s never coming back here and for good reason

A big fork was stuck in him a few years ago

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
We just have too many kids seemingly prepared to try and win a spot. Clogging it up with a Rick Nash type seems foolish.

JQ, Anderson, McLeod, Speers, Lappin, and outside chance for a guy like Seney or even Gignac.

I totally agree

I'm just saying I could see an argument otherwise

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Our offseason was so quiet and bad, they should have just left us off the list.

Should have canceled Hall’s contract. The way to improve is to let your best player leave. It makes everyone else play harder, which is better.

Reactions: Blender
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad