Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
if mcleod and wood ever play on the same line...holy ****. i’ll have to record the games and watch them at half speed

I really want to see who is actually faster. I believe they are really close in straight line speed.

My assumption is Wood is faster, but I suspect it is close (which is crazy).

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
I'd easily trade Johansson and a 1st round pick to get Stone. Heck I don't think that would get it done. I'd even throw in Quenneville or maybe someone like Seney/Studenic/Bastian to get it done.

Stone is an unbelievable player and would excel in our system.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Stone would be great, I'd hesitate to give up the 2019 first though. We still aren't in a position to be straying too far from the course that was set in motion when Shero took over IMO.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Bracken Kearns scored 0 goals as a freshman at the University of Calgary in 2001-02; he was 20 years old. Since then he's played 35 NHL games and, assuming he makes it to Austria okay, has had a 14 year professional career. What a legend.

Reactions: Bleedred and Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Bracken Kearns scored 0 goals as a freshman at the University of Calgary in 2001-02; he was 20 years old. Since then he's played 35 NHL games and, assuming he makes it to Austria okay, has had a 14 year professional career. What a legend.

Look up Nello Ferrara, dude literally was calling teams and impersonating an agent to get himself tryouts and stuff.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I haven't really taken a good look at Detroit's cap situation until now, and damn are they squeezed...

Barely over $2M in space, with Larkin still yet to sign. A ton of unmovable contracts on that team, but I'd be curious to see what they'd give up for us to take on the remainder of Franzen's contract.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I haven't really taken a good look at Detroit's cap situation until now, and damn are they squeezed...

Barely over $2M in space, with Larkin still yet to sign. A ton of unmovable contracts on that team, but I'd be curious to see what they'd give up for us to take on the remainder of Franzen's contract.

I just can't see a team in Detroit's position giving up assets to move Franzen's contract. We don't know what's going on with Zetterberg, he's hinted that he might be incapable of playing another NHL season. That said, LTIR doesn't kick in until the end of training camp, so holding Larkin out that long would be somewhat desperate.

I'd like something like Greene at 50% retention and one of the Devils' C grade prospects for Kronwall-Nyquist-Franzen-2020 3rd. Trouble is that Kronwall has a 10 team trade list and I doubt the Devils are on that.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I just can't see a team in Detroit's position giving up assets to move Franzen's contract. We don't know what's going on with Zetterberg, he's hinted that he might be incapable of playing another NHL season. That said, LTIR doesn't kick in until the end of training camp, so holding Larkin out that long would be somewhat desperate.

I'd like something like Greene at 50% retention and one of the Devils' C grade prospects for Kronwall-Nyquist-Franzen-2020 3rd. Trouble is that Kronwall has a 10 team trade list and I doubt the Devils are on that.

Conversely, I could see them being very satisfied with the draft they just had, making them more willing to use picks as sweeteners instead of actual players. Ken Holland isn't usually one to deal from his NHL roster.

I'd certainly absorb Franzen as a means of acquiring Nyquist, but I just don't think that's the route they're going to take.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Detroit might be able to make some moves though, if Zadina and Veleno pan out, i can imagine they'd be able to move some parts.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US

I may be mistaken but to my understanding you can exceed the cap by 10% (7.95m) in the offseason, so they can extend Larkin and LTIR Franzen before the season begins in order to fit everybody in.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I may be mistaken but to my understanding you can exceed the cap by 10% (7.95m) in the offseason, so they can extend Larkin and LTIR Franzen before the season begins in order to fit everybody in.

LTIR doesn't start until just before the beginning of the season. This is (part of) why in 2006 the Devils had to wait to sign Martin and Gionta and they missed all of training camp. So yeah, they can fit everyone in, but they'd have to wait until October to sign Larkin.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Another team to look at in addition to Detroit is Minnesota. Winnipeg too. And Tampa if they're serious about Erik Karlsson.

The thing is, there are a few other teams who are in position to do exactly what Ray is looking to pounce on. So the Devils won't be the only one, which means this won't be as easy as we think.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Came across this gem again this morning. Probably like the 100th time I've seen it but Wood's speed amazes me every time.

How the f*** does Kalinin score that goal? Like seriously? Dude had like next to no skill at all! If Kalinin can score that goal, I'm sure everyone from Stefan Matteau to Ken Daneyko could have done that, at least once or twice in their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille