Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We just have too many kids seemingly prepared to try and win a spot. Clogging it up with a Rick Nash type seems foolish.

JQ, Anderson, McLeod, Speers, Lappin, and outside chance for a guy like Seney or even Gignac.

At the end of this past season, Lappin talked about the need to get quicker. Coleman noted that that was a point of emphasis for him last offseason. Now Coleman had good speed to begin with, but something did seem to click for him last year, will be interesting to see if Lappin can indeed improve that quickness to the point where he could be an effective NHL player.

After seeing him in NJ this past year I'm not all that high on Lappin but I thought the same about Coleman last year. So I do not rule out him playing the role of 13th fwd, mixing him into the lineup here and there. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he can work his way into that 4th RW spot.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Lappin has a good nose for the net

He does need to get quicker and stronger on his skates to get to the next level

If Lappin wants to make an impact in the NHL he needs to develop a game like Maroon or even a Clarkson prime. Needs to be more balanced on his skates and physical. I think if he is given some solid minutes he will produce.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
At the end of this past season, Lappin talked about the need to get quicker. Coleman noted that that was a point of emphasis for him last offseason. Now Coleman had good speed to begin with, but something did seem to click for him last year, will be interesting to see if Lappin can indeed improve that quickness to the point where he could be an effective NHL player.

After seeing him in NJ this past year I'm not all that high on Lappin but I thought the same about Coleman last year. So I do not rule out him playing the role of 13th fwd, mixing him into the lineup here and there. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he can work his way into that 4th RW spot.

Speers also seems to be saying the right things about what he needs to do going into camp so I haven’t totally given up hope on him snagging that bottom 6 spot either.

JQ obviously seems to know the score, and everything Joey said screams he is coming in to take a spot.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Coleman never got the chances up that Lappin did, Lappin has seemingly stalled out and is not improving

Lappin is improving, he topped 30 last season on a dreadful Bingo squad.

He only got 6 games up here.

Coleman in 2016-2017 scored 2 points in around 23 games in NJ.

Lappin def has a chance to make the bigs at RW but he simply has to get quicker and better balance.

He has decent scoring skills around the slot and net.

Reactions: MadDog172430

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
While I think Stone is better than Johansson, paying a premium for a marginal upgrade in a position that isn't a need is horribly stupid.
Mark Stone is a lot better than Johansson. He is an elite two way RW. He would be far and away our 2nd best winger on the team and I'd be surprised if he was not our 2nd best player if on this roster next season. I'd pay a lot to get him.

Reactions: jorge martinez

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Lappin is improving, he topped 30 last season on a dreadful Bingo squad.

He only got 6 games up here.

Coleman in 2016-2017 scored 2 points in around 23 games in NJ.

Lappin def has a chance to make the bigs at RW but he simply has to get quicker and better balance.

He has decent scoring skills around the slot and net.
Lappin has played 49 total Devils games

I dont see how Lappin is even in the top three prospects to make a roster spot this year, let alone the future

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Mark Stone is a lot better than Johansson. He is an elite two way RW. He would be far and away our 2nd best winger on the team and I'd be surprised if he was not our 2nd best player if on this roster next season. I'd pay a lot to get him.

Fun Fact

We picked Maxime Clermont 4 picks ahead of Stone

Reactions: OmNomNom

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fun Fact

We picked Maxime Clermont 4 picks ahead of Stone
EED456C0-12B9-456A-9E92-9707FCB45C33.jpeg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Lappin has played 49 total Devils games

I dont see how Lappin is even in the top three prospects to make a roster spot this year, let alone the future

He had a good season on a lousy BDevs team. He’s a true RW which the team needs and it’s likely he wouldn’t have to play any special teams and just take a RW4 shift at five on five for a season. If he can do that it gives the team flexibility to let McLeod and Anderson adjust their games for a season at the AHL level and maybe he’s better than the Hayes level PTO that might replace him for the season. Maybe he is nothing more than a AAAA player but if he has a bit more ability and determination than he showed in the AHL he could hold down a RW4 spot for a season without emabarrassing himself. Not as a prospect on the rise but as a place holder.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

Came across this gem again this morning. Probably like the 100th time I've seen it but Wood's speed amazes me every time.

if mcleod and wood ever play on the same line...holy shit. i’ll have to record the games and watch them at half speed

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->