Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Quenneville's shot definitely looks like a weapon on the PP.

If he's gonna be up (which he should be), then he absolutely should be on the PP.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I was disappointed that Lovejoy played RD3 ahead of Santini last season. This preseason it does not appear Santini impressed the coaches enough to move ahead of Lovejoy. I expect at some point Lovejoy will look awful in a game and Santini will be given a game or two at that point. I am disapppointed Santini hasn’t taken a step ahead of Lovejoy yet and I am not sure what is holding him back. It appears to me that Santini has a skill set that should allow him to be a reasonably successful third pairing defender. At least he has better tools than Lovejoy to my eyes. What do folks watching the defense closely see Santini misfiring on?

I don't think he reads the play well. When the opposition has the puck in the neutral zone and he's defending the blue line, he gives it up way too easily. People talk a lot on here about Mark Fayne but this is one of the things Fayne was excellent at was using his stick and body at the blueline to break up entries. I just don't see Santini doing that - I see him skating backwards and maybe limiting grade A chances but giving up a lot of B grade chances by doing so. I don't fully dismiss the idea that this could be what Nasreddine is telling him to do, but I'd be surprised if it were.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't think he reads the play well. When the opposition has the puck in the neutral zone and he's defending the blue line, he gives it up way too easily. People talk a lot on here about Mark Fayne but this is one of the things Fayne was excellent at was using his stick and body at the blueline to break up entries. I just don't see Santini doing that - I see him skating backwards and maybe limiting grade A chances but giving up a lot of B grade chances by doing so. I don't fully dismiss the idea that this could be what Nasreddine is telling him to do, but I'd be surprised if it were.
Right. He has gap control issues. He gives the opponent a bit too much respect. Part of it is probably because he doesn't really know all the opponents and doesn't know how much to give.

On the other hand, I like Santini's play over LJ's in front of the net. He's pretty good at boxing out opponents and keeping their sticks tied up. LJ seems to lose his man a lot, and also seems to have frequent gaffs like falling while trying to stop a cross-crease pass. I also prefer Santini's breakout over LJ's. It's completely anecdotal, but it feels like well over half the time LJ can't get the puck out. He seems to make passes that are intercepted, go for icings, or put his teammates in horrible positions. It's a lack of vision combined with an inability to skate to get better angles on passes, along with a little bit of panic.

I don't know anyone else has noticed this, but LJ seems to get better if he score a goal or assist. He starts shooting a lot in the offensive zone, and in the defensive zone he seems a bit more confident and energized.

When it comes down to it, if they're about equal, I'd probably prefer Santini to play, since some of his problems (gap control) can be learned. We're also unlikely to re-sign LJ after this season, so I'd to get some experience under Santini's belt to possibly take over the spot next year.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Wood-Zajac-Quenneville
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen

Mueller-Vatanen
Greene-Severson
Butcher-Lovejoy

is how I see the season starting/is what id like to see for opening night

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Looks like JQ and Santini are scratches today.

Also, for the love of god can they stop with Zajac on the PP, especially the first unit lol?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I don't think that is ever going away.

Also, is Dea playing?

It looks like he is.

Yea, unfortunately you are right. The staff is just being daft and stubborn in thinking a player that hasn't broken 50 points in 8 years, even with all the PP time he is given and first and second line minutes he has gotten, is some how a good option to use still.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
why the hell is Quenneville a scratch?

Please dont tell me were giving that experience of playing in another country to a vet who isnt making the team over Quenneville (Stafford)...

edit: nevermind its for Dea, still sucks the kid doesnt get to play

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
why the hell is Quenneville a scratch?

Please dont tell me were giving that experience of playing in another country to a vet who isnt making the team over Quenneville (Stafford)...

edit: nevermind its for Dea, still sucks the kid doesnt get to play

Q and Santini are both playing today as you can dress 20 skaters in the Swiss league, which the Devils are doing. Dea will get a shot with Wood and Zajac - not sure if that means he's ahead of Q for that spot on opening night of if they just want to get a chance to watch him play with the team before deciding.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Q and Santini are both playing today as you can dress 20 skaters in the Swiss league, which the Devils are doing. Dea will get a shot with Wood and Zajac - not sure if that means he's ahead of Q for that spot on opening night of if they just want to get a chance to watch him play with the team before deciding.
they are not playing
Twelve forwards, six defenseman, two goalies is twenty. Quenneville and Santini are out. UNLESS they dont include the goalies and im just freshly awoken lol

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It looks like he is.

Yea, unfortunately you are right. The staff is just being daft and stubborn in thinking a player that hasn't broken 50 points in 8 years, even with all the PP time he is given and first and second line minutes he has gotten, is some how a good option to use still.

We had a top 10 PP last year. Would you care to rehash any of your other tired complaints?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zajac is on the power play because he is a right-handed shot. That's it. Handedness matters a lot on the power play - if you want to run a power play like NJ's, it's going to be worse if a left-handed shot is put in the box, regardless of who it is.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Zajac is on the power play because he is a right-handed shot. That's it. Handedness matters a lot on the power play - if you want to run a power play like NJ's, it's going to be worse if a left-handed shot is put in the box, regardless of who it is.

RHS, faceoffs, and he’s still our best player at winning the puck and maintaining possession in the offensive zone.

Once we get the puck he’s essentially just a decoy and will just cover Hall - Palmieri if they get into sticky situations.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Wood-Zajac-Quenneville
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen

Mueller-Vatanen
Greene-Severson
Butcher-Lovejoy

is how I see the season starting/is what id like to see for opening night

This is essentially what it will be. I genuinely like the top 3 lines. Each one has a little bit of everything. The defense though... that's not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad