Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I've noticed a lot of hesitation to shoot this preseason

Hope they think shoot more and get more pucks on net.

It frustrated me this preseason

Too many shots passed up and not a lot of clean shots getting through.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Devils have never been a sexy pick to finish high. Even when they were winning cups.

One thing I keep hearing get mentioned is that Hall isn't going to have the same season this year. What if he gets better? I mean it will be his second season with Nico, it could happen...

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Devils have never been a sexy pick to finish high. Even when they were winning cups.

One thing I keep hearing get mentioned is that Hall isn't going to have the same season this year. What if he gets better? I mean it will be his second season with Nico, it could happen...

he also missed like 2 weeks and had a nagging thumb injury the entire 2nd half of the year

is it likely? Probably not. Is it impossible? Nope.

Reactions: My3Sons

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I stopped listening to the new PDOcast today when Dimitri put us only above five other teams in his watchability rankings. As per his Reddit AMA today, he put the Canes as the fifth team in the Metro to make the playoffs, just above us. Because that’s worked well the last twenty million times the “experts” and their “advanced” stats have predicted the exact same thing.

Respect is given, not earned. Unless it’s us, in which case, **** you, you’re not getting it.

I listened to that on my drive in this morning. Was a bit surprised how low they had the Devils ranked - seems like the list is mostly about star power and style of play really isn't considered. It was basically viewed as Hall and Nico and that's it. Not sure how that still keeps us behind a team like Montreal.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I listened to that on my drive in this morning. Was a bit surprised how low they had the Devils ranked - seems like the list is mostly about star power and style of play really isn't considered. It was basically viewed as Hall and Nico and that's it. Not sure how that still keeps us behind a team like Montreal.
So he shifted the goalposts from last year when he had the Devils at 21 for style of play reasons. It helps that last season they made the list a little bit into the season.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

A lot of rankings have the Devils in the 23-26 range that I've read.

I can certainly see why people would think that. The Devils were a neutral goal differential and negative shot differential team last year who relied tremendously on a career year by one player. They didn't add anyone of substance in the offseason. If they have the same possession and goal performance again they likely won't make the playoffs.

The upshot is that we have a lot of younger players with room to grow. Hischier obviously needs to take a step this year, but so do Zacha and Butcher. If all three of those guys get better this year I think the playoffs are within reach.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That’s been a problem for years, and before the current coaching staff came in. All the same, the shots come and go over the course of the game. It’s weirdly uneven, but when they’re on, they’re on.

'Before the current coaching staff came in' - the Devils have 3 skaters from before the current coaching staff: Travis Zajac, Andy Greene, and Damon Severson. Maybe a hesitation to shoot isn't just a Devils thing.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
What do we think is realistic ice time for Wood this year?

Last year he averaged 11:30/gm at ES, 0:57 on the PP and 0:34 SH (12:28 total).

I can see the ES figures jumping up a little, but I'm hoping to see a big increase in PP time.

palek1019

Oct 7, 2017

I can certainly see why people would think that. The Devils were a neutral goal differential and negative shot differential team last year who relied tremendously on a career year by one player. They didn't add anyone of substance in the offseason. If they have the same possession and goal performance again they likely won't make the playoffs.

The upshot is that we have a lot of younger players with room to grow. Hischier obviously needs to take a step this year, but so do Zacha and Butcher. If all three of those guys get better this year I think the playoffs are within reach.

That and hopefully, a healthy MoJo, Palms, and Zajac. That second line is going to be crucial. It looks promising so far.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I can see the ES figures jumping up a little, but I'm hoping to see a big increase in PP time.
He has looked good so far this preseason. He is one of the biggest dark horses in the league right now just due to th unknown.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i would assume his ice time goes up, although i don’t know by how much. the question is, who’s ice time will be going down as a result

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

This was a "watchability" ranking though, not where they think the Devils will finish.

Devils were middle-of-the-pack in scoring and goals against last season, so scoring in their games should be close to league average. Even if they take a step back, it’s reasonable to assume they will at least be competing for a playoff spot. I wasn’t expecting us to be in the top half of the rankings, but was certainly lower than I expected. Certainly didn’t take into account the style of play or any players beyond Hall and Nico.

Teams such as Montreal, Arizona, Vancouver and Carolina were all listed ahead of us. None besides Carolina really projects to compete for a playoff spot and you could argue NJ’s star power versus any of those teams.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I'll predict about 14 minutes per game this year, however that splits out.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

That and hopefully, a healthy MoJo, Palms, and Zajac. That second line is going to be crucial. It looks promising so far.

And our goaltending largely sucked until the middle of February. Better play in the crease will do wonders for this team.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
He has looked good so far this preseason. He is one of the biggest dark horses in the league right now just due to th unknown.

He had the speed two years ago.
Added the cornering last year.
Looks like this year he added silky smooth mitts.

I'm pretty psyched. Probably could've written this as haiku.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad