Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Lol if Lovejoy plays over Stantini I'm gonna pitch a fit.

And no, I don't care if it's "just the beginning of the year." Santini should be in over Lovejoy. End of story.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

And no, I don't care if it's "just the beginning of the year." Santini should be in over Lovejoy. End of story.
Santini has been worse than Lovejoy since the middle of last year, and it hasn't looked any different in the preseason. Santini needs to step up if he wants to play regularly again.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm actually surprised it took this long for someone to complain about Lovejoy over Santini. I figured it would happen within 2 minutes of that being posted, with the fetish and over-hyping that some have for Santini.

I was actually about to post a couple hours ''In before the ensuing complaining about Lovejoy playing over Santini''.

I still really believe that Santini is only here because he now has to go on waivers if we sent him to the AHL. Although I was surprised at the extension that Shero gave him, so maybe they do like him more than I previously thought. I figured his deal would be a one year deal for under a million, maybe two years for under a million.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm gonna hop in with my (self proclaimed) irrational criticism of Nasreddine. I feel like there's been no progression in Severson and Santini, and in fact, they may have regressed.

If none of Butcher, Santini, or Severson take a step this year, I'll start to think that the perhaps my criticism isn't so irrational.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm gonna hop in with my (self proclaimed) irrational criticism of Nasreddine. I feel like there's been no progression in Severson and Santini, and in fact, they may have regressed.

If none of Butcher, Santini, or Severson take a step this year, I'll start to think that the perhaps my criticism isn't so irrational.
I think Santini may just not be that good. At the same time, he's probably not as bad as he was last year and in the role he was used. He might be fine in a lesser role, like he was the year before. Santini may have regressed because of his usage.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i never thought i’d say “ben lovejoy is underrated” but we’re getting there

It's all relative assuming by underrated you mean he can still play in a top six...we've had a lot of third pairing/fourth-line guys that get treated like they're net negatives.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
What became of Yakovlev?
Assigned to Binghamton.

Have fun elevating your blood pressure over such a fringe player. People only think Santini is better than LJ because he’s young.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If we end up getting 3rd line nhl production out of JQ who many were writing off and anything near 1st defensive pairing defensive ability from Mueller, this team will take the next step forward this year.
That is not a guarantee. Hall had a ridiculous season where he completely carried us that may be difficult to repeat.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Hall-Nico-Wood
Butcher-Palmieri

Johansson-Zajac-Bratt
Zacha-Vatanen
JQ almost certainly should be getting a spot on PP2 to start. He has been very good there. Zajac does not need a spot IMO and if you need him, take Wood off PP1 for him.

Reactions: Bleedred

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I was disappointed that Lovejoy played RD3 ahead of Santini last season. This preseason it does not appear Santini impressed the coaches enough to move ahead of Lovejoy. I expect at some point Lovejoy will look awful in a game and Santini will be given a game or two at that point. I am disapppointed Santini hasn’t taken a step ahead of Lovejoy yet and I am not sure what is holding him back. It appears to me that Santini has a skill set that should allow him to be a reasonably successful third pairing defender. At least he has better tools than Lovejoy to my eyes. What do folks watching the defense closely see Santini misfiring on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad