Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
The bolded teams are the only teams in the league that would comfortably be able to take on a player that makes 5 million or more without subtracting anybody from their roster.

Carolina
Columbus
New Jersey
NYI

NYR
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Boston
Buffalo
Detroit
Florida
Montreal

Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Toronto

Chicago
Colorad0
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Anaheim
Arizona
Calgary
Edmonton

Los Angeles
San Jose
Vancouver
Vegas

So CBJ, NJ, NYI, OTT, COL, ANA, LAK are the only teams that are truly in prime position to "take advantage" of a team in salary cap trouble. Of those 7 teams, I'd say only 4 are realistic are realistically ready to improve their roster right now by trading away a package of futures: Colorado, New Jersey, New York Islanders, and Columbus. Ottawa won't spend the money, and Anaheim/Los Angeles are an older group ready to enter rebuild mode.

The Devils really are one of about 4-6 teams that truly has cap space.
I love this list, because everytime someone panics over Hall leaving for a contender, they forget that no contenders can afford Hall without tearing up their roster next summer. Of those teams, NJ and COL are literally the only ones I can see competing for Hall.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So are we just done with the prospect and current player rankings...?
Nope. I only posted the last round of them yesterday afternoon and figured I want at least 24 hours of voting, so I'm doing the next round tonight.

I may have problems keeping up at the end of the week though. Headed to San Francisco for 6 days to attend my grandmother's 100th B-day party. I'll post them if/when I can, but if anyone else wants to take them over for next weekend, be my guest.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Nope. I only posted the last round of them yesterday afternoon and figured I want at least 24 hours of voting, so I'm doing the next round tonight.

I may have problems keeping up at the end of the week though. Headed to San Francisco for 6 days to attend my grandmother's 100th B-day party. I'll post them if/when I can, but if anyone else wants to take them over for next weekend, be my guest.

Ahh, nice. You only turn 100 once.

I mean, most of us don't even do that.

Reactions: OmNomNom

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Ideally, Butcher should be bridged for two years at like $4 or $4.5 to see what he is. His rookie year was obviously great but I wasn't overly impressed, nor let down, by last year. I'd like to see how he handles a larger role for an extended period before committing to him.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I love this list, because everytime someone panics over Hall leaving for a contender, they forget that no contenders can afford Hall without tearing up their roster next summer. Of those teams, NJ and COL are literally the only ones I can see competing for Hall.

Fully agree.

One year after Hall hits UFA Colorado needs to sign Landeskog and Makar. Two years after Hall is a UFA they'll need to sign Byram, and three years after Hall they need to sign MacKinnon. Assuming Rantanen gets 10ish this summer, I'm not so sure they want to go throwing money around the UFA market. I'm really not sure who else would sign Hall at this point. Has the league ever been as capped out as it is now? Maybe like 2006 when it was new and no one knew how to manage it?

Reactions: Sgt Brylin

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
As much as I'd like to believe that most contending teams are capped out and unable to act, some will make room for him and figure the rest out later, even if it means pulling a Subban or Marleau-type deal. The talking period before July also works to their advantage in this scenario because once you have a handshake deal, you can set other things in motion. I think the current perception around the league is that you get the top end talent set for your team and work everything around that (as it probably should be). Dubas aside, haha.

If I'm not mistaken, the Subban deal was in the works for a while, right? Weeks if not months? In a similar fashion, I'm sure teams will have as many scenarios mapped out for Hall as they did for Tavares.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Im to the point with the Hall thing where im cool with or without him

I think the likelihood he gets done is high but you never know

And while I understand the positives of waiting - Ill be disgruntled if Hall isnt figured out by October. If health is enough of an issue than move him

Reactions: mdj12784

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
One year after Hall hits UFA Colorado needs to sign Landeskog and Makar. Two years after Hall is a UFA they'll need to sign Byram, and three years after Hall they need to sign MacKinnon. Assuming Rantanen gets 10ish this summer, I'm not so sure they want to go throwing money around the UFA market. I'm really not sure who else would sign Hall at this point. Has the league ever been as capped out as it is now? Maybe like 2006 when it was new and no one knew how to manage it?
It didn't stop Toronto from signing Tavares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad