Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
This wood guy has some special abilities but the main reason he could be a very very valuable piece is he's complete package of different abilities.

There are plenty of players in the NHL who can skate as him, there are plenty players who can grind/compete as him there are plenty who goes to net and score 20 goals as him but the big difference is he's got all three of not more in one package.

But if they can't agree then it's not because of money it's because he want something different. Shero, Hynes, and Castron want to assemble a group of guys who want to be here and win together if wood dosent want that I can tell you that I got a feeling that some gm's will pay a lot for a guy like him, especially out west. They love these old school type gritty can score type players who dosent grow on trees anymore.

Identity my a.. Identity is to support the group and the people who help you get there.

Trade him if he acts like a primmadonna imagine how hard he's next contract then will be to negotiate.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Pretty surprising the amount of leeway ownership and management is getting here.

But, I also don't actually know what numbers have been exchanged. Assuming Shero used Anderson as a basis and Wood has come in around Kase - that's a difference that I think is immaterial to the Devils. As a fan, I don't care if Wood costs $1.5 million against the cap or $2.5 million. Neither number should affect what the Devils do in the short term or long term.

I don't necessarily fault Shero or Wood on this. Shero has a point of view of how Wood fits into the long term salary structure. Wood, meanwhile, is doing the only thing that the system allows him to do: not sign / not report.

That said, I think the onus is on Shero here. He's the guy building the team. He needs to consider if forcing a contract number on Wood will harm the relationship long term vs whether it makes sense to bend a little and get a deal done. If he's willing to burn the relationship, I hope he's started thinking about trades. There's no need for a malcontent on the team.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
other seuss hits:

----
One Mil.
Two Mil.
Or I'm no.
Devil.

----
Oh! The places I"ll go,
If I don't get paid.
There are goals to be scored,
And games to be played.
And the magical things I can do with that puck.
Means I should be paid a whole lot, you dumb f***.

----
And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say - that the Woody's small paycheck grew three sizes that day. And then - the true meaning of teamwork came through, and Woody scored goals of ten Janssen's, plus two!

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
And I just said I may be guilty of over-correcting at times. But I'm sure the truth is firmly planted somewhere in the middle.

As for the very tired "If you have a problem with the team root for someone else" thing, which is like the throwing out the "If you dont like Murica, why don't y'all pack up and leave!" during a discussion about a political issue, its not even worth addressing that silliness.

I've been passionate about this state and this organization for much of my life and my family, and now myself directly, has poured a significant amount of money into their coffers and continues to for literally decades.

On the issue of hockey operations budget... if the Devils do have the approach that I believe they do, I would accept it and continue to support the program. I would not be happy about it, but I would. My issue right now is the uncertainty of it and my suspicion that they are being misleading about it.

200w.gif

This is so ridiculous at this point. They offered Shattenkirk more money than the Rangers, they were in on JVR. Hall will get a blank check, just stop.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Pretty surprising the amount of leeway ownership and management is getting here.

But, I also don't actually know what numbers have been exchanged. Assuming Shero used Anderson as a basis and Wood has come in around Kase - that's a difference that I think is immaterial to the Devils. As a fan, I don't care if Wood costs $1.5 million against the cap or $2.5 million. Neither number should affect what the Devils do in the short term or long term.

I don't necessarily fault Shero or Wood on this. Shero has a point of view of how Wood fits into the long term salary structure. Wood, meanwhile, is doing the only thing that the system allows him to do: not sign / not report.

That said, I think the onus is on Shero here. He's the guy building the team. He needs to consider if forcing a contract number on Wood will harm the relationship long term vs whether it makes sense to bend a little and get a deal done. If he's willing to burn the relationship, I hope he's started thinking about trades. There's no need for a malcontent on the team.

how is the onus on Shero when Wood has literally no leverage and Wood's agent agrees with Shero on term?

There are plenty of comparables out there for what Wood should be making. It should be anywhere from $1.75 to $2.5 (in that ballpark). If Wood and his agent are really going to have him hold out over $500k-750k, I think Wood needs a new agent. Why should Shero just give in to the player, who again has absolutely no leverage? How do you think that will look when we have to give new deals to Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, etc in the next 1-2 years?

Last edited:

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018

I can understand it here tho from this standpoint. I just watched the movie "All the money in the world" about the Getty family where the grandfather would not pay ransom for the kidnapped grandson (long story short) saying - I have 13 other grandchildren, if i pay here it will be open season on my family".

So I really can see the logic on needing to hold firm on a line with Wood considering all the young players who will need contracts coming. But I have been on record saying that the cap thing is incredibly overblown. The Devils are so far from being in a place where the cap is even on the horizon its humorous.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Or you know people that have zero idea how a rfa with no negotiation rights is holding out for no good reason.. Hmmm thinking...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This wood guy has some special abilities but the main reason he could be a very very valuable piece is he's complete package of different abilities.

There are plenty of players in the NHL who can skate as him, there are plenty players who can grind/compete as him there are plenty who goes to net and score 20 goals as him but the big difference is he's got all three of not more in one package.

But if they can't agree then it's not because of money it's because he want something different. Shero, Hynes, and Castron want to assemble a group of guys who want to be here and win together if wood dosent want that I can tell you that I got a feeling that some gm's will pay a lot for a guy like him, especially out west. They love these old school type gritty can score type players who dosent grow on trees anymore.

Identity my a.. Identity is to support the group and the people who help you get there.

Trade him if he acts like a primmadonna imagine how hard he's next contract then will be to negotiate.
I'm going to disagree that there are plenty of players that can skate like Wood. A very select few can match his speed.

That's what separates him from say Coleman, who has decent speed, decent size and plays with abandon. Noesen to an extent as well.

Another thing that Wood has that most NHL players do not is untapped potential. I look at his limited hockey background and think he is still far away from being a finished product.

Not saying he should get paid for the latter, he should prove himself and then get paid accordingly on the next go around, but that is something that could keep me from trading him at this point in the process.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Leafs fan in peace. Just wondering how Schneider is coming alongfrom injury or looking in camp?
Thanks.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Leafs fan in peace. Just wondering how Schneider is coming alongfrom injury or looking in camp?
Thanks.

he's making progress, but he's not gonna be ready for the home opener. most of us in here are of the belief that he should take his time, esp when early games in the season don't matter as much and you have time on your side

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

he's making progress, but he's not gonna be ready for the home opener. most of us in here are of the belief that he should take his time, esp when early games in the season don't matter as much and you have time on your side

All games have 2 points for grabs, but he should not be rushed

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
per Chris Ryan, roster for tonight:

FORWARDS
Joey Anderson
Blake Coleman
Kurtis Gabriel
Michael McLeod
Blake Pietila
John Quenneville
Kevin Rooney
Brett Seney
Blake Speers
Drew Stafford
Marian Studenic
Pavel Zacha
Travis Zajac
DEFENSEMEN
Will Butcher
Eric Gryba
John Rammage
Steven Santini
Damon Severson
Colton White
Egor Yakovlev
GOALIES
Keith Kinkaid
Cam Johnson

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

FORWARDS
Joey Anderson
Blake Coleman
Kurtis Gabriel
Michael McLeod
Blake Pietila
John Quenneville
Kevin Rooney
Brett Seney
Blake Speers
Drew Stafford
Marian Studenic
Pavel Zacha
Travis Zajac
DEFENSEMEN
Will Butcher
Eric Gryba
John Rammage
Steven Santini
Damon Severson
Colton White
Egor Yakovlev
GOALIES
Keith Kinkaid
Cam Johnson
adding site link:
Devils training camp observations | Why Jesper Bratt wants to shoot more, Cory Schneider update

noteworthy:
The most notable move there is Michael McLeod moving to the right wing after getting some reps at center in Monday's preseason loss to the Rangers. While McLeod was drafted as a center and the Devils likely want that to be his long-term position, NHL opportunities at center may be limited this season.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Reactions: HBK27

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

FORWARDS
Joey Anderson