Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
IMO the right move. His speed can burn a lot of people along the boards and outside.
And it's an open spot.

In the long run, if he can be a productive center then he should be a center, but in the short term this could help the team, and it could be good for him getting him into the league earlier.

I think a deciding factor could be how disruptive he can be on the forecheck. Something to look for tonight.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
It's absolutely ridiculous to think our owners are cheap.

They are funneling millions of dollars every year into the arena to renovate it. You think that paying Wood a million or 2 more will affect them?

Shero knows he has a lot of young players that he will need to re-sign sooner rather then later and he doesn't want it to get out of hands

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The Devils actually have a decent group of prospects for the first time in YEARS.

If Shero went nuts signing free agents or making some trades, there would be zero slots open for competition in camp... Meaning Lappin and Quenneville are spending another year in Binghamton when they probably should be in the NHL. Meaning McLeod, Smith, Anderson, Speers have nothing to compete for.

Cap space absolutely has to be a factor.
Wood still has to be signed. Next offseason, Johansson, Boyle (probably gone) Zacha, Noesen, Butcher, Mueller, and Kinkaid need new deals. The offseason after that Hall, Hischier, Anderson, Bratt, Greene (probably gone) and Vatanen need new deals.

Going all in on a free agent and decreasing cap space by 8-11 million for the next 5-7 years is not a good idea. I think when these RFAs all get signed and Hall gets his big contract, THEN the excess cap space becomes more "usable." In the meantime, you all have to assume Shero is working on trades.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
And questioning whether or not we have an internal cap when all signs point to it not being the case

This post is not accurate at all. It seems very few are obsessed with this. Further, there are no signs that point away from this as speaking for myself, I have acknowledged several times that the owners spend tons of money on their physical plant, the surrounding area and their real estate development at large in both of their major sports properties but have yet to spend it on player contracts.

This would obviously not be because they couldn't afford it, I would assume, if true, because they didnt believe it was smart, or presented a good ROI, or something along those lines. They would not be the first (read Moneyball for example), if this was indeed the case, to approach this with a view other than "he who spends the most wins".

The Devils are now last in Projected Cap (without a Wood contract - will likely move up to 2nd to last

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Sixers seem to be in the same position in the projected 2018-2019 NBA rankings

NBA Contracts Summary | Basketball-Reference.com

So you don't have to agree - and you obviously don't, but to say "all signs point" in the other direction is not the case.

And why do I keep posting about it? Because people keep posting the same stuff back at me. Difference is it is many people posting the same thing back at me while its just me posting the same stuff back at them.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Wooooow because we are not spending much money means the owners dont care about the team and are cheap who knew!? Or maybe it because this team is young and we DONT NEED TO YET? These same posts really get old

Reactions: HBK27

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The Devils are now last in Projected Cap (without a Wood contract - will likely move up to 2nd to last

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The money printing Maple Leafs are 3rd to last. So this is, really, a terrible a metric to judge spending on.

Our young players are still on their ELCs and our more experienced players are underpaid (Hall) or on good deals (Palms). This happens. It's a great spot to be in.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
FORWARDS
Marian Studenic - Brett Seney - Drew Stafford
John Quenneville - Pavel Zacha - Joey Anderson
Blake Coleman - Travis Zajac - Michael McLeod
Blake Pietila - Kevin Rooney - Blake Speers

DEFENSEMEN
Will Butcher - Steven Santini
Egor Yakovlev - Damon Severson
Colby Sissons - John Ramage

GOALIES
Starter: Keith Kinkaid
Backup: Cam Johnson

Devils' lines, pairings vs. Islanders (9/20/2018) | Big chance for lineup full of bubble players

Seems like Studenic has been having a good preseason. Still very much a long-shot to make the opening night roster, but I think that's a good sign they're pairing him with Seney and Stafford (two players with much more realistic chances of making it) for tonight's game. Studenic seems to have the most "surprise camp" potential like Bratt last year, but will still almost certainly start in the AHL. Will be interesting to watch that line tonight.

Great chance to see how Quenneville and Anderson look out there together - two players really fighting for a spot. Also really like McLeod moving to RW at this point. That's where the opening is and I recall reading something after the Rangers game about how his play in the game was much more suited towards a winger than center. Pietila had a strong game versus the Rangers and I could see him working his way into the 13th/14th forward conversation as he's already 25 and could be a player they're OK with scratching for games at a time.

Yakovlev really needs to rebound with a solid performance tonight to still be in the conversation for a spot on the opening night roster.

Will be cool to see Sissons playing as well. Were Sissons and Ramage the only two players in the lineup tonight that didn't play on Monday?

Reactions: OmNomNom

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
do I need to go through the list of players that we have re-signed in the past ~5 years to decent to large contracts?

I'm not in the mood for this today. The season is 2 weeks away, keep your cap and ownership stuff out of here
It's like a trigger with him. Don't bring up cap or contracts (which is very hard to do) or ownership and he won't show up!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't the 76ers just try to sign LeBron? Or did they just miss out because they decided to give him a lowball offer?

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
do I need to go through the list of players that we have re-signed in the past ~5 years to decent to large contracts?

I'm not in the mood for this today. The season is 2 weeks away, keep your cap and ownership stuff out of here

You can give the andy greene list again if you'd like. The NHL has rules and a cap floor. withoutthose contracts the devils would be in violation of those rules. There is a minimum you have to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And why do I keep posting about it? Because people keep posting the same stuff back at me. Difference is it is many people posting the same thing back at me while its just me posting the same stuff back at them.

No you keep posting about it and your other handful of negative talking points at all times whether your posts are being responded to or not. For some reason you seem to take offense when ‘other’ Devil fans either look at things in a way favorable to the team or don’t look at it constantly in a negative light.

Do I think people make too much about the cap going forward? At this point sure, the cap goes up every year and it’ll be ages before we scrape the ceiling paying our own guys. But is that ‘proof’ of an internal cap? You want it to be proof because you constantly pass that opinion off as fact when it’s not.

Again if there was an internal cap then why would Shero have come here in the first place? And don’t answer for a challenge, no GM who was just fired is going to intentionally take the hardest job possible when he could have gotten other jobs.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

The Devils also have one of the larger, most expensive scouting staffs if I recall correctly. The owners are also pumping money in to the arena, including the new awesome scoreboard we have even though the previous one was absolutely fine.

Who have we not signed because of owners being cheap? The biggest name to leave the team in recent years was probably Maroon, and we were in on him to the end but he took significantly less from the Blues to be with his family. We were in on Shattenkirk, but he took less to play in NY. I want specifics as to who else we should've gone after the past two offseasons? What d-men would've been a significant upgrade versus what we have now that we should've signed and would that deal have had cap implications in the next few years after all current players are resigned? What forwards should we have gone after, keeping in mind there would be no spots for any prospects of which we have several right now knocking on the door for being full time NHL players?

I'm just sick of this argument as well - give it a rest already people.

Reactions: Bleedred

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zezel's whole argument rests on 'it doesn't matter who they did or didn't sign or trade for, it's up to the GM to improve the team full stop, don't even think about the 30 guys who are also trying to do the same thing, that's loser talk'.

Shero had a fine offseason sitting it out. He can't do that next year.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Frankly, Zezel22's got his opinion and I respect that. There's also no way to prove him wrong, and he might NOT be wrong.

My suspicion is that while there's not internal cap, Shero's out to not waste money. He's not inclined to gamble on big contracts, not only for cap reasons, but to keep the organization in decent financial shape. Again, this is all conjecture, as is everything everyone else is saying.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Frankly, Zezel22's got his opinion and I respect that. There's also no way to prove him wrong, and he might NOT be wrong.

My suspicion is that while there's not internal cap, Shero's out to not waste money. He's not inclined to gamble on big contracts, not only for cap reasons, but to keep the organization in decent financial shape. Again, this is all conjecture, as is everything everyone else is saying.

That's called spending smartly.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

As opposed to all the other owners and GMs who are?

I mean, we haven't had the opportunity to give out a BIG contract yet with Shero at the helm. There's no basis in any of this conjecture yet.

If we find out in the future that he tried to lowball Hall or Nico, then I'd consider it. Until then, all of this is unfounded speculation.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Even when there’s no smoking gun eventually the internal cap stuff leaks out a la JVB’s final seasons. So far there’s been no peep of anything like that rumored anywhere outside here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad