Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
how far we go might hinge on zacha’s performance this year...i really hope he’s up for it. that second line worries me a bit, you’ve got 3 streaky players

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
how far we go might hinge on zacha’s performance this year...i really hope he’s up for it. that second line worries me a bit, you’ve got 3 streaky players

This is definitely the year that he has to take that next step offensively. Think he has all the capability in the world, he just needs to develop that mentality that he can shoot and take over a game.

I wouldn't be shocked if Palms is moved to that line to spread things out. We know Bratt can keep up with that first line at least and Zacha-Palms had good chemistry last year for the time they were together.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Greene is still better than Mueller. It's unfortunate but he's probably still our best LD followed by Butcher. Butcher is the only alternative for the top pair and that is a huge jump.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I like the Mojo - Zach’s - Bratt line.

Mojo and Bratt have seemed to have some chemistry, and I can see Zacha’s game complimenting them nicely...maybe the two Swedes slickness and creativity can give Zacha some confidence too
I dunno. That line REALLY needs a shooter.

Reactions: theoptimist

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
This is definitely the year that he has to take that next step offensively. Think he has all the capability in the world, he just needs to develop that mentality that he can shoot and take over a game.

I wouldn't be shocked if Palms is moved to that line to spread things out. We know Bratt can keep up with that first line at least and Zacha-Palms had good chemistry last year for the time they were together.

i’ve been surprised to see bratt consistently on the 2nd line. lappin took his place, now palms. i think the coaching staff thinks they can get more out of bratt over the course of the season if they give him less time per game. having him develop some chemistry with zacha would solve a lot of problems...but yeah i’m sure at some point at least we’ll see him back on the top line.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
PTSD from guys like Pelley and Sestito playing 100 or so games at the NHL level. The Devils are carrying 2 extra players to Europe and people are going to flip out when they find out who those players are.

Just like last year with Gibbons and Coleman over Blandisi and JQ.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
serious question for people who don’t want greene on our top pairing during the regular season, who would you like there, exactly? do you want will butcher defending against every team’s best players? think about what that would look like

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I know Corey Masisak has shown (albeit from a small sample size) that Butcher and Vatanen as a pair actually showed some positives. Wouldn't mind trying to give Greene-Severson and Butcher-Vatanen a shot as the top 4 with some mixture of Mueller/Smith-Lovejoy/Santini on the bottom pair to start.

Can always mix it up if it goes to hell fast.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
serious question for people who don’t want greene on our top pairing during the regular season, who would you like there, exactly? do you want will butcher defending against every team’s best players? think about what that would look like
I think he’d be fine with Vatanen again. With Santini he’d get caved in.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
For those with the Athletic, here's the full article again, but here's the blurb on Butcher-Vatanen:

Handicapping the Devils' position battles, part II:...

Butcher only played 66:24 with Vatanen last season, but the results in a small sample were great across the board — more than 58 percent of the shot attempts, 62.5 percent of the high-danger chances, nearly 56 percent of the overall scoring chances. Those minutes included a lot of offensive zone starts, but there’s been plenty written about how the effects of zone starts might be overstated at times.

Worthy of a look at the very least.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I know Corey Masisak has shown (albeit from a small sample size) that Butcher and Vatanen as a pair actually showed some positives. Wouldn't mind trying to give Greene-Severson and Butcher-Vatanen a shot as the top 4 with some mixture of Mueller/Smith-Lovejoy/Santini on the bottom pair to start.

Can always mix it up if it goes to hell fast.

When Butcher and Vatanen are together, what do you think the game situation was most of the time?

It shouldn’t be that surprising they post good numbers together. If they didn’t, it would be disappointing. Throw them up against a top line from the first minute and I doubt their numbers look as good.

Mueller is unfortunately our best bet in a top pairing role with Vatanen. He’s our only defender that adds some size, physicality, and has some wheels. Plus it allows us to spread out the rest of the minutes evenly rather than put all of our eggs in one basket with Greene - Vatanen.

Reactions: theoptimist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad