Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
the Bern game is an exhibition, I don't think the 23 man roster rules really apply until the Oilers game next Saturday

Good point, though I believe the 23 man roster needs to be set by 10/2 (it's a league-wide date).

I still think they go with a 23 man roster + one extra goalie (Blackwood) for the trip.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Yeah should be interesting, the Bern game is monday and the final roster is due at 5pm on tuesday. I wonder if they're going to make the final cuts right after the Winnipeg game instead of taking the extra guys with them for the trip to Europe.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Looking back at an article about Ottawa's trip to Sweden last year:

"Under an agreement between the league and the NHL Players’ Association, both teams were allowed to bring an extra goalie who wouldn’t count against the 23-man cap on the roster."

Senators’ Erik Karlsson happy his teammates will get to see Sweden

So I guess I was wrong this whole time. No extra roster slots.

Reactions: HBK27 and JK3

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Yeah should be interesting, the Bern game is monday and the final roster is due at 5pm on tuesday. I wonder if they're going to make the final cuts right after the Winnipeg game instead of taking the extra guys with them for the trip to Europe.
I thought I read somewhere that Kinkaid is also going to play the whole Bern game, which would make sense.

My guess is that tomorrow night’s game in Winnipeg is the last chance for bubble players. Hopefully we just rest the top line of Hall–Nico–Palmieri as they looked ready the other night. Sit Vantanen as well, as he eats a lot of minutes…maybe Greene as well given his age plus we know what we have in him. Last cuts probably get made Friday morning and I expect the lineup versus Bern to be extremely close to the one we roll out versus Edmonton.

Reactions: JK3

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Greene is still better than Mueller. It's unfortunate but he's probably still our best LD followed by Butcher. Butcher is the only alternative for the top pair and that is a huge jump.

Greene is not our best LD. He really is terrible. Stats proved it the last two years. Hes garbage.

Reactions: theoptimist

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Looks like Ty Smith is going to get 9 games at the least. If he sticks past that, Severson is done here. I imagine he’d make excellent trade bait.
Severson is already better than a few defensemen on this team. Why would Smith make Severson expendable? If anything, I think it would make Santini expendable.

Severson is much better than Santini, contrary to popular belief on this board and people who still have a raging hard on for the ''Crease clearing, hit throwing, defensive-defenseman''.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
not sure if this was posted, but speaking of goaltending:

There isn't a more concerning trend in the NHL among goaltenders than the decline of Cory Schneider. He was sixth in the Vezina voting two years ago. Since then, the 32-year-old has a .918 even-strength save percentage in 100 games played and lost his gig to backup Keith Kincaid (26-10-3, .914 even-strength save percentage) down the stretch last season. Schneider had hip surgery in the offseason. He's signed through 2022. The Devils need to see a reversal of fortune here, and fast. Let's see if Schneider can fix what's broken.

Ranking all 31 NHL teams by their goalie tandems

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
What pissed me off about Greg last season was that he wrote a big article whitesplaining to PK Subban why it’s an outrage that a black athlete like him won’t protest the anthems, but says not a ****ing word about Bill Foley threatening to bench players who do that because it would have conflicted with his constant stream of drool for Vegas. I don’t care what your stance is but be consistent.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
How can we not be worried or disappointed after this preseason? Not one single player grabbed a hold of a roster spot and refused to let go. Most of the lineup is pretty much up in the air. The only constant you can count on are Hall-Hischier-Palmieri.

Our prospects are so damn meh it's not even funny. McLeod is so underwhelming, Quenneville is a question mark, Bastian will never become anything and has shown zero.

Speers looks just like a player dime a dozen.

Is there really a single guy in our organization besides Ty Smith where you can say "Can't wait until he arrives and starts to tear up this league"?!

And add Zacha to the meh-group.

Right now no one is really stepping to the forefront and taking charge of roster spots. The depth we had last year is looking like a thing of the past right now.

The preseason laid the ground for the entire season last year and they went out and hit the ground running last season. This year they just look completely lost imo. No chemistry whatsoever.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Sheesh. I don't even know what to say to that. :laugh:

Our lineup is pretty much up in the air? There's basically one forward spot up for grabs, everything else is going to be filled by guys currently on the roster. What were you expecting? No lineup stays the same over an entire 82 game season.

I've never seen so much stock put into the preseason the way this board has done this year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
How can we not be worried or disappointed after this preseason? Not one single player grabbed a hold of a roster spot and refused to let go. Most of the lineup is pretty much up in the air. The only constant you can count on are Hall-Hischier-Palmieri.

Our prospects are so damn meh it's not even funny. McLeod is so underwhelming, Quenneville is a question mark, Bastian will never become anything and has shown zero.

Is there really a single guy in our organization besides Ty Smith where you can say "Can't wait until he arrives and starts to tear up this league"?!

Right now no one is really stepping to the forefront and taking charge of roster spots. The depth we had last year is looking like a thing of the past right now.

The preseason laid the ground for the entire season last year and they went out and hit the ground running last season. This year they just look completely lost imo. No chemistry whatsoever.

what? Thats absolutely not true. The roster is set aside from like 2 spots.

thank you for your constant "sky is falling" takes, as usual.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Is Wyshynski even a Devils fan anymore? His lust for Vegas makes me want to puke. Having a season that Fleury did at his age most certainly is an aberration. Hand in your fan card, Greg, and go cheer for that Nazi Bill Foley’s team in Vegas instead.

Of course he is a fan, only true fans know that Kincaid is spelled with a "C." All you posers spell it Kinkaid.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

You have a point that preseason did seem to set the stage for the regular season last year, while this year we can only hope it did not.

But it's preseason. And there just not that many roster spots open for competition. Does that make me feel better that guys like McLeod or Anderson didn't jump off the screen the way Bratt did last year? Yeah kind of, actually, and Bratt's preseason last year was amazing, it's a really high bar. But I thought McLeod had moments. I feel Q has had a strong preseason. Stud's has been good. Zacha has been good. Smith has been good.

So no, not worried nor disappointed. It's preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad