Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Unless either side says something publicly about what they were asking for (which they won't) we won't know exactly what happened.

Reactions: Billdo

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Wood and his agent are severely overplaying their hand. He's a completely replaceable player and because of that he's only hurting himself.

Reactions: Payce

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Lappin is a temporary guy on that line, he won't stick there.

I don't think Hynes puts that line together if it's not a possibility. Bratt didn't impress with Nico & Hall against the Rangers, so maybe it's a bit of a wake-up call for him, but I think we at least see Hall-Nico-Lappin get a game. Hynes seems to want to at least start with Palmieri on the 2nd line to spread out the scoring a bit.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think Hynes puts that line together if it's not a possibility. Bratt didn't impress with Nico & Hall against the Rangers, so maybe it's a bit of a wake-up call for him, but I think we at least see Hall-Nico-Lappin get a game. Hynes seems to want to at least start with Palmieri on the 2nd line to spread out the scoring a bit.

It isn’t a possibility. More of a reward for Lappin then anything else.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It isn’t a possibility. More of a reward for Lappin then anything else.

Eh I still remember Nick Palmieri with Kovalchuk and Zajac being a thing for like half a season lol

I could see them having a competition for a spot in the top six sooner or later, unless Bratt starts hot like last season. Plus honestly I think Lappin's useless if he's not on a scoring line anyway.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Eh I still remember Nick Palmieri with Kovalchuk and Zajac being a thing for like half a season lol

I could see them having a competition for a spot in the top six sooner or later, unless Bratt starts hot like last season. Plus honestly I think Lappin's useless if he's not on a scoring line anyway.

We had a lot less going on then. Palms will be up there before Lappin is.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Wood and his agent are severely overplaying their hand. He's a completely replaceable player and because of that he's only hurting himself.

he might be, we have no clue. He was the 4th best goal scorer on the team, and his combo of size and speed is not that easy to replace.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's not easy to replace, but it's also not like he's so irreplaceable that we can't survive without him for a while if this drags on. Especially if Quenneville continues to play as motivated as he's looked so far.

And who knows, maybe this whole thing lights a fire under Wood's ass and he has a monster season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wood has a unique skill set that is hard to replace, but end of the day the most important thing is whether the puck is going in the net and that can be replaced.

Plus I am not 100% convinced Wood is going to replicate his last season’s results. At least not unless his minutes get a bump. All this assumes he stays healthy, which is also a BIG if with the way he plays.

I want him in the lineup, but he isn’t the guy I am bending over for if I am Ray, and definitely isn’t a guy we should be heavily depending on when he signs. Still a depth guy, a unique and entertaining one, but depth none the less.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Can we please stop crapping on Wood? We know next to nothing on the situation. What if Shero is playing hard ball and offering less than what Wood should be getting on this next contract? Point being, we really don’t know enough to be turning on one of our players because he isn’t in camp.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Can we please stop crapping on Wood? We know next to nothing on the situation. What if Shero is playing hard ball and offering less than what Wood should be getting on this next contract? Point being, we really don’t know enough to be turning on one of our players because he isn’t in camp.

For some reason, Shero is untouchable to some when it comes to questioning something he does or trying to objectively look at both the positive and negative sides of the coin with his decision making. Most of his decisions have worked out quite well here, but that doesn't absolve him or whoever is in his role from being questioned. He, just like anybody else, is prone to taking a route that may not be the best from time to time and as mentioned, fortunately so far he hasn't taken that route with the Devils very often.

Also, good news to start the day:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
For some reason, Shero is untouchable to some when it comes to questioning something he does or trying to objectively look at both the positive and negative sides of the coin with his decision making. Most of his decisions have worked out quite well here, but that doesn't absolve him or whoever is in his role from being questioned. He, just like anybody else, is prone to taking a route that may not be the best from time to time and as mentioned, fortunately so far he hasn't taken that route with the Devils very often.

Also, good news to start the day:

Well said... and this could be great. I think Wood is essential to this team not taking a step back.

I can’t believe I just typed that :laugh:

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
I agree with Lappin, I think hes getting rewarded for coming into camp on a mission. But, I mean crazier things have happened than him sticking on the top line into the regular season. Personally though, I just dont think he skates well enough to hang with those guys. His hands aren't the greatest either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You would have had to figure this was coming to an end soon if Wood wanted to go on the Europe trip with the team, that would have been crossing the line from the holdout just being annoying to getting ugly. He's certainly not the first person to hold out more or less to miss the dog days of early camp.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I agree with Lappin, I think hes getting rewarded for coming into camp on a mission. But, I mean crazier things have happened than him sticking on the top line into the regular season. Personally though, I just dont think he skates well enough to hang with those guys. His hands aren't the greatest either.

That first line needs someone who is a volume shooter. Just find an open spot on the ice and let Hall and Nico decide if and when you get the puck. I would prefer it not be Palms so we can spread out the scoring. This I think would be ideal.

Camille the Eel

That first line needs someone who is a volume shooter. Just find an open spot on the ice and let Hall and Nico decide if and when you get the puck. I would prefer it not be Palms so we can spread out the scoring. This I think would be ideal.
Palms has never really fit ideally with Hall in my eyes. Palms likes and needs the puck on his own stick a lot of the time. In order to be successful. Now Hall skates with the puck a lot. He carries it and wheels and deals too much for he and Palms to be an optimum fit together.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

This is the nature of the beast though. Guys rarely get the benefit of the doubt when they hold out, especially when they've got essentially no leverage contractually. When he signs he'll be welcomed back with open arms and everyone will be happy. Well since this is our board, not everyone, but the large majority.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Curious what we do with our lines. Does Bratt stay on the top line? If not where does he go? Do we put JQ with Zacha and someone like Palmeri? That could be a good line, Zacha and JQ looked great together. MJ could still be there as well.

If we have a good scoring 3rd line C, we could roll out 3 scoring lines and have Coleman-Zajac-Noeson as a true 4th line that can take tough match ups. Then you also have a guy like Anderson who could still make the team but I'd say is likely to start in the AHL McLeod has virtually no chance IMO. We definitely need another C at some point in the future.

Hall-Nico-Bratt
JQ-Zacha-Palmeri
MJ-x-Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad