Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Drop Coleman, hes beyond bad now

Id rather have a 4th liner who doesnt take 3-4 penalties, idc what he did offensively for a whole three months

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think team defense really looks better right now, I think goaltending and the goals against being lower is causing the illusion that team defense has gotten better.

I think Cory not looking like a 53 year old fresh out of retirement Patrick Roy anymore like he did pre-February, is making the team defense look better. I think Blackwood playing out of his mind (and probably overachieving a bit) is making the team defense look better. I think Kinkaid playing hardly any games the last several weeks (f*** you Jim Kinkaid) is making the team defense look better. Especially since he looked like he had a mental breakdown at some point lately. Probably in that St. Louis game.

The one thing I will say is that last night was probably the best team defense we've played in quite a while. Maybe not the best game by us this season, but it was probably in the top 5.

Reactions: Cage Helmet

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Coleman needs to stay out of the box, but he's a core player in my mind. Same for Wood. Sev's too while we are at it.
Thats a terrible f***ing core if theyre a part of it

Bottom-6 players are not core players, and Severson is decent but the guy lacks situational awareness in his own end that peewee’s have. One of the first things youre ever taught on defense is to never leave a guy alone in front - Severson is the KING of that

I can live with Severson as a #4 offensive dman. But the fact that he playes 22+ a night is terrible for us and needs to be fixed

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Coleman has one point in fourteen games, his production was a flash in the pan
I feel like I've had to use this phrase close to a thousand times this season, but I have to use it again at least one more time.

Market correction.

Coleman was producing at a 48 point per 82 game pace before this current stretch of 1 point in his last 14 games. He's now producing at a pace of 6 points per 82 games over this 14 game stretch. And on the season? He's now at a 39 point per 82 game pace. There was a period earlier this year where he was on pace for over 50 points. Is Coleman a 50 point a year player like his earlier pacing would suggest? Probably not. Is Coleman a 6 point a year player like his last 14 game stretch would suggest? Absolutely not.

Even if he's a 39 point per 82 game player, even if he's a 35 point per 82 game player, that's still a pretty good 3rd line forward. Better than most of the 3rd line guys we've had here in years.

I have to go through this market correction thing so much. ''Blackwood's January was bad, he's really no better than Kinkaid is!''. Yeah but his December was unsustainably good. He wasn't gonna sustain a .960+% beyond half a dozen games. ''Doesn't matter, he's now suffering from this poor defense like Kinkaid was. It's impossible for a goalie to play above league average on this team behind this D''.

''Palmieri isn't a real first line winger. He's only producing at a 20 goal per season pace over his last 40 games''. Dude, he was never gonna score 180 goals like he was on pace for during the first few games of the year or 90 goals like he was after the first 9 games but whatever.

''Jesper Bratt has barely any goals over the last calendar year. He's really not that good. 3 of his goals came in his first 2 NHL games!''. Dude, he was never gonna score a goal on every single shot on goal he took.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Bump him down as well as move him at next years deadline

Obviously you dont just eliminate him without any return

Yeah no, you really can't tell anything about established players playing out the string in a sucky season when everyone's frustrated as hell and guys like Coleman are playing above their level cause the rest of the team's on IR. Elias, Brodeur and everyone else looked awful in the MacLean half season too. For all we know Coleman might be playing hurt too, he missed a few games around the time his slump really started to deepen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cage Helmet

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Thats a terrible ****ing core if theyre a part of it

Bottom-6 players are not core players, and Severson is decent but the guy lacks situational awareness in his own end that peewee’s have. One of the first things youre ever taught on defense is to never leave a guy alone in front - Severson is the KING of that

I can live with Severson as a #4 offensive dman. But the fact that he playes 22+ a night is terrible for us and needs to be fixed
We are talking about a 23 year old, a 24 year old and a 27 year old. 27 is not so young, but the other 2 guys still are, and entering their prime years.

The 27 year old was an absolute key player in last year's late season playoff push, and he's proven himself one of the best penalty killers in the league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And I know people hate going back to the Lou era for anything but if the Lou era taught us one thing it's that third liners can absolutely be core players. Not on the level of Stevens or Brodeur obviously but Carpenter, Holik, Madden...they were neccesary elements as checking-line centers. The latter two in particular played enough two-way hockey to not just be purely defensive-minded.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And I know people hate going back to the Lou era for anything but if the Lou era taught us one thing it's that third liners can absolutely be core players. Not on the level of Stevens or Brodeur obviously but Carpenter, Holik, Madden...they were neccesary elements as checking-line centers. The latter two in particular played enough two-way hockey to not just be purely defensive-minded.
Ya and Coleman Zajac Noesen last year was more a 3rd line in theory, in reality it was our 2nd line. Wood Zajac Coleman for a stretch this year was the same. And both of those lines were shutdown lines that put up points.

If we could get a legit 2nd line, Wood Zajac Coleman would be an impactful 3rd line.

And though Wood has had a tough season, both by a slow start, and by injuries of late, I think he has top 6 potential. Talent wise I think he has the makings, injuries are a concern though.

Last edited:

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Drop Coleman, hes beyond bad now

Id rather have a 4th liner who doesnt take 3-4 penalties, idc what he did offensively for a whole three months
So you want to get rid of Sevo and
Coles. Are there any other good players you think we should part with?
Coleman has one point in fourteen games, his production was a flash in the pan
Who’s to say that the most recent stretch isn’t the true flash in the pan? He wouldn’t nearly be the first good player to have such a stretch of futility.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Ya and Coleman Zajac Noesen last year was as more a 3rd line in theory last year, in reality it was our 2nd line. Wood Zajac Coleman for a stretch this year was the same. And both of those lines were shutdown lines that put up points.

If we could get a legit 2nd line, Wood Zajac Coleman would be an impactful 3rd line.

And though Wood has had a tough season, both by a slow start, and by injuries of late, I think he has top 6 potential. Talent wise I think he has the making, injuries are a concern though.

I'll sign up for that right now although I'm not so sure of Wood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad