Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
If he can’t play on the top pair I’m not sure he’s a great fit. You are going to overpay in term and cap hit for any decent UFA and NJ has low end defenders already.
Myers can play on top pair. He has averaged more than 20 minutes per game on a Jets team in each of his 3 seasons.

I think he is better than Severson. And if Devils do sign him, he is a nice insurance policy in case Vatanen leaves next season (whether they trade him at deadline or if he chooses not to re-sign).

Reactions: My3Sons

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
This is how I rank the Devils defense on where they should be playing, with an emphasis for next season:

Top pair: Vatanen
Middle pair: Butcher, Severson, Smith
Bottom pair: Greene, Mueller, Yakolev, Carrick, Santini

Ty Smith should be immediately fast tracked into the top 4. We need to groom him to handle big minutes and responsibility as soon as possible. Similar to the way that Boston has done with McAvoy, Ottawa with Chabot.

Butcher and Severson are middle pairing defenders but are probably not capatible to be d partners. Therefore I think one of them should be traded.

As for the bottom pair defenders, Greene is guaranteed a spot. The rest of them, it doesn’t really matter what happens. Whether we re-sign Yakolev or not. Whether we trade Mueller or not. Whether we lose Santini on waivers or not, it isn’t going to make a big difference either way. They are all replaceable.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Fair point. I think it's okay to play him on forward right now while we have him, but to re-sign him just to play forward? That would be unnecessary.

While there's injuries and Gabriel's and Pietila's in the lineup though? That's cool, but when starting fresh next year? No need to sign him for forward.

I'd take him over 2 of the defensemen on the roster. Maybe 3 if Carrick is nothing. I'm still undecided on Carrick, but he's also the kind of player I could see us not tendering if he doesn't impress down the stretch, as he's an RFA. Plus, it would be easy for him to be a casualty should we make upgrades.

Exactly - when there’s Gabriel’s and Pietila’s already in the lineup, you know the well is running dry. Factor in all the injuries, and JQ continuing to be hot garbage, it’s not surprising they had to resort to using Yak at LW.

That doesn’t mean he should be used there ever, ever again, barring extreme circumstances like we’ve been experiencing of late.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
its just ridiculous that its even discussed

Some folks act like Zadorov and Myers were terrible ideas for the defense as they ‘arent actual upgrades’ but then in the same thread mention how ‘well Yakovlev hasnt been bad maybe re-sign him as a forward’

People are losing their sense of reality when they ever for a single moment even entertain the idea of Yakovlrv as a forward for us. Id go as far as to say they really dont know jack **** if they ever consider it

It's not happening.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i have no problem with signing myers on a short deal...but i don’t think his priority this summer will be to make his new team’s accountants happy. if you hate severson now, you’ll loathe myers in 3 years

bodda

Feb 26, 2012
Foppaland
I would pay Yak nhl dollars and play him in Bing. They are a much better team with him on the ice, he would be huge for them. Don't think he is offered a much better deal. He'd also be good for Sharangovic and Pop.
If he wants to do that.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't think we bring in a LHD actually. We have 3 guys already (Yak is UFA but the organization seems to like him, so we may have 4), with Ty Smith and Jeremy Davies both likely going pro when their seasons are over.

Unless we can get a surefire unquestionable top-4 defenseman I don't think it makes sense to bring in more guys. We have plenty of fodder, we need quality guys who can take minutes from Greene.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Shero's gotta do everything to make sure Davies doesn't make it to his senior year at NU. If he does, it won't look good for us.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Shero's gotta do everything to make sure Davies doesn't make it to his senior year at NU. If he does, it won't look good for us.

I'd be really surprised if he didn't sign with the Devils once NU's season is over.

I understand the concern to an extent since he is in in Junior season, but there's really been no indication that he would consider playing out his senior season and looking to sign elsewhere. Devils certainly see his value and will push to get him signed ASAP. Also seems his NU coach and Shero have a great relationship, which should help.

Ultimately though, the Devils certainly provide Davies with the best chance to make it to the NHL as quickly as possible (since he could certainly get in games this season and/or next) as well as a good path for long-term success when you look at the LD depth chart. He's smart not to comment on what he's going to do after the season at this point and just focus on helping NU to win games.

Reactions: My3Sons

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm guessing they sign him to a three year ELC and give him some NHL games this season so the first year gets burned. Brings him a year closer to getting paid bigger bucks on an RFA deal, we get asset security and contract control. We did the same thing with Wood and Santini.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm guessing they sign him to a three year ELC and give him some NHL games this season so the first year gets burned. Brings him a year closer to getting paid bigger bucks on an RFA deal, we get asset security and contract control. We did the same thing with Wood and Santini.

Davies isn't eligible to sign a 3 year ELC - he's 22, so his ELC is by default 2 years.

The trouble with this plan is that the NHL season ends relatively early compared to the college season this year - if Northeastern makes the Frozen Four, there's no chance of getting him signed before the season ends and even if they don't make it, there's still less than a week - unless Davies has already made his mind up, there may not be time.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

The regionals for the Frozen Four take place from March 29th-31st. If Northeastern gets eliminated that weekend, that would leave 3 Devils games that Davies could play this season if he gets signed. If Northeastern advances though, the semi-finals don't start until after NJ's season is already over.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Of course it depends on the school schedule, I'm simply stating what I think is the best case scenario for everyone. Davies gets NHL time, his agent gets closer to a pay day, and the Devils get contract control. Win-win-win.

If they sign him after the season, that's fine too, but not quite as ideal.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This is how I rank the Devils defense on where they should be playing, with an emphasis for next season:

Top pair: Vatanen
Middle pair: Butcher, Severson, Smith
Bottom pair: Greene, Mueller, Yakolev, Carrick, Santini

Ty Smith should be immediately fast tracked into the top 4. We need to groom him to handle big minutes and responsibility as soon as possible. Similar to the way that Boston has done with McAvoy, Ottawa with Chabot.

Butcher and Severson are middle pairing defenders but are probably not capatible to be d partners. Therefore I think one of them should be traded.

As for the bottom pair defenders, Greene is guaranteed a spot. The rest of them, it doesn’t really matter what happens. Whether we re-sign Yakolev or not. Whether we trade Mueller or not. Whether we lose Santini on waivers or not, it isn’t going to make a big difference either way. They are all replaceable.

I would go even further and say Vatanen is a #2 D (we don't have a #1), Severson, Greene and Butcher are good #4 D's, Mueller and Yakovlev are solid #5's with some room for improvement, and the rest really are replacement level.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I would go even further and say Vatanen is a #2 D (we don't have a #1), Severson, Greene and Butcher are good #4 D's, Mueller and Yakovlev are solid #5's with some room for improvement, and the rest really are replacement level.
I think Vatenen is a 2nd pair Dman. And I personally don't think he is any better than Severson.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

3UtNDzIpfXPHq0ZkNSe0YFlcMKo=.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad