Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Yep. They shouldn't be compared. Severson has a 3.0 BHP/60 (boneheaded play)

Santini's fault:
zvez3p.jpg

2na5f9w.jpg

qqv42a.jpg

Where is Andy Greene in all 3 of these plays?

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Yep. They shouldn't be compared. Severson has a 3.0 BHP/60 (boneheaded play)

Santini's fault:
zvez3p.jpg

2na5f9w.jpg

qqv42a.jpg

Also the first one is completely out of context, Severson passes it to mojo with space. Mojo runs out of space a couple seconds later and no one is in the middle to pass to so he tries to pass it cross body across the ice and it gets picked and its right up to oreilly. Andy Greene just took off as soon as mojo got it and he is nowhere to be found, not sure what you want Severson to do. The Bratt one he shouldnt have come over even though bratt really didnt have him he was at least on his tail. The second one he should have turned up before, but once again greene is nowhere to be found and kevin rooney is playing left D. You can criticize Severson for D lapses but at least you use brain and not still shots.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Where is Andy Greene in all 3 of these plays?

Does Andy Greene effect Severson's positioning and skating on any of these plays? What truly terrible reads to be skating backwards, given where the opposing players are.

What you are saying is that Severson can't be trusted to be back, right? He's only good to pinch and can't be trusted to actually play his position?

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Does Andy Greene effect Severson's positioning and skating on any of these plays? What truly terrible reads to be skating backwards, given where the opposing players are.

What you are saying is that Severson can't be trusted to be back, right? He's only good to pinch and can't be trusted to actually play his position?

If you post a screenshot of a hockey game, i have to question your intelligence or knowledge of the sport. All this talk of bad pinches and there are 3 goals where the other D is nowhere in sight. Covering for someone only matters if the risk is worth it and if you dont make the right call its a bad position for any D.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Also the first one is completely out of context, Severson passes it to mojo with space. Mojo runs out of space a couple seconds later and no one is in the middle to pass to so he tries to pass it cross body across the ice and it gets picked and its right up to oreilly. Andy Greene just took off as soon as mojo got it and he is nowhere to be found, not sure what you want Severson to do. The Bratt one he shouldnt have come over even though bratt really didnt have him he was at least on his tail. The second one he should have turned up before, but once again greene is nowhere to be found and kevin rooney is playing left D. You can criticize Severson for D lapses but at least you use brain and not still shots.

While the giveaway is on Mojo - Look at the way he skating. He almost fell down in the turn like a mite.

He didn't turn on any of them.

You can go look at the videos and they are even more condemning. 'Use brain'? Good lord, did you WATCH the game?

It amazes me that you are such a Severson fanboy that you can even defend these plays and call him 'good' when this happens.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
If you post a screenshot of a hockey game, i have to question your intelligence or knowledge of the sport. All this talk of bad pinches and there are 3 goals where the other D is nowhere in sight. Covering for someone only matters if the risk is worth it and if you dont make the right call its a bad position for any D.

I would have posted the videos, but the Devils are great about taking down 'lowlights', in fact I've noticed that you can't even go back and see the recaps of losses - only wins - on their site.

I did this in three seconds, using JUST the St Louis game.

If you'd like a compendium of Severson boneheadedness, I'm sure that can be arranged. I can think of at least three games that have ample disasterage in the last 30 days alone.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
While the giveaway is on Mojo - Look at the way he skating. He almost fell down in the turn like a mite.

He didn't turn on any of them.

You can go look at the videos and they are even more condemning. 'Use brain'? Good lord, did you WATCH the game?

It amazes me that you are such a Severson fanboy that you can even defend these plays and call him 'good' when this happens.

When did I say he was good on any of these plays? Please post more screenshots and use +/- and put words in my mouth more. I did WATCH the game and never said he played well, if we are judging skating on the back end Severson is not the guy to kill in that area. None of the D besides Vatanen and mueller are great skaters transitioning from backwards to forwards, Severson is better than butcher/lovejoy/Santini/Greene at that so its weird to nitpick that. The second goal was not great and neither was the 3rd although I can see why he tried to close off since Bratt didnt have any sort of angle, still not great plays and I never said they were.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Love that there is no commentary on the plays themselves, just 'screenshots'.
Ok -here's elite skating with great decision making. It's mostly on Mojo, but...

Here's elite skating, with an excellent turn. Way to judge your opponents speed. Way to close. Way to be functionally useless.

Here's that great decision making again. Way to prevent the pass, that is only your ONLY job, though.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I would have posted the videos, but the Devils are great about taking down 'lowlights', in fact I've noticed that you can't even go back and see the recaps of losses - only wins - on their site.

I did this in three seconds, using JUST the St Louis game.

If you'd like a compendium of Severson boneheadedness, I'm sure that can be arranged. I can think of at least three games that have ample disasterage in the last 30 days alone.

You can make a highlight reel of bad plays for any player on this defense... they are all bad in the d zone this year. You obviously think Severson is far and away the worst defensive player on the back end, I disagree and don't think he is as bad as people on here say. That does not mean I think he is amazing, I think he's closer to average than horrible.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Love that there is no commentary on the plays themselves, just 'screenshots'.
Ok -here's elite skating with great decision making. It's mostly on Mojo, but...

Here's elite skating, with an excellent turn. Way to judge your opponents speed. Way to close. Way to be functionally useless.

Here's that great decision making again. Way to prevent the pass, that is only your ONLY job, though.

I literally said all of this to an extent so way to go.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I literally said all of this to an extent so way to go.

You literally bitched about screenshots, and then replied while I was replying.

But hey, I'm sure Kinkaid went to the bench to see if he could yell at Santini. I'm sure he broke his stick in anger at how sexy Severson looked on that turn.

I mean, come ON. You're making it as if the three plays above are the only argument to stand on. This St Louis game wasn't even his worst effort - and those three plays rank pretty low on the Severson Bonehead-o-meter. One isn't even his fault.

There are plenty and plenty and plenty of examples of him being totally spun out in his zone, making bad reads, failing to cut passes.

Are there examples of other guys doing that as well? Sure. As many? No frigging way.

The difference is that Severson really does add much to the offense.

Is it soooo terrible to call him out for being terrible on the D side when he is? I'm not saying we should kill him. I'm saying the organization either better simplify its system to suit the defenders it has, INSTRUCT its young players on how to play defense, or ship a guy out if he doesn't make a commitment to improve that side of his game.

His upside is apparent. Right now he's John Moore defensively. If he stays that way, he'll continue to hurt the team with his play, and he'll ultimately just bounce around the league like Mark Del Zotto.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
You literally *****ed about screenshots, and then replied while I was replying.

But hey, I'm sure Kinkaid went to the bench to see if he could yell at Santini. I'm sure he broke his stick in anger at how sexy Severson looked on that turn.

I mean, come ON. You're making it as if the three plays above are the only argument to stand on. This St Louis game wasn't even his worst effort - and those three plays rank pretty low on the Severson Bonehead-o-meter. One isn't even his fault.

There are plenty and plenty and plenty of examples of him being totally spun out in his zone, making bad reads, failing to cut passes.

Are there examples of other guys doing that as well? Sure. As many? No frigging way.

The difference is that Severson really does add much to the offense.

Is it soooo terrible to call him out for being terrible on the D side when he is? I'm not saying we should kill him. I'm saying the organization either better simplify its system to suit the defenders it has, INSTRUCT its young players on how to play defense, or ship a guy out if he doesn't make a commitment to improve that side of his game.

His upside is apparent. Right now he's John Moore defensively. If he stays that way, he'll continue to hurt the team with his play, and he'll ultimately just bounce around the league like Mark Del Zotto.

Santini didnt play so Im not sure why he is being brought up. Yes screenshots are a dumb way to point out mistakes made in a game. And I do think the the other D have made similar mistakes to Severson. I mean if Severson was doing what Andy Greene was doing in these goals you would be harping on that so I don't know why you're nitpicking just Severson and not Greene. Greene is supposed to be the stay at home defensive D man to play with Severson, who struggles in the d zone. My point is that Greene is equally as bad as Severson this year and that is horrible for Seversons development and for the team. I don't get why everyone on here rips Severson to shreds when the whole defense as a whole has been horrific. Don't give me that bs that severson is far and away the worst player in the d zone, because there are a million other plays where the other D do the same exact thing and most of them besides Butcher/Vats don't add anything on offense.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Severson was so bad last game surprised hynes didn’t punish him by putting him in net.

I seriously think he’d make a better forward.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Screenshots and serious use of plus/minus? This thread's got it all today.

Corsi is pretty much a +/- for shots attempt and I see people use it all the time.

When you keep on being last in +/- on your team season after season (trend), you should try to be more analytical, not just "blah bah blah who cares about +/- blah blah blah".

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Corsi is pretty much a +/- for shots attempt and I see people use it all the time.

When you keep on being last in +/- on your team season after season, you should try to understand why is is a trend, not just "blah bah blah who cares about +/- blah blah blah".

why don't we look at all the stats and use them as a whole instead of just one.

Reactions: Nubmer6

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I've been pretty hard on Kinkaid this year, but I don't think he played as poorly as his goals against last night. He gave up a couple he should have had very late in the game and the giveaway on the second goal, but he should have been mercy pulled by about goal 5 or 6.

It's not a good look on the coach to leave him in there. Getzlaf had to tell Carlyle to pull Gibson in a game a week or two ago, when Carlyle didn't want to.

He hasn't pulled Keith in a while, so it's not like he just pulled him the game before and had to do it again. And it wouldn't have been a bad idea to warm Cory up for Thursday.

To be honest, I stopped watching after it went 4-1 because I could tell where we were headed but yeah, he wasn't the problem. At least not the biggest one.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad