Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
:rolleyes:

Because his advanced stats say so. Duh! You get such a hard on for players based on small sample sizes of advanced metrics. And you always ignore situational usage, which is even more impactful on bad teams.

Meanwhile a few posts up you commended Zacha for taking shots he didn't take last year....when in reality:

Last year 1.623 S/PG
This year 1.627 S/PG

Also note he's averaging over 80 seconds more TOI this year.

And no, I'm not gonna buy that you meant his shot selection is better or more confident. He was streaky just like this last year. Hell, he's done it earlier this year as well. A few games of looking great and then disappears for a dozen.
@Triumph obviously meant that Zacha wouldn’t have attempted that particular shot last year, and he is right. He would have passed up that chance from the circle. He has more confidence right now.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Keith after the game last night lol
DzTMHKJWkAExykB.jpg:large
That pic is like 2 years old

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I’m just guessing here without looking it up, but I would wager to say he hasn’t played more than 3-4 games in a row in a long time. That has to have a factor in play at some point.

He played 12 games in a row from 12/20 to 1/10 this season. Hasn't helped.

:rolleyes:

Because his advanced stats say so. Duh! You get such a hard on for players based on small sample sizes of advanced metrics. And you always ignore situational usage, which is even more impactful on bad teams.

Meanwhile a few posts up you commended Zacha for taking shots he didn't take last year....when in reality:

Last year 1.623 S/PG
This year 1.627 S/PG

Also note he's averaging over 80 seconds more TOI this year.

And no, I'm not gonna buy that you meant his shot selection is better or more confident. He was streaky just like this last year. Hell, he's done it earlier this year as well. A few games of looking great and then disappears for a dozen.

Find me a player who's put up the kind of results that Santini has put up who ever became good or even decent. Last season, if you want to write it off, fine. This season he's been used in the 3rd pairing role everyone's been clamoring for. Now he did play more with Sami Vatanen than I remembered, and I hate R-R pairings, so he could use a few more games with not that, but I'm just not seeing where he turns the corner and doesn't get outshot. I don't see what he does well.

As for Zacha, yes I obviously meant his shot selection - he isn't getting more shots than last season but I don't think he uses opposing D as a screen and waits for an opening as he did there last season. Wood and Zacha were a really good tandem last season - Zacha had 7.61 shots/60 last season with Wood on the ice, and those two together went in a significantly positive direction. This season we haven't seen much of that tandem, but some of Zacha's results with other relatively common linemates are abysmal (Seney and Stafford specifically).

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
He's been one of the worst defensemen in the league over the last 2 seasons.

Santinit is one of the worst defensemen in the entire NHL for two years now?

Where do you come up with this stuff?

EDIT: I feel like I just fell for obvious troll-bait.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Santini is a guy who is lacking some of the attributes to play today's game but his physical play and defensive IQ make him at least a useful bottom pair D man if he develops. He has had a tough season, started off super unlucky getting hurt 2 minutes into his season after a poor pre season and sitting out a bunch of games. He's in a weird spot and I'm hoping they can get him in there for the last 20 or so games to see if he can find his game a bit. When he plays with mueller it's a disaster waiting to happen as both guys struggle getting the puck up so I'd prefer to see him with butcher down the stretch.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Santinit is one of the worst defensemen in the entire NHL for two years now?

Where do you come up with this stuff?

EDIT: I feel like I just fell for obvious troll-bait.

The Devils get 43% of the shots with Santini on the ice the last two seasons. I already explained zone-start yesterday so we won't have to go through that again - so sure, adjust that upwards to about 45% given the zone starts. That's horrible, and it's horrible even considering the context of Santini's assignments last season. The only defenseman who has worse territorial (Fenwick) results over the last two seasons is Maxime Lajoie. So no, it's not troll bait - Santini is bad, and his results this season are also bad, and they're also bad relative to his teammates.

This idea that bad defensemen have to be given time to not become bad isn't supported by very much. There's certainly some examples out there, but not a lot. What does Santini do well? I keep asking.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
The Devils get 43% of the shots with Santini on the ice the last two seasons. I already explained zone-start yesterday so we won't have to go through that again - so sure, adjust that upwards to about 45% given the zone starts. That's horrible, and it's horrible even considering the context of Santini's assignments last season. The only defenseman who has worse territorial (Fenwick) results over the last two seasons is Maxime Lajoie. So no, it's not troll bait - Santini is bad, and his results this season are also bad, and they're also bad relative to his teammates.

This idea that bad defensemen have to be given time to not become bad isn't supported by very much. There's certainly some examples out there, but not a lot. What does Santini do well? I keep asking.

He is a big body d man who finishes checks well and has a good D IQ, He has absolutely taken a step back this year and his skills outside of that have not improved and to me he has regressed in those areas. He has been very poor with the puck in his own end and it's a very bad sign that Eric Gryba is getting playing time over him.

Reactions: Billdo

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I like the HODPFIMNWIOTI stat a lot more than Corsi:

HODPFIMNWIOTI stands for, How Often Do Pucks Fly Into My Net When I'm On The Ice:

fsfsfsd.jpg

As you can see, Santini isnt that bad even on the Devils team, let alone the "entire NHL".

It's almost as if having a 43% Corsi/Fenwick versus a 49% Corsi/Fenwick doesn't matter much.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
How can anyone jump to the conclusion that Santini isn't good when he played less then a 100 games, then think that Severson is good when his defensive play is insanely flawed after 350 games under his belt.
Santini is terrible, worse than Lovejoy, and barely an NHL player. Severson is actually a capable NHL player and has been since day 1. “His defensive game is flawed” - Great, so is Santini’s. But he provides excellent offense, Santini provides zero. Santini is 1 year younger than Severson and is not even an average number 6 dman. Stop comparing him to Severson.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
No I get it, I just dislike the way he's been playing lately. I by no means want him traded.

i agree. IMO if palms isn’t scoring, he’s basically useless. which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but he’s a one dimensional player who needs to score

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

HODPFIMNWIOTI stands for, How Often Do Pucks Fly Into My Net When I'm On The Ice:

fsfsfsd.jpg

As you can see, Santini isnt that bad even on the Devils team, let alone the "entire NHL".

It's almost as if having a 43% Corsi/Fenwick versus a 49% Corsi/Fenwick doesn't matter much.

Actually that doesn’t really help your case since the three guys above Santini all have vastly tougher matchups on a nightly basis. All the third pairing guys are on the bottom for a reason and Santini has the worst goal ratio of them.

Reactions: R8NJ

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

fsfsfsd.jpg

His 5v5 on ice goals for % is under %41. Worst on the team amongst d-men(over 200 minutes played).

I'd like to see him get a lot of games down the stretch, but I can't say there has been much to be positive about thus far.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018

fsfsfsd.jpg

I feel like when using this stat you should mention the players GF/60 at even strength, both things matter and the ratio between the two is important. Santini currently at 2.0 GF/60 which is tied for second worst with Mueller and Gryba is at 1.9 GF/60. -1.4 relative to his GA/60 which is the second worst ratio on the team for D men to gryba and tied with Yak.

Gryba stinks can we stop playing him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What's the story with Taylor Hall and his injury? Asking for a friend of mine. He's convinced ownership is keeping him out of the lineup in a veiled attempt to tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->