Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Fowler is a tough one. I like him a lot, but I don't think I'd want to pay the (steep) price it would likely cost to acquire him.

I'd imagine it'd have to start with a 1st, and I'd probably balk. We're in no position to be moving our 1st this year, and even if Shero adds a protection condition on it, promising future 1st's makes me antsy after seeing it blow up in Ottawa's face. It doesn't take much.

Now, if they'd accept a couple of 2nd's (from Johansson and Boyle trades) in the place of that 1st, I'd very much be down.
So would every team but it wont work out that way.

A 1st top 5-10 protected, defer to 2020 is fine to me I doubt were a bottom feeder next year

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
So would every team but it wont work out that way.

A 1st top 5-10 protected, defer to 2020 is fine to me I doubt were a bottom feeder next year

There’s no way I’m dealing next years 1st. It only takes one crucial injury for us to be in the same spot as we are now and that’s too much of a gamble when acquiring someone like Fowler.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
There’s no way I’m dealing next years 1st. It only takes one crucial injury for us to be in the same spot as we are now and that’s too much of a gamble when acquiring someone like Fowler.
You expect a 1st round defenseman to become Fowler or higher quality so I dont see the problem. Smith looks to be high calibur so getting a Fowler from our next pick after this year where we likely get a forward? How is that bad?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You expect a 1st round defenseman to become Fowler or higher quality so I dont see the problem. Smith looks to be high calibur so getting a Fowler from our next pick after this year where we likely get a forward? How is that bad?

The reason I’m not doing it is because we can be giving up a top #5 pick and I wouldn’t trade a top #5 pick for Fowler.

However, I wouldn’t mind giving it up at the draft, knowing our actual position.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The reason I’m not doing it is because we can be giving up a top #5 pick and I wouldn’t trade a top #5 pick for Fowler.

However, I wouldn’t mind giving it up at the draft, knowing our actual position.
I mean if we pick top 5-7 this year (which is why it would defer), then we cant complain that much if the next year ended up top 5-7 as well. We still have Fowler to show + Smith and the top 5-7 2019 pick...

Id do it for sure

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Cam Fowler is an interesting name that I've seen brought up by the Ducks fans a few times because of their cap crunch

since @Hidden Hair of Hynes kept asking for a name, theres one. Ducks fans say they need C/D prospects or draft picks. Wonder what type of package we could put together. Fowler just turned 27.

I'd rather go big and try to acquire Lindholm. I think we should be willing to take on Perry or Kesler to get it done.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

shotandagoal

Dec 29, 2008
I wonder what's wrong with Noesen. Did we ever get an update on that? I feel like at half his salary retained he should still be able to be moved for something at the deadline, but if he doesn't come back soon I can't see that happening.
He was really good last year. Seems like he has been playing hurt and now taking time to get healthy. Same with Hall? Have they said anything more about either injury?

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
Would love Fowler on the team. His stats aren't out of the world this year so I think this could be a good buy low candidate

Two things that could help the Devils here and in future moves are (1) acquiring a cap dump, someone they don't even need to buyout right away if (2) they can expose the cap dump in the expansion draft just before buying them out (recall that teams need to expose a few full-time players so it's little harm to keep them on board for a year)

I would be happy to do something along the lines of Matt Niskanen and Ilya Samsonov for Mojo and 2020 2nd (conditional on Samsonov playing 10+ games for the Devils in 2019-20, else the Devils get a 2020 3rd from Washington -- I know he's in Hershey right now, but he's still a potential return to Russia risk if he ends up in Bingo), which would allow the Caps to compete this year and gives them money to bring back both Bura and Mojo. Devils get another good goalie prospect, who happens to be from the same draft as Mac Black. Niskanen shores up the Lovejoy bottom-pairing RD role and happens to be a former Shero acquisition

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Cam Fowler would be great for this team. He's not going to score at an amazing rate but he can skate well, is long, defends well and is good with the puck. Smart 2 way top pairing D man on a good contract for the next 6+ years. We need that type of D men to anchor the top pair, points aside we need to defend and get the puck out of the zone.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Cam Fowler would be great for this team. He's not going to score at an amazing rate but he can skate well, is long, defends well and is good with the puck. Smart 2 way top pairing D man on a good contract for the next 6+ years. We need that type of D men to anchor the top pair, points aside we need to defend and get the puck out of the zone.

Let's give them back Vats in a package

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Please elaborate...

Reactions: Bet the Over

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

is long eh?

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Why do you want injury details? So opposing teams, such as rival teams, can just target that area ? It's best if its kept a mystery.

Also regarding questions for Ray, I would also fancy a couple hard pressing questions.

Maybe Ray could have the organization send out a super double secret code to all registered Devils fans and give us a super TRIPLE secret injury and team status update. Then nobody else would know except Devils fans! See how easy that would be? :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad