Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xlll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
So he excels at everything offensive about the defensive game but nothing defensive in the defensive game...

and I dont see where he improved in his defensive game besides his one brilliant pick per game of a player with the puck for separation, which then is moot after a turnover and he isnt covering them anymore.

Is getting the puck out of the zone and onto the sticks of our team a bad thing? Ben Lovejoy hasnt made a good outlet pass in his whole career and it hurts the team and makes his possession numbers worse. I think severson has gotten better at playing 1 on 1s, takes the body more and separates the man from the puck. He is more physical on the boards and makes smart ride out type hits to free the puck. He is more active in front of the net but still has to be stronger here. If you want to clammer on how he stinks at defense then fine, but at least be down the middle at least a little. Talking about +/- and how many career games he's played and that Hynes has "punished" him because he sat half a period for a dumb penalty once.

Reactions: Oneiro

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
second part of this is egregious

Its really not. go take a look at how horrible Greene truly is and how he gets the team stuck in it's own end longer than it should be, leading to a lot of the issues this team has with giving up goals.

Some of the smartest players on the team look lost in their own end with they get stuck in it for too long and then Greene gets them stuck in it even longer with a weak clear attempt, a horrible pass to no one but the other team right in a scoring lane, or just doesnt go for the puck because he is too old to hack it anymore, especially at the minutes Hynes insists on giving him.

Greene dragged down Vats last year, Lovejoy the year before, and Severson this year.

Guys bad and makes everyone he has played with the past 3 seasons look utterly horrible.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Its really not. go take a look at how horrible Greene truly is and how he gets the team stuck in it's own end longer than it should be, leading to a lot of the issues this team has with giving up goals.

Some of the smartest players on the team look lost in their own end with they get stuck in it for too long and then Greene gets them stuck in it even longer with a weak clear attempt, a horrible pass to no one but the other team right in a scoring lane, or just doesnt go for the puck because he is too old to hack it anymore, especially at the minutes Hynes insists on giving him.

i just wouldnt bring up karlsson. A lot of good D would struggle with those two as severson has.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Greene dragged down Vats last year, Lovejoy the year before, and Severson this year.

Guys bad and makes everyone he has played with the past 3 seasons look utterly horrible.

You're not being objective when it comes to Greene. And nobody dragged Vats down last year, he was fine. Vats has been far worse this year not tethered to Greene. Lovejoy was playing two pairings above where he should have been in 2016 and Severson's been doing the same **** throughout his career no matter who his partner is.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Is getting the puck out of the zone and onto the sticks of our team a bad thing? Ben Lovejoy hasnt made a good outlet pass in his whole career and it hurts the team and makes his possession numbers worse. I think severson has gotten better at playing 1 on 1s, takes the body more and separates the man from the puck. He is more physical on the boards and makes smart ride out type hits to free the puck. He is more active in front of the net but still has to be stronger here. If you want to clammer on how he stinks at defense then fine, but at least be down the middle at least a little. Talking about +/- and how many career games he's played and that Hynes has "punished" him because he sat half a period for a dumb penalty once.
Everyone on our team that will be here next year minus Greene can make outlet passes, so it doesnt really interest me if hes the best at them (even though I think Vatanen is). And 1 on 1 doesnt matter much considering 90% of the time his mishaps are based on defensive IQ plays like rotations, coverage, and swapping guys and you cant teach that shit if they havent learnt it already. What is Hynes going to say that he hasnt already to Severson to make him realize the thousandth time he lets a guy go off alone in front or doesnt cover for his partner?

There are somethings people cannot be taught and thats it for Severson. IVe said he does well one on one and making thise pick plays to separate the guy from the puck, but it all is moot if the next time it comes in the zone hes expected to cover the right man on a simple 2 on 1 or cover for his d partner off a faceoff...

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Im tired of talking about Severson, I think he can grow and nothing anyone says can make me not think that. On a different Tyson Jost was sent down so that makes me happy.

Reactions: Bleedred

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
You're not objective when it comes to Greene. And nobody dragged Vats down last year, he was fine. Lovejoy was playing two pairings above where he should have and Severson's been doing the same **** throughout his career no matter who his partner has been.

Greene's been bad for 3 seasons now, no matter who his partner has been.

Lol and please, you're not objective about him either.

Oh, and yea, Vatanen was dragged down advanced stat wise by Greene last year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Greene's been bad for 3 seasons now, no matter who his partner has been.

Lol and please, you're not objective about him either.

Oh, and yea, Vatanen was dragged down advanced stat wise by Greene last year.

In your mind nobody's objective if they don't think Greene sucks and is an AHL defenseman.

Greene should be at most a 2nd-3rd pairing guy at this point that is playing first pairing and top D minutes, what's so hard to understand about that? He's still an NHL player, but he - just like everyone else on this defense the last few years is overslotted.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rawly signed Pete Mrazek to be their goalie this year when Robin Lehner was still available. Let’s not act like they have good management.

Reactions: nugg

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Y’all will ***** about anything. This team has so many holes that it’ll take time to fix all of them.
Not that I agree or disagree but - why would Hall sign if this is the case and he truly wants to win?

Makes you wonder if all the folks claiming that worrying about Hall is useless are just hiding from the possibility

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
not that I think we are a good team or anything, but I think we are closer than some of you guys actually think*

if we had league average goaltending this year WITH OUR SAME ROSTER, we'd be competing for a playoff spot.
*competing to get blasted by Toronto, Tampa, etc in the opening round

Big whoop. I've been telling this board for 4+ years now that this team is very far off from relevance. And for each of those years, the majority of the board has responded with that "we aren't really that far off" crap. The team needs 2 top pairing dmen and a strong #2 C. And likely some goalie help. That's a long way to go.

And that's okay. Annoying, but okay. Some people (not you directly) really need to have some more realistic expectations. They'd be less furious all the time if they did.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad