Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It’s stupid. I worked a job for most of my years at college. So did most of my friends. But, if you’re a scholarship athlete, you can’t. Because coaches, ADs and university presidents need to see their checks continue to rise.

100% agree. It’s a strange situation for me though because I also agree that student athletes shouldn’t be paid for their athletics (which is normally where this conversation is leading).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It’s stupid. I worked a job for most of my years at college. So did most of my friends. But, if you’re a scholarship athlete, you can’t. Because coaches, ADs and university presidents need to see their checks continue to rise.
It would be so open for corruption though. Every athlete would have a high paying no show job at the company of a big time booster.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
legally they have to pay their own way? Or could the team offer? Just curious

Thought he was a sophomore cause hes 19
, so yeah that is impressive haha
A reletively few play college hockey as an 18 year old. Talvitie is actually on the young side as a 19 year old freshman. Many kids play 2 years of juniors(whether the USHL, the NAHL, or the Canadian kids from the non stipend leagues) after they graduate high school before going on to college.

Reactions: My3Sons

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I just looked at the standings for the first time in a little while. We're in 13th out of 16 with 39 points. The next three teams ahead of us each have 41 points. Two good games in a row, and a little luck with the other teams, and we could be in 10th place.

Something else fun: We win today, and we're officially at "NHL .500".

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
there’s a huge chasm between the playoff competing teams and the bottom group that we are currently in. even if we surpass them it’s a tall order to make up those 10 points. never say never but it’s going to be real tough

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Probably true...but more like overkill or simply over reaction to prior abuses... Because the abuses in the 1980's were so egregious they were legendary.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
there’s a huge chasm between the playoff competing teams and the bottom group that we are currently in. even if we surpass them it’s a tall order to make up those 10 points. never say never but it’s going to be real tough

Yeah likely it would be Buffalo and Montreal that would have to fall back while we pass both of them. Don't really see the other borderline teams in front (NYI, CBJ, BOS) collapsing and we do need to make up the ten points on two teams at least.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Probably one of the worst 80's movies I can think of but if you read the plot its essentially a satirical documentary of what was going on at the time in NCAA sports...

Johnny Be Good - Wikipedia

And everyone knows the SMU history...

Colorado was another fun place to be around 89. Almost went there but my girlfriend, now wife, was not having any of that.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
It would be so open for corruption though. Every athlete would have a high paying no show job at the company of a big time booster.

This is a very intelligent and important point.

I wonder, could some type of regulations be put in restricting the work? The universities would be able to create a larger department (more $$$) tasked with oversight and even job placement for athletes who wanted extra money. There are campus jobs they could do - I went to a D1 school and had two jobs, one in catering and the other in the weight room. The pay was more than enough for the extra money I wanted.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Welp. Thats the season for me. Playoffs are a done deal at this point by not hitting 40 points before the halfway mark. It'd be a grace of God if they made it or even got close.

Got to be all about development from here on out; less playing vets in crucial moments and more getting kids valuable experience. Hopefully Blackwood comes back and gets his groove going again. Ill be especially upset if Hall comes back and is just stapled to Hischier's wing again to try and salvage the season. Give Santini more playing time.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I propose a rule change. A game can’t end if a team leading takes a penalty. Game ends when pp ends or the team losing takes a penalty.
Games in overtime can’t end if there is power play time left.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

This team is never making it into a playoff position this year.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Just thinking out loud, I’m not even sure how I’d feel about it - given the top6 C situation would anyone have interest in adding Brock Nelson as a FA?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I propose a rule change. A game can’t end if a team leading takes a penalty. Game ends when pp ends or the team losing takes a penalty.
Games in overtime can’t end if there is power play time left.
Sounds almost like soccer :)

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Just thinking out loud, I’m not even sure how I’d feel about it - given the top6 C situation would anyone have interest in adding Brock Nelson as a FA?

He would be a good guy to consider adding and would be of help to the depth situation particularly the middle 6. Having Nico, Nelson, Zajac and Zacha up the middle would be nice. If Boyle were to be brought back he is a guy you can play up the middle along with the wing as well.

Reactions: MichaelJ

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Nelson has quietly moved his game to a different level. Good hands, some size, skates well, good vision, can finish. What’s not to like.

I’m just thinking about age and potential contract demands. If he can slot in long term as the 2C at a reasonable cost it would be great. It would probably take an overpay to wrangle him away from NYI as they have plenty of cap space.

I also like that he has had experience playing wing and (correct me if I’m wrong) but he’s been at least a solid defensive player. As/if younger players grow, he could probably shift around the lineup where appropriate.

Ideally the Devils could add the their forward group via free agency as a trade would likely cost a lot, maybe more than the team is in a position to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad