Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xll

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Kind of like Injury-Time added in Soccer.

I like that concept.

I disagree.

Commit a Penalty just before time expires in a tie game, then kill it off if you don't want to lose.

No point in putting up 2 minutes when Game Time is less than that.

In a tie game, I'm all for eliminating the Game-Clock if there is a penalty and the penalty time is greater than the Game-Time remaining.

If there's just 1 minute left but there's a minor penalty(2:00 minutes), then those 2 minutes take precedence over everything else.

I feel if that type of rule existed, the Devils would've had several more chances at tying the game.

i am really surprised this situation hasn't come up at all. if its a super important game say the playoffs? perfect example canes devils from the year the canes won the cup. game 2 devils take the lead with 20 seconds left? and give up tying goal? if i'm the coach latch onto every cane sweater and drag them down to the ice. i know 2 responses coming 1. thats why you aren't a coach and 2 thats not sportsman like. i get both of that but you see players taking deliberate penalties to prevent a goal how is it any different?

take that thought one further (forgive me i know its not the section) but if you can get an automatic goal awarded to you on a penalty with an open net why shouldn't the same rules be applied if its an "automatic" goal with the goalie in? like say a 2on1 the goalie is out to lunch and the back checker comes and hauls down the attacking player? he will get a 2min penalty but it should be a goal

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Keep raising that trade value. Even if it’s just a 6th or 7th, I will take it!

Feel that way about a majority of our guys right now.

Kinkaid, Boyle, Lovejoy or Schneider for almost any return would be nice. Zajac, and anyone from our defense i’d At least listen to what the return would be at this point. Palms if the return was insanely in our favor. Pretty much nico, Coleman, hall, bratt, Blackwood are the only untouchables for me.

Would also love to see the Devil’s develop a PP unit around Nico. If he would develop his skills on the PP we are looking at a 35+g 85+ point top line defensive shut down center. He’s proving that he can carry a line without Hall.

Also, would mean the Devils would have to get more PP opportunities on the road.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Kinkaid, Boyle, Lovejoy or Schneider for almost any return would be nice. Zajac, and anyone from our defense i’d At least listen to what the return would be at this point. Palms if the return was insanely in our favor. Pretty much nico, Coleman, hall, bratt, Blackwood are the only untouchables for me.

Would also love to see the Devil’s develop a PP unit around Nico. If he would develop his skills on the PP we are looking at a 35+g 85+ point top line defensive shut down center. He’s proving that he can carry a line without Hall.

Also, would mean the Devils would have to get more PP opportunities on the road.

Might as well trade Hall too. That is a full tear down.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Might as well trade Hall too. That is a full tear down.

Not all of those deals would happen but I’d at least listen to the offers for any of those players. I’m not saying get rid of everyone but I think a lot of those players can be replaced or reacquired via fire agency. Especially the first tier.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Honest question... is there an explanation for how often zacha turns over pucks in our own end? The first thing I learned as a kid when I started playing was to never throw a puck up the middle in your own end... it feels like he tries to make that play often. Really don’t get him, when he’s trying he looks dominant at times.... but it seems like he’s floating out there 90% of the time. No room for players like that

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not all of those deals would happen but I’d at least listen to the offers for any of those players. I’m not saying get rid of everyone but I think a lot of those players can be replaced or reacquired via fire agency. Especially the first tier.

Palms isn’t replaceable. Honestly Zajac isn’t being replaced with free agency either.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Oh let's ignore how often our other players give the Puck up all the time as well.

Also you are absolutely clueless and horrible saying if Zacha trips forward and all of that. Keep on showing the type of character human being you are. What an absolute shame.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Palms isn’t replaceable. Honestly Zajac isn’t being replaced with free agency either.

Stone would be a Palms free agency replacement. Again, package would need to be insane. Not saying it would happen but I’d listen if I were Shero. It’s a pretty good free agent class this upcoming year and also a high end draft. A good time to stock up on prospects and draft picks if you ask me.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
We’re in a weird spot. We aren’t making the playoffs, but I’m not sure I see a point in tanking either. Hughes/Kakko really didn’t impress me very much in world juniors. To be honest, I don’t think Hughes has any chance of playing in the nhl next year.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Honest question... is there an explanation for how often zacha turns over pucks in our own end? The first thing I learned as a kid when I started playing was to never throw a puck up the middle in your own end... it feels like he tries to make that play often. Really don’t get him, when he’s trying he looks dominant at times.... but it seems like he’s floating out there 90% of the time. No room for players like that

I'm really surprised that PZ has done that two games in a row, and both led to goals against

Our defensemen routinely turn the puck over and lead to scoring chances against us.
Greene, Vats, Sevs and LJ the bigger offenders.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I would literally listen to any trade offer. Now that doesn’t mean I’m not hanging up in 5 seconds when I hear how far off the other GM is. But as someone has said before me now, if you trade away too many of our top vets, we set the rebuild back 3 + years further. I would in all seriousness trade away all of the most likely candidates to be traded this one trade deadline and let even more young guys get into the line up. We need to give these kids more playing time and look towards the next season and by that I mean player development.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
I'm really surprised that PZ has done that two games in a row, and both led to goals against

Our defensemen routinely turn the puck over and lead to scoring chances against us.
Greene, Vats, Sevs and LJ the bigger offenders.
Makes you wonder if it’s a system thing... either way you’re right our dmen do it all the time too. But zachas body language after is just horrible. You can tell he doesn’t get mad at himself, he doesn’t even react. Never thought work ethic would be his problem, but he really seems to not give a f*** about his career, or winning

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
My bet is we just recoup what we lost last trade deadline by trading away MarJo and Boyle. Kind of hope they make bigger moves than that and let some young kids get a good look.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I've been down on PZ for the longest time but we're starting to see some positive in his game for the past several weeks and I hope he continues to gain confidence.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So say we trade MarJo, Boyle, Stafford, Lovejoy. Returning a 2nd a 2nd, a 7th and a 3rd I think is a safe expectation.

Then, if and when healthy...

Bratt - Nico - Palms
Hall - Zacha - Anderson
Coleman - Zajac - Nosen
Quenneville- Seney - Wood

Greene - Severson
Butcher - Vatanen
Mueller - Santini
Yak

Play Blackwood as much as makes sense

Mix and match however you want but the point is to let the guys who are a part of the future play more.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
My bet is we just recoup what we lost last trade deadline by trading away MarJo and Boyle. Kind of hope they make bigger moves than that and let some young kids get a good look.

There will be playoff teams with defensive injuries or a depth problem in general that will be willing to give up a 3rdish round pick for an expiring contract of Lovejoy. He would be a great veteran to have around any team that would do just fine playing on the 3rd pairing, just as long as you try to keep your 3rd pairing away from the other teams top 2 lines (which any sane coach does). Plus his PK abilities.... someone will pay up.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
There will be playoff teams with defensive injuries or a depth problem in general that will be willing to give up a 3rdish round pick for an expiring contract of Lovejoy. He would be a great veteran to have around any team that would do just fine playing on the 3rd pairing, just as long as you try to keep your 3rd pairing away from the other teams top 2 lines (which any sane coach does). Plus his PK abilities.... someone will pay up.

Would do a 3rd for Lovejoy in a heartbeat. Would be great to package one of the guys you mentioned in the other post with kinkaid. Potentially as backup option for a team in need of goalie depth.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Would do a 3rd for Lovejoy in a heartbeat. Would be great to package one of the guys you mentioned in the other post with kinkaid. Potentially as backup option for a team in need of goalie depth.

With Keith I don’t mind if we trade him or keep him, as long as keeping him means we only plan on starting him 20- 25 games. We need a better plan in place there and it’s obvious management agrees.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Obviously need to not turn the puck over in the d zone but skilled players are going to pass up the middle in the d zone if thats open or if the other team is clogging the board side. Regardless of of what your youth hockey coach said that's a smart play in the right circumstance, just gotta be better about choosing when to do it.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
With Keith I don’t mind if we trade him or keep him, as long as keeping him means we only plan on starting him 20- 25 games. We need a better plan in place there and it’s obvious management agrees.

For sure. I think Blackwood is going to get a serious look. But Kinkaid is a free agent so I’d recoup anything for him in this lost season.

Reactions: Ripshot 43
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad