Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
are the Devils the team most in the dark?

no beat writers, no GM talk, players never speak up...

I think NJ may be one of the least discussed teams in the league, still, in 2018

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
exactly what good is a top pairing dman if our forwards cant keep pressure in the ozone for any sustained length of time?

Very good, they can help keep the puck in the o zone and also make it harder for the other team to have the puck for a long period of time. I think we need a top line wing or second line Center as well, but for me the D is the biggest problem with this team.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Very good, they can help keep the puck in the o zone and also make it harder for the other team to have the puck for a long period of time. I think we need a top line wing or second line Center as well, but for me the D is the biggest problem with this team.
i see no point in paying assets to upgrade the defense when the biggest problem this team has is having zero sustained pressure in the ozone for longer than 30 seconds

This team is such a siv when it comes to odd man breaks and losing the puck/giving it up in the neutral zone

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
i see no point in paying assets to upgrade the defense when the biggest problem this team has is having zero sustained pressure in the ozone for longer than 30 seconds

This team is such a siv when it comes to odd man breaks and losing the puck/giving it up in the neutral zone

Agree to disagree on the biggest problem being sustained possession, I think a number 1 D usually helps big time with that by either joining the rush or keeping pucks alive or making plays in the offensive zone.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Agree to disagree on the biggest problem being sustained possession, I think a number 1 D usually helps big time with that by either joining the rush or keeping pucks alive or making plays in the offensive zone.
i didnt disagree a top d helps with that

but the bald ass moron has us working a system thats entirely based on the rush. This team has no resemblence of an offensive system that keeps up sustained pressure other than when the other team is too tired.

A top d wont be able to keep the puck in when its constantly brought out after a shot that misses the net, an odd man rush where the pass is broken up, and the dump and chase for a line change. Those three examples are the entire offensive scheme of NJ

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
That is because he is leading the team in 5v5 minutes. By a lot.

He is averaging more than a minute 5v5 over Greene and Vatanen. And his defensive Zone starts are higher than they ever have been in his career since his rookie season at just a hair under 54%

He barely plays the PK, which GA/60 takes it in account, which to me is troubling. Maybe the thing is he shouldn't play that many minutes

Reactions: I Hate Tie DOMI

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
He barely plays the PK, which GA/60 takes it in account, which to me is troubling. Maybe the thing is he shouldn't play that many minutes

You clearly don't like severson so you may be a bit biased because 5 on 5 Severson has been great in creating shots and limiting shots for the opponent.

Be the change you want to see in the world
- Gandhi/Dom Mazzetti

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
this season seems to be an exact replica of Colorado in 2016 to 2017

only difference is we wont be the clear worst, dead last all on our own. LA and St Louis will have something to say about that

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
i didnt disagree a top d helps with that

but the bald ass moron has us working a system thats entirely based on the rush. This team has no resemblence of an offensive system that keeps up sustained pressure other than when the other team is too tired.

A top d wont be able to keep the puck in when its constantly brought out after a shot that misses the net, an odd man rush where the pass is broken up, and the dump and chase for a line change. Those three examples are the entire offensive scheme of NJ

I feel like a stud D helps in that rush scenario though, gives an option to the puck if they join the rush and can create more space for the forwards on the rush. Most of the D (almost all) we currently have do not join the rush or just aren't great skaters.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
GA/60 doesn't really show you anything...at all. It's just plus minus without the plus divided by 60, and dividing it by 60 just amplifies guys with low ice time because you don't have very good resolution on their stats.
When I post ga/60, it's 5v5 unless otherwise noted.

Reactions: Aethon

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Kovalchuk is pacing for 17 goals & 48 points.

That's about your typical year of Adam Henrique's production =LULZ

#1, that’s not taking anything at all into context (LA’s usage of him, that entire team sucking ass)...#2, it would be cheaper than henrique if LA retained, and #3 i don’t know about you but i would love to see that type of production on this team...certainly nothing to “lulz” from the bottom of the conference

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I would take a guess Boqvist comes over after this year.

I’d give him a year after of AHL time and then he’s probably our MoJo replacement as that skilled, puck carrying playmaker in the top nine.
He's the best player on his SHL team, I think it's possible he could step into the NHL next year.

Reactions: Devils731

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
#1, that’s not taking anything at all into context (LA’s usage of him, that entire team sucking ass)...#2, it would be cheaper than henrique if LA retained, and #3 i don’t know about you but i would love to see that type of production on this team...certainly nothing to “lulz” from the bottom of the conference
I'm going to assume that he get's some pretty prime usage.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He's the best player on his SHL team, I think it's possible he could step into the NHL next year.
so next year well have almost an entire roster of ELCs?

Folks on this board are starting to overhype the f*** out of our prospects. Ive heard about five different names of guys who could stay up next year - and anyone not named Smith is far from a lock

Yes I think we have some good to great prospects, but Shero is not going to ice a roster which has more ELCs than this year because thatd be yet another waste of a season

at some point we need to add one or two PROVEN talents and let rhe youth trickle in as needed...

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
you would assume wrong then, he played 6 minutes the other night on the 4th line, benched in the third

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If you're taking it to the team level then it's not GA/60, it's goal differential, which is a completely different stat. I don't think anyone is questioning that goal differential is a great way to evaluate teams at a glance, I certainly use it.

But team goal differential is COMPLETELY different than skater GA/60. Goal differential gives you important context to define a player's role, style, and performance. With GA/60 all you're getting is what happens on one side of the ice when the player is on.

Taylor Hall, for example, is leading our forwards in GA/60, but he's also pushing play really hard at the other end of the ice. But if you didn't know that you'd think he was just a bad defensive player, when in reality he's just a high event player that gets a ton of ice time and ends up as a net positive.

Presenting rates against without quality against, rates for, quality for, scoring effects, etc is just regurgitating meaningless data for the sake of having data.

By the way, whats the best predictor for goals for and goals against? Could it be...shots for and shot against? Shots certainly give you much more resolution because you have many more data points to evaluate.

Most current models integrate both goal differential and possession together. I'm not sure why you're still harping on this all-or-nothing approach to Corsi, no one has used Corsi in that way for years. We have so much data now that Corsi is just one tool that can be used to evaluate players.
Hall is not the worst devil in 5v5 ga/60. 8 fwd's have worse ga/60.

And your right gf% is a better overall stat where Hall is 4th amongst fwd's at 54%. Where as Sev's is 4th amongst d-men at 45%.

Now context is important. Level of opposition does need to be considered, still when people talk about how great Sev's has been? I think people are being influenced by his point totals.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
you would assume wrong then, he played 6 minutes the other night on the 4th line, benched in the third
But for the season? He has been on the top PP unit and his most common linemate 5v5 is Jeff Carter by a wide stretch.

If he's been demoted of late well, as noted above, those stats are likely to deflate significantly.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
since the new coach took over he had 3 points in his first game and nothing since. was put on the 4th line last week and just getting less and less time now

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
so next year well have almost an entire roster of ELCs?

Folks on this board are starting to overhype the **** out of our prospects. Ive heard about five different names of guys who could stay up next year - and anyone not named Smith is far from a lock

Yes I think we have some good to great prospects, but Shero is not going to ice a roster which has more ELCs than this year because thatd be yet another waste of a season

at some point we need to add one or two PROVEN talents and let rhe youth trickle in as needed...
I do think Smith will be with the big club next year.

Boqvist is a maybe. I think he'll get a legit chance though. He is playing in a men's league right now.

As per the # of ELC's. Zacha Butcher and Mueller will no longer be on one. So we will have room to fit some more in. ;)

Reactions: Scooooooooooooot

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I do think Smith will be with the big club next year.

Boqvist is a maybe. I think he'll get a legit chance though. He is playing in a men's league right now.

As per the # of ELC's. Zacha Butcher and Mueller will no longer be on one. So we will have room to fit some more in. ;)
then the team will be in the same exact position or worse next year, if we are making more room for ELCs

I doubt very much multiple ELCs make the team AND we upgrade with proven players. Not much room for both

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
since the new coach took over he had 3 points in his first game and nothing since. was put on the 4th line last week and just getting less and less time now
Aight so he started the season with very choice assignments, produced at a meh level given his role, and of late he has been demoted. Fully expect his end of season point totals to be very underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad