Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Team Shooting %.

5v5 we are at 8.03% which is 22nd in the league.
PP we are at 14.85% which is 13th in the league.
Even Strength we 8.03 which is 23rd in the league.

Team Save %.

5v5 we are 91.53 which is 22nd in the league.
PK we are 86.53 which is 16th in the league.
ES we are 90.02 which is 26th in the league.

So 5v5 both our shooting % and Save % is not good.
PP and PK we are middle of the pack.
But that ES strength discrepancy is again evident, which is to be expected.

Now it does raise the questions of shot quality. Are we getting in general a low quality of shot off? Is our defense giving up a better quality of shot then the most of the league?

But I think both in these #'s and the #'s above, it suggests we are not as bad as our record indicates. Not good mind you, but better then however bad we are in the standings.

Reactions: OmNomNom

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Since November 3rd the Devils PP has been third poorest in the league or something like that. I saw this statistic when I watched the Oilers vs the Stars game last night. It's been pretty poor lately.
I wish there was a good stats splits page that broke this stuff down by month.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Thats cute but what about the DEFENSE?
Defense is a team effort. I want to see that those 3rd and 4th line guys play and forecheck with energy and physicality. Perhaps then they wouldn't need to spend so much time in their dzone. I want to see some aggressiveness and passion, those feelings that Miles Wood showed last season.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Aight so he started the season with very choice assignments, produced at a meh level given his role, and of late he has been demoted. Fully expect his end of season point totals to be very underwhelming.

if i’m not mistaken, he was a PPG player before the coaching change and his subsequent demotion to <10 minutes per game. he was the best thing that team had going for it. if his end of season totals are underwhelming, it will be because of the absolute mess rotting in LA

edit- may as well add @BenedictGomez so i don’t have to respond to his with the same answer. context is important. so is, as i said, some kind of salary retention. i do NOT want him at his full cap hit, absolutely not. cut it in half and our top 6 looks a lot better

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
The offense as a unit needs to play better and be a more physical. The biggest problem has been, and remains the defense. Hopefully santini can help a bit, but they need to be alot better.

I just hope both goalies dont let the non existent d get in their heads to ruin their confidence for the season.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
just for funsies:

kovalchuk (0% retained)
muzzin

for

bratt
lovejoy
5th round pick

edit- maybe sub bratt for wood and have them retain 20%

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
just for funsies:

kovalchuk (0% retained)
muzzin

for

bratt
lovejoy
5th round pick
isn't muzzin playing 2nd pairing for them? they have so much depth, he's not even that integral. PLUS, his contract is up after next year

if we're giving up bratt, who's cost controlled, clearly trending upward, and all as the 3rd youngest player in the league, then we either

A.) take kovalchuk with LA retaining or
B.) LA adds. A LOT. or
C.) switch bratt out for something else

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
isn't muzzin playing 2nd pairing for them? they have so much depth, he's not even that integral. PLUS, his contract is up after next year

if we're giving up bratt, who's cost controlled, clearly trending upward, and all as the 3rd youngest player in the league, then we either

A.) take kovalchuk with LA retaining or
B.) LA adds. A LOT. or
C.) switch bratt out for something else

see my edit lol, i agree. a and c

Reactions: OmNomNom

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
if i’m not mistaken, he was a PPG player before the coaching change and his subsequent demotion to <10 minutes per game. he was the best thing that team had going for it. if his end of season totals are underwhelming, it will be because of the absolute mess rotting in LA

edit- may as well add @BenedictGomez so i don’t have to respond to his with the same answer. context is important. so is, as i said, some kind of salary retention. i do NOT want him at his full cap hit, absolutely not. cut it in half and our top 6 looks a lot better
He is right there with Kopitar and Carter in terms of PP minutes.

And of his 318 minutes of 5v5 he has played 160 minutes on Carter's wing, and another 90 minutes on Kopitar's wing.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
6.5m for Kovy is not bad

Hes the top scorer on a Kings team that includes Kopitar. IMO He would thrive in NJ's current system and he could replace Palmieri on the 1st pp unit

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
6.5m for Kovy is not bad

Hes the top scorer on a Kings team that includes Kopitar
. IMO He would thrive in NJ's current system and he could replace Palmieri on the 1st pp unit
This is false, but if we were playing hand grenades I'd allow it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Consider that Kopitar at 5v5 has a GF% of 57%.

Kovy is currently at 38.46%. Which is 11th amongst fwds. Only 4 fwd's on the team have worse.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yup it does, under all strenghts

Yeah, I noticed and edited. The thing is that Mueller has faced 26 shots on the PK, Severson 13 - we should only expect the difference between the two there to be 1-2 goals. That is dwarfed by the empty net goals and 3 on 3 goals - Mueller won't have any of either because he doesn't play with the net empty or 3 on 3.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
He has a no trade or no move. He won’t waive to come to NJ it’s a moot point. He doesn’t want to have that much egg on his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->