Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
then the team will be in the same exact position or worse next year, if we are making more room for ELCs

I doubt very much multiple ELCs make the team AND we upgrade with proven players. Not much room for both
We also have UFA's in Mojo, Boyle, Noesen, and Lovejoy. Not to mention potential trades of roster players, so we could bring in a couple impactful vets while still having a few rookie's join the ranks.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
We also have UFA's in Mojo, Boyle, Noesen, and Lovejoy. Not to mention potential trades of roster players, so we could bring in a couple impactful vets while still having a few rookie's join the ranks.
but what would cause Shero to make any major acquisitions if the team is performing this way? does it not speak volumes to how far away the team is (whether thats my opinion or not is another story)?

i doubt Shero adds 2-3 ELCs as well as adding any worthwhile acquisitions. we only have four spots opening up

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
but what would cause Shero to make any major acquisitions if the team is performing this way? does it not speak volumes to how far away the team is (whether thats my opinion or not is another story)?

i doubt Shero adds 2-3 ELCs as well as adding any worthwhile acquisitions. we only have four spots opening up
isn't that all the more reason to package players and upgrade? we can package a few players at the TDL for upgrades in multiple positions, and then when those spots free up during this summer, we can shop in free agency again, as well as give out ELCs

Reactions: devilsblood

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
#1, that’s not taking anything at all into context (LA’s usage of him, that entire team sucking ass)...#2, it would be cheaper than henrique if LA retained, and #3 i don’t know about you but i would love to see that type of production on this team...certainly nothing to “lulz” from the bottom of the conference

Kovalchuk's poor production is on year 1 of a THREE year deal with an AAV of $6.25 Million on an > 35 contract.

No thanks.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Not sure I understand the bolded. Is the answer not obvious? Ie to improve the team.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
isn't that all the more reason to package players and upgrade? we can package a few players at the TDL for upgrades in multiple positions, and then when those spots free up during this summer, we can shop in free agency again, as well as give out ELCs
we only have four roster spots opening and only one of them is a top 6/4 role

Smith is making the team, so no dman needed unless the teams upgrading. Unless its a top6 winger or Zacha is moving to wing, i dont care much at all to add a bottom 6 player

so who are we moving out to upgrade? Certainly isnt Hall or Hischier. Bratt? Palmieri? Zacha?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Smith is making the team, so no dman needed unless the teams upgrading. Unless its a top6 winger or Zacha is moving to wing, i dont care much at all to add a bottom 6 player

so who are we moving out to upgrade? Certainly isnt Hall or Hischier. Bratt? Palmieri? Zacha?
unpopular opinion, but if you package palmieri, bratt, or zacha with some prospects/picks, couldn't you upgrade the spot you're going to lose? could trade for a higher quality RW

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
You clearly don't like severson so you may be a bit biased because 5 on 5 Severson has been great in creating shots and limiting shots for the opponent.

Be the change you want to see in the world
- Gandhi/Dom Mazzetti

Too bad he can't limit goals against though.

I gave him a lot of credit throughout the season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He barely plays the PK, which GA/60 takes it in account, which to me is troubling. Maybe the thing is he shouldn't play that many minutes
Are you getting your information from? Most GA/60 I have seen have been Even Strength.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Yes adding a top 6 winger(or even C, if we slide Zacha down a line or over to wing) is an obvious spot to look to upgrade.

And there is room at D, and there could be more if we were to trade a current d-man.

And we still need to see if the young guys develop. I think Zacha's slow start has been very much at the heart of our issues this year, but if he finishes the season strong it may not save this season, but it may give you confidence that he can be a 2nd line center we can count on going fwd(and if not then that is a clear spot to look to upgrade). And that goes for all the young guys, like Mueller, or Anderson or Bratt. Do those guys play at a level which gives you confidence we can build around them, or do they play to a level at which it makes mgmt feel we need to look outside the organization to improve.

Or we could make a big ole Zacha, Mueller Anderson for whoever type of deal which brings back an impact player while also opening up spots for either young guys or future acquisitions.

Now we do need to play the next 60 games before we make some of these decisions but there could def be lineup spots that will be filled by young guys, while other spots being filled by proven players.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
It would never happen cause of the circus it would cause but if we took Kovy back unless LA retained pretty much the max (50%) I believe, I can't see Ray having any interest at all.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why the hell is Dea on waivers? I don’t really care, nor like him much, but this move would sometimes lead to a Kevin Rooney call up and that’s something I don’t wanna see at all. Maybe I just need to think about the number on roster, but I’m surprised he was waived. Are we at 8D now? Or will be when Santini comes off IR?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Why the hell is Dea on waivers? I don’t really care, nor like him much, but this move would sometimes lead to a Kevin Rooney call up and that’s something I don’t wanna see at all. Maybe I just need to think about the number on roster, but I’m surprised he was waived. Are we at 8D now? Or will be when Santini comes off IR?

My guess it’s to activate Santini and they didn’t want to send Yak down.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

They're going to be at 8D and also I don't think Dea will be claimed. So he would presumably be one of the first call-ups - before Rooney.

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So as a team, 5v5 we have scored 46 goals, and given up 48, Which puts us 16th in the league in terms of gf%, mediocre, but not all that bad.

We've also scored 15 goals on the PP, while giving up 3. Vs on the PK we've scored 2 while giving up 13. Which means that on special teams we are a net +1. Which is again, mediocre, but not lousy.

Now at even strength, which I figure includes 3v3 in OT, as well as 4v4 situations, and probably empty net situations we are a -9. With 51 goals for and 60 goals against. So subtract the 5v5 #'s, and we see 5 goals for and 12 against, so a -7 in these conditions, which is lousy.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
We've also scored 15 goals on the PP, while giving up 3. Vs on the PK we've scored 2 while giving up 13. Which means that on special teams we are a net +1. Which is again, mediocre, but not lousy.
Since November 3rd the Devils PP has been third poorest in the league or something like that. I saw this statistic when I watched the Oilers vs the Stars game last night. It's been pretty poor lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad