Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Hynes needs to be the fifth coach fired

so annoyed how hes still here

He's not getting fired, especially with Halls status hanging in the balance. Hall loves Hynes.

oh, also are you insinuating Hynes is here until Hall leaves? Why will it automatically be okay to move Hynes once Hall is signed?

I dont think that Hall is in love with Hynes to the point that he wouldn't sign a deal if Hynes we gone. But then again Im not in the organization so who knows.

I also dont believe Hynes is the problem here. He doesnt need to be fired, hes doing what any coach who is trying to win does. Messing with what he has to see if he can get something to click. We are acting like we were some super team last year a game away from the Cup or something. 1 game, IF we lost 1 more game we arent in the playoffs last year. We had holes last year, none that we were able to fill in the offseason. Our jump required our younger players to take steps. Some have, some have not, it also counted on getting more from some vets, again some have, some havent. Its not all on Hynes at all.

Gryba over Yakovlev sucks.

The only think i can come up with is the PK. Im not sure how much time Severson has been getting on the PK, I feel like hes rarely out there. They like wanted to replace Vatmans PK time with Gryba. Im not saying its the smart thing to do. But Then Greene Mueller Lovejoy and Gryba handle PK duties and Butcher and Severson handle PP duties.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Saying we have to keep Hynes to keep Hall is a fallacy like making the playoffs is the end all be all.

Too hung up on details when he is going to make a decision based on the big picture.

Reactions: liquid1988

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
oh, also are you insinuating Hynes is here until Hall leaves? Why will it automatically be okay to move Hynes once Hall is signed?

It won't be. I just get the feeling Hall really likes Hynes, and Shero really likes Hall, so with his impending UFA status, I doubt Hynes is canned. And if/when Hall is signed long term, I think it will take more than a mediocre 20 game stretch to convince Hall he needs to go.

All that said, I'm not offering my feeling on the situation here, just my opinion about what is going to happen. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
its pathetic when no fan would make this move but the coach does

Fans are smarter than given credit for, Hynes certainly isnt

Dude stop it. Thats just silly. Its very easy to be a Monday morning QB (or in this case a Saturday afternoon QB). If your so good then by all means go ahead and become an NHL coach or GM whatever since its so easy. Coaches have access to more information then any one of us do. Players and there personalities, Im sure we have equal access to stats, situations with there players, and so on.

Reactions: HBK27 and Darkauron

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yak was a nightmare on the first goal the other night and was chasing pucks a lot.

Nothing wrong with him sitting. He shouldn’t even be up but alas lots of injuries.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Yak was a nightmare on the first goal the other night and was chasing pucks a lot.

Nothing wrong with him sitting. He shouldn’t even be up but alas lots of injuries.
yes there is one thing wrong with him sitting

It means gryba plays

Id literally take any other player in the NHL over Gryba - he does not one thing right

Reactions: liquid1988

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Perhaps it doesn't make sense to separate the players from the picks.. but I can't help it. I only see the number of picks that went out...

The number of picks that we traded coupled with the fact our farm system isn't really performing the way I think it should and the reserves being incredibly thin highlights those picks to an even greater degree in my opinion.

The Devils under Shero traded picks for Palmieri, Mueller, Johansson, Bennett, Vatanen, Grabner, and Maroon. The Devils traded picks in the following drafts for these players:

2015: 1
2016: 2
2017: 2
2018: 4
2019: 1

They traded 2 of the picks dealt in 2015 and 2016 for Kyle Palmieri, currently the team's leading scorer. I don't think anyone has a problem with that deal. The other 2016 pick was dealt for Beau Bennett. 2016 picks who were born after December 31 just arrived in Binghamton this season. The reason the farm system isn't performing is because they got almost nothing out of 2015, a draft still run by Conte where the Devils only had 5 draft picks because of other deals the Devils made.

I don't think we have the quality we should 4 years into a rebuild and in my mind trading away a ton of 2nd and 3rd rounders has at least something to do with the lack of quality throughout the system.

Don't forget that we missed out on a 3rd rounder in 2017 because Lou traded it to Carolina for Tuomo Ruutu.

Bratt in my opinion is the only saving grace of the last 4 years. Nico is good too but if you don't get at least good out of a #1 overall then I don't even know where you go from there.

The Devils don't have many other star-caliber players, but they have a host of guys, some of whom will become decent NHLers. Marian Studenic, a 2017 pick, is currently leading the AHL team in scoring. Boqvist is doing very well in Sweden. I can go on and on - yeah, the first 3 picks of the 2016 draft aren't performing, but Anderson and Bratt are already in the NHL and others from that draft might someday join them.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The Devils under Shero traded picks for Palmieri, Mueller, Johansson, Bennett, Vatanen, Grabner, and Maroon. The Devils traded picks in the following drafts for these players:

2015: 1
2016: 2
2017: 2
2018: 4
2019: 1

They traded 2 of the picks dealt in 2015 and 2016 for Kyle Palmieri, currently the team's leading scorer. I don't think anyone has a problem with that deal. The other 2016 pick was dealt for Beau Bennett. 2016 picks who were born after December 31 just arrived in Binghamton this season. The reason the farm system isn't performing is because they got almost nothing out of 2015, a draft still run by Conte where the Devils only had 5 draft picks because of other deals the Devils made.

Don't forget that we missed out on a 3rd rounder in 2017 because Lou traded it to Carolina for Tuomo Ruutu.

The Devils don't have many other star-caliber players, but they have a host of guys, some of whom will become decent NHLers. Marian Studenic, a 2017 pick, is currently leading the AHL team in scoring. Boqvist is doing very well in Sweden. I can go on and on - yeah, the first 3 picks of the 2016 draft aren't performing, but Anderson and Bratt are already in the NHL and others from that draft might someday join them.
thank you for your service

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Hey, but coaching isn't a problem here.

I'd rather see Yakovlev in there over Gryba as well, but it's not THAT unreasonable to swap the two.

Vats averages 2:27 of PK time a night, which needs to be replaced. Butcher (0:14) isn't a good option and it doesn't look like they really want Severson (0:30) in that role either. Yak hasn't had any PK time in his 4 games, so it doesn't appear the coaching staff trusts him in that role while Gryba has averaged 2:25 in his games so it's a spot they feel comfortable using him. Could be part of the equation as to why Gryba draws in for this match.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
well we dont have that luxury of time

letting this season go to waste is NOT an option for management - if a deal comes up and a first is needed, it will be used.

If you think they're trading a possible lottery pick just to make the playoffs you haven't paid attention to what Shero has said or done in the last four years. He's been painstaikingly slow in using cap space, if he was under pressure to win immediately they'd have thrown more money around this offseason and traded a couple of prospects.

It'd be one thing if the Devils were an actual title contender, or if you were trading the first-rounder for a long-term solution (which I'd be fine with) but that's not the same thing as doing a deal cause the season might go to waste.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'd rather see Yakovlev in there over Gryba as well, but it's not THAT unreasonable to swap the two.

Vats averages 2:27 of PK time a night, which needs to be replaced. Butcher (0:14) isn't a good option and it doesn't look like they really want Severson (0:30) in that role either. Yak hasn't had any PK time in his 4 games, so it doesn't appear the coaching staff trusts him in that role while Gryba has averaged 2:25 in his games so it's a spot they feel comfortable using him. Could be part of the equation as to why Gryba draws in for this match.
one + is that gryber will probably be willing to fight domi or shaw, since those guys are scrappers. losing gryba for one of those two in the box would be immense

Camille the Eel

Yak has an upside, in developing, that Gryba does not. He apparently made a bad mistake at the start of the last game. I didn’t see it because I only tuned in after the score was 2 - 1 and had the pleasure of watching us chase for 53 minutes of non scoring.

But watching Yak, I saw a guy with major league size and strength - things Butcher lacks - and who skates very well, with speed and edge work (which Greene and Lovejoy don’t do at this point). He’s strong on his stick, quick to move the puck and has a decent shot.

What he is, is incredibly raw and green. Probably he should be playing 20 minutes a night in Binghamton but will have benefited from experience of the high pace game here.

He has the tools and physique at least to be a solid NHL guy.

Switching topics, I don’t care how we got here but (as someone said the other night) I look at this lineup and see too much AHL talent at the moment in the bottom half of the lineup.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This isn’t the NFL. NJ had one first overall pick recently and no other picks in the top five since Larsson. Larsson=Hall which I don’t see anyone complains about.

It’s not the NFL. Rebuilding a hockey team takes years. Look how many years it took WPG to develop a core that was competitive at a high level. It took years for TOR as well. They sped things up with JT signing but unlikely a UFA like that signs with NJ (or any other small market team). I’m sure we’d all like better players in spots short of lotto luck it’s tough to find tip top players.

Other than MarJo I’m not sure any of the trades have been truly bad. Grabner and Maroon served their purpose. They were rentals and the team made the playoffs. If you are disappointed Grabner wasn’t better that’s on you. The team made the playoffs which is why those deals were made. I would be shocked if Shero expressed any regret for those deals. MarJo hasn’t worked out but show me anyone at the time of the deal who suggested NJ got the short end of the stick? It’s easy to play captain hindsight.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Say Ottawa takes our first for an extended Duchene, do you do it? I'm not opposed to trading it IF it comes with a worthwhile player signed to a good deal.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This isn’t the NFL. NJ had one first overall pick recently and no other picks in the top five since Larsson. Larsson=Hall which I don’t see anyone complains about.

It’s not the NFL. Rebuilding a hockey team takes years. Look how many years it took WPG to develop a core that was competitive at a high level. It took years for TOR as well. They sped things up with JT signing but unlikely a UFA like that signs with NJ (or any other small market team). I’m sure we’d all like better players in spots short of lotto luck it’s tough to find tip top players.

Other than MarJo I’m not sure any of the trades have been truly bad. Grabner and Maroon served their purpose. They were rentals and the team made the playoffs. If you are disappointed Grabner wasn’t better that’s on you. The team made the playoffs which is why those deals were made. I would be shocked if Shero expressed any regret for those deals. MarJo hasn’t worked out but show me anyone at the time of the deal who suggested NJ got the short end of the stick? It’s easy to play captain hindsight.

The MoJo deal was also with picks that we'd gotten for picking up Savard's dead cap space and Toronto hiring Lou, so even if he ends up not working out it's not a complete disaster. I thought MoJo was actually going to fit in quite well with us, so I'm surprised it hasn't worked out that well. Although I still don't think we've made it any easier on him with how we've used him. He was playing with Zacha, who was allergic to finishing until his demotion, and Bratt hasn't been back very long. Those two have looked pretty good, even in the losses. Hopefully it gets MoJo going, because if it doesn't, I don't know what the hell will.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

Camille the Eel

The MoJo deal was also with picks that we'd gotten for picking up Savard's dead cap space and Toronto hiring Lou, so even if he ends up not working out it's not a complete disaster. I thought MoJo was actually going to fit in quite well with us, so I'm surprised it hasn't worked out that well. Although I still don't think we've made it any easier on him with how we've used him. He was playing with Zacha, who was allergic to finishing until his demotion, and Bratt hasn't been back very long. Those two have looked pretty good, even in the losses. Hopefully it gets MoJo going, because if it doesn't, I don't know what the hell will.
I’m also thinking the theory that Marjo is playing shy after the concussion may have some legs. Because you do see him, more than anything, circling the perimeter and staying away from the dirty, high contact stuff in the crease. Which is a problem but could well be the result of not wanting a lot of major contact.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not cutting Mojo any slack. The return of Bratt has quickly made Zacha productive. Why couldn't the veteran with a 50 point season under his belt get that line going? Well, the more I look at it the more it appears he was riding coat tails in Washington. He can be a good cog of a LW if on a line with excellent players, but put him on the wing of a young guy who is still trying to find his game? Not productive.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yak has an upside, in developing, that Gryba does not. He apparently made a bad mistake at the start of the last game. I didn’t see it because I only tuned in after the score was 2 - 1 and had the pleasure of watching us chase for 53 minutes of non scoring.

But watching Yak, I saw a guy with major league size and strength - things Butcher lacks - and who skates very well, with speed and edge work (which Greene and Lovejoy don’t do at this point). He’s strong on his stick, quick to move the puck and has a decent shot.

What he is, is incredibly raw and green. Probably he should be playing 20 minutes a night in Binghamton but will have benefited from experience of the high pace game here.

He has the tools and physique at least to be a solid NHL guy.

Switching topics, I don’t care how we got here but (as someone said the other night) I look at this lineup and see too much AHL talent at the moment in the bottom half of the lineup.
Yak is 27 and played 6 years in the KHL. If he is still incredibly raw and green you have to wonder if he ever matures as a player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hynes needs to be the fifth coach fired

so annoyed how hes still here
Last year under Hynes the Devils way exceeded expectations. It would take a complete collapse this year to get him fired. And while we have disappointing we have not been that bad.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Ottawa would be desperate in getting a first round pick, especially if they are on the verge of missing the playoffs, since they don't have theirs. They might be desperate and jump on a lower offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad