New Jersey

Hooray!

ARgx17t.gif

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Thanks for the compliments.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and to some degree I thought Ray was making some good moves (though some I disagreed with)

But wouldn't you absolutely love to have these assets:

2019 3rd round pick
2018 2nd round pick
2018 2nd round pick
2018 3rd round pick
2017 2nd round pick
2017 4th round pick
2018 5th round pick
JD Dudek
Yegor Rykov

over

rental Maroon
rental Grabner
Micro Mueller + 2017 5th
Marcus Johansson
Scott Wedgewood

Really, really poor return on some prime assets. Sure, some of these (let's face it...most) picks won't pan out. But what if 1-2 become roster players and 1 or even 2 become really solid contributors or even star players?
It would be unfair for me as a new poster to start commenting on past trades as I was not here to pass an opinion on them at the time. In general, I think a GM should be trying to acquire players on ELC's and RFA type contracts. The reason is those are very valuable assets in a sport with a salary cap. What many posters on HF do not do is relate a players performance to his contract. Take Taylor Hall for example. He won the MVP playing for $6 million per season (RFA contract). He will be less valuable when he signs his UFA contract. He will be older and it is unlikely his production will increase with his contract. I still want to sign him as he is clearly a "strong link" player to use the phrase from the article. A team can only afford so many of those fully valued contracts so you have to make sure you give them to the right player.

Another example is the MarJo and Palms trades. They were the same trade from a concept perspective. They were 2nd/3rd round picks for RFA salary wings. The outcome has been very different but the concept is the same. IMO those types of trades can be OK to try because the team is getting an RFA contract back for the picks.

As you could surmise I do not like the Grabner/Maroon type of trades as I value 2nd and 3rd picks much more highly than rentals for non cup contending teams. The team acquiring the veteran loses the chance to pick a player that could be one of those valuable ELC/RFA.

The other type of trade I do not like is the "trade next years first round pick for a soon to be UFA type of trade" if the team is not a cup contender like the Devils. You lose your chance to acquire an appreciating asset that plays on an ELC/RFA while acquiring a fully valued asset that will likely start depreciating in a few seasons.

Reactions: devilsblood

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I'm can't guess how effective that 2nd line will be, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited as hell to watch it.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I also think it's a bit unfair to hold a goalies lack of wins against him when he's playing on a bad team. If the team in front of him is scoring 2 goals or less many nights, he's got to be damn near perfect to get a win. Which is pretty much the situation Cory was in his first few years with us. Which is why I think this "he was never good to begin with" is a bunch of revisionist BS.

None of this has anything to do with anything I've posted.
1. I'm simply comparing wins by goalies on the same team playing behind the same players. I'm not saying Hasek is a bad goalie just because Buffalo sucked for a while. You're putting words in my mouth.
2. I never said Cory was never a good goalie. He was fantastic for this team when they were terrible. However, I'm not one of the fools around here that believe his game is devoid of holes. Holes that he has ALWAYS had. At any point in his full career, he's never been the BEST goalie on any team at a number of things - rebound control, reading gameplay, glove hand, shootouts, puck handling, etc. He has always been the best goalie on his team at a large number of things.
3. Your 'combination of stats', is *sadly* just one or two stats because goalie stats suck. We're simply dealing with rocks and sticks here instead of sophisticated tools. Until we get some real goalie stats, it is difficult to compare and judge goalie play by them.

You're absolutely right that anyone saying Cory hasn't been great for us is revisionist garbage, and that judging goalies solely upon wins or SV% is silly - but that isn't at all what I'm doing here.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Big fan of those lines as well.

If only tickets didn't cost like $500 I'd definitely be there

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i don’t like wood on the 4th line, but i guess we don’t have many options

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
If a goal is scored on a rebound shot, a lot of buildings don’t even count the first shot as a shot on goal/save for the goalie. That’s something I’ve noticed more in the last several years since Fox Sports started putting up a shot on goal counter next to the score. You’ll see the shot on goal count only go up by 1 after the goal is scored and not by 2.
I'll take your word for that.... I honestly dont know if they count it as 1 shot or 2,3, etc depending on the # of rebounds. I guess that's the digression of the stats guy there, so it may differ a little in each building.
I'll just continue to go by the eye test and ignore stats as I have a higher %of reading goalies then just looking at numbers on a sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad