Devils 2018-19 Team Discussion (news and notes) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Zacha always looks good. It just never shows up on the scoreboard. Which is fine! Plenty of forwards make good careers out of being defensively excellent while not piling on points. It's just that the majority of them aren't de-facto 2nd line centers who were high draft picks.

He's very obviously an NHL-level forward; it's just that, so far, that level seems to be more suited for a 3rd line / traditionally checking role.

We all have a solid reason to be disappointed in his play (especially after the past few games of nothingness), but he's a young guy so there's hope.

If it were up to me, I'd staple him to the 3rd line and let him know he needs to play his way up. There's no way Zajac would be a worse 2nd line center than him right now.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I hear Lovejoy is out for the Philly game because his port side sidelight (the red one) is out. Apparently the team is concerned that if there is another slow turning craft on the rink with him there may be a collision. It's probably best for everyone if he stays at anchor until a new bulb can be found. The good news is that Butcher won't have to wear a life preserver while playing along side Santini.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If Zacha becomes a Zajac replacement, I'll be thrilled. The thing is even Zajac chips in at a (much?) higher rate.

I doubt Zacha ends up being that smart of a player though. Trav is going to go down as one of the most underappreciated players in our history.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
If you watched the first 2 games of the season and were not impressed with Zacha's play, you are being dishonest IMO

I agree the past few games he is back to what he was doing last year, but still.

But still what? We wait 5 years for him to maybe score 20 goals. We need a decent 2nd line scoring center now. I’ll take a 40/50 point skater over Zacha any day. Because, at this rate if he nets 25 pts., this season he’ll be lucky. I’d consider packaging him and Cory together for an improvement.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I do like how people can go from “he needs to produce more then the last few games” to “this 21 year old is a finished product and a bust”

i never actually looked at your avatar. this whole time i thought it was cleveland brown

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I do like how people can go from “he needs to produce more then the last few games” to “this 21 year old is a finished product and a bust”

The problem is that we don’t exactly now what Zacha is or going to be. I only know for the Devils to become a serious playoff team they will need more production from the 2nd line. We root for the kid and he looks great for a couple of games, only to revert to his old form. For me he is very frustrating.

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't disagree at all. But I think 5 games into a new season is a little premature to be having this conversation.
I’ve been patient with his development but I need to see some production. Especially if Zajac is down for an extended period. It has to click soon.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
BTW, it's funny how Gryba clears waivers and is sent down the day we announce Lovejoy won't be available for the next game. I would have thought we'd at least carry him over to Philly in case someone gets hurt during warmups.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
PZ needs to see a shrink or better yet a hypnotist.

DecisiveTenseAnemone-size_restricted.gif

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
But still what? We wait 5 years for him to maybe score 20 goals. We need a decent 2nd line scoring center now. I’ll take a 40/50 point skater over Zacha any day. Because, at this rate if he nets 25 pts., this season he’ll be lucky. I’d consider packaging him and Cory together for an improvement.

I mean, he had 25 points last season...

I'm not sure what your point is re: a "40/50 point skater"? Where is that player coming from exactly?

and not for nothing, but no one is taking Schneider's contract right now until he proves he can come back and be a consistent NHL goaltender.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I mean, he had 25 points last season...

I'm not sure what your point is re: a "40/50 point skater"? Where is that player coming from exactly?

and not for nothing, but no one is taking Schneider's contract right now until he proves he can come back and be a consistent NHL goaltender.

My point is that if he continues like he is we have a whole at the 2 or 3 center position. Don’t you think?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Forwards who develop into scorers only after more than 3 seasons in the league (like Couturier) are the exception, not the norm, in today's NHL. If he doesn't get his shit together this season, his chances of becoming a legit 2C drop significantly. That's not to say it's impossible, but it just becomes a matter of whether this franchise can afford to continue waiting for him to become something he hasn't yet proven to be.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I hear Lovejoy is out for the Philly game because his port side sidelight (the red one) is out. Apparently the team is concerned that if there is another slow turning craft on the rink with him there may be a collision. It's probably best for everyone if he stays at anchor until a new bulb can be found. The good news is that Butcher won't have to wear a life preserver while playing along side Santini.

This is your best post ever. Literally lol’d.

Reactions: My3Sons

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I have a feeling they are going to take full advantage of a lot of two-way contracts this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
hey what are the numbers for the Mega Millions while youre at it !

Honestly it wasn't that hard of a prediction lol, they needed another center. It is a bit funny they sent Quenneville down straight off when they had the roster room to promote Rooney regardless but I guess they figure they want him to play a couple of games in Bingo coming up.

Reactions: The 29th Pick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad