Devils 2018-19 Team Discussion (news and notes) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
No doubt, but I'm tired of seeing guys picked after PZ make impacts while he doesn't in most games.
I really don't care where he was picked at this point. The guy seems to have a lot of tools, and I just want him to put it together. It's someone we're relying on, and though he's shown some flashes, I'm not sure how long my patience is going to hold out.

The guy's young and he can definitely improve, but for this season, I would really have preferred to get a viable 2C and have Zacha play wing or center in the bottom 6.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
and here we go!

Whats your deal with constantly defending Zacha? Sure the kid is a good defensive forward and he helps our penalty kill, but he is a big disappointment considering 1. his draft position and 2. the glaring success of basically like 10-15 players that were drafted after him. Devils are 4-1 through 5 games, and he still hasn't registered a point. He has just 16 goals in 145 career games, 150 if we want to include playoffs. There comes a time when you have to just stop defending him and accept the fact that the Devils made a mistake picking him 6th overall in that stacked draft. We are still sitting here expecting him to do big things offensively and at this point its probably more likely that it isn't going to ever happen.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's absolutely fair to get on Zacha at this point, just because some people don't want to admit the naysayers might be right about him heading down the bust path. He's had one good game where he didn't score yippee, the rest of the time he's been a glorified third-liner at best. If this is 'good, improved' Zacha big freaking deal. It's what Blake Coleman was supposed to be before he actually developed a quasi-scoring touch. It's the guy's third year, the bar needs to be a little higher by now considering the opportunities he's consistently gotten everywhere even-strength in the top six, having a decent third-line defensive forward isn't what anyone had in mind - if it was he wouldn't be getting put in the top six again and again with no results.

The issue with the naysayers is you guys can't wait to trumpet how right you were and basically come off like you're gleeful that Zacha looks like he'll never be a real top six force.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What ever happened to Santini???

Well he's likely playing tomorrow...in general, he probably got too much too soon last year, then fell by the wayside late in the season during the playoff stretch so he could get more experience in the AHL. This year he was poor in camp and got beaten out by Lovejoy for the third pairing/PK role.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well he's likely playing tomorrow...in general, he probably got too much too soon last year, then fell by the wayside late in the season during the playoff stretch so he could get more experience in the AHL. This year he was poor in camp and got beaten out by Lovejoy for the third pairing/PK role.

Hopefully he comes back hungry for his spot back, that would be a waste of 1.4m

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hopefully he comes back hungry for his spot back, that would be a waste of 1.4m

The contract isn't a big deal since you'd have to pay your #7D $600k - $1.2 million generally anyway but the fact they gave him three years shows they still think (or thought before camp this year) he had enough potential to stick in a top six.

Reactions: Czarchuk

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The first two games Zacha played this season he looked like a different player, and now the last 2 he looks like the guy he's been the last 2 years. I'd like to see him and Johansson separated for a bit - Zacha and Wood worked really well together last season and it looks like that will be the combination tomorrow.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The contract isn't a big deal since you'd have to pay your #7D $600k - $1.2 million generally anyway but the fact they gave him three years shows they still think (or thought before camp this year) he had enough potential to stick in a top six.

Thanks for the info. I like the Devils and was just curious, especially since i picked him up late in a draft in a 24 team fantasy league. Just wondered if he would get any games.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Whats your deal with constantly defending Zacha? Sure the kid is a good defensive forward and he helps our penalty kill, but he is a big disappointment considering 1. his draft position and 2. the glaring success of basically like 10-15 players that were drafted after him. Devils are 4-1 through 5 games, and he still hasn't registered a point. He has just 16 goals in 145 career games, 150 if we want to include playoffs. There comes a time when you have to just stop defending him and accept the fact that the Devils made a mistake picking him 6th overall in that stacked draft. We are still sitting here expecting him to do big things offensively and at this point its probably more likely that it isn't going to ever happen.

or maybe I am more rational than to automatically claim a 21 year old player a bust? He looked great in the first 2 games or so and has not the past 2 games or so. He is still developing. Am I disappointed so far this year? Yeah, sure you could say that. That doesn't change my overall point.

constantly bringing up we "made a mistake" by taking him doesn't do anybody any good. Especially considering he was ranked by all of the media outlets right around where we picked him. The revisionist history is what bothers me the most. We don't need to hear about "BUT WE SHOULD HAVE PICKED THIS PLAYER!" every other day.

Reactions: Darkauron

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
or maybe I am more rational than to automatically claim a 21 year old player a bust? He looked great in the first 2 games or so and has not the past 2 games or so. He is still developing. Am I disappointed so far this year? Yeah, sure you could say that. That doesn't change my overall point.

constantly bringing up we "made a mistake" by taking him doesn't do anybody any good. Especially considering he was ranked by all of the media outlets right around where we picked him. The revisionist history is what bothers me the most. We don't need to hear about "BUT WE SHOULD HAVE PICKED THIS PLAYER!" every other day.

Nobody said "we should have picked this player"... The only thing that was said that Zacha has been disappointing. That's all. And its true.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
oh, plenty of people have said that.

In fairness, it's mostly the Debbie Downer Brothers DD and DS saying that. I think it's fine to be frustrated by Zacha's inability to find the scoresheet. At some point simply "playing well" isn't enough for a player we're hoping is a top 6 forward. I don't think we're quite there yet though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Nobody said "we should have picked this player"... The only thing that was said that Zacha has been disappointing. That's all. And its true.

Relitigating the 2015 draft is common sport around here and behind at least 95% of the anti-Zacha posts, it just doesn't do any good though - the scouting department that made that pick is no longer here so what's the difference? It's the literal definition of beating a dead horse. We have Zacha now and we need to figure out a way to get the most out of him.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Isn't there some middle ground with Zacha? Like... can't you be disappointed in his progress to date, but still believe he'll turn the corner later in his career like many power forwards have done in the past?

Maybe it's fence sitting, but it's the path I choose to take.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think it's pretty obvious Zacha isn't a bust at least to me anyway.

You may not be happy with his current or potential production, especially from a former #6 overall but Zacha has overly obvious NHL ability in my opinion.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Isn't there some middle ground with Zacha? Like... can't you be disappointed in his progress to date, but still believe he'll turn the corner later in his career like many power forwards have done in the past?

nah you aren't allowed to think rationally here, apparently.

Its just like politics. People demand that you choose one side or the other...there is no in between.

Reactions: Nubmer6

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Nope sorry, pick a side and grab a weapon or GTFO. -Hf

Reactions: Nubmer6

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nobody seems to have a problem with Johansson's lack of production tough? Or are we just blaming Zacha for Johansson's ghost like play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad