Devils 2018-19 Team Discussion (news and notes) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If you watched the first 2 games of the season and were not impressed with Zacha's play, you are being dishonest IMO

I agree the past few games he is back to what he was doing last year, but still.

Reactions: Darkauron

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ehh I haven't been impressed with him at all, but don't feel like starting a war.
What I was really getting at was maybe the staff put together a shitty line? Maybe we should wait to see Bratt on the line as was orginally anticipated?

Maybe it is just 5 games and there needs to be a adjustment period for lines to gell?

Reactions: Camille the Eel

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Isn't there some middle ground with Zacha? Like... can't you be disappointed in his progress to date, but still believe he'll turn the corner later in his career like many power forwards have done in the past?

Maybe it's fence sitting, but it's the path I choose to take.

I think that's where a majority of the fans are.

I was optimistic he was going to put it together offensively last season after a strong preseason and it never materialized. He had a good first game or two (despite no points) and if he kept up that style of play the points would've come. The past 3 games have been very disappointing.

The hope is that he can follow a similar path as Sean Couturier who was picked in a similar spot (8th vs. 6th) and was very good defensively his first few seasons in the league, but never quite put up the offensive numbers you were hoping for before breaking out in a big way last season. Still, by the time Couturier was entering his +4 year he at least had a pair of 13-goal seasons and had hit 39 points whereas Zacha so far has maxed out at 8/25. Was hoping he'd take a big step forward this year and at least double his season high goal total (Couturier had 15 in his draft +4 season), but though very early I would have to take the under on 16 goals for Zacha at this point.

Pavel is also an RFA at the end of the season so this is a huge year for his financially. Maybe that's weighing on him a little bit but that would be a piss poor excuse for his play the past 3 games.

I'm certainly not giving up on him, but man...Pavel netting 20-25 goals for this team this season would be huge and there's no reason to think he's not capable given the flashes we've seen of him in the past. It's more a matter of playing consistently at a high level and burying more of his chances.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Zajac and Lovejoy out tomorrow for game against Philly. Santini and Johnny Q could play.

Cory sent to Binghamton to condition.

We will miss Zajac IMO. The team will really have to step up tomorrow.

Go Devils

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ehh I haven't been impressed with him at all, but don't feel like starting a war.

I'm suspect with Johansson too but maybe like someone else has said the two of them need a finisher on their line, since neither of them are obviously going to do it.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
What I was really getting at was maybe the staff put together a ****ty line? Maybe we should wait to see Bratt on the line as was orginally anticipated?

Maybe it is just 5 games and there needs to be a adjustment period for lines to gell?
I understand, but just branching off this, I would go as far to say that Zacha has looked better for the most part.......

Bring it on.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I'm suspect with Johansson too but maybe like someone else has said the two of them need a finisher on their line, since neither of them are obviously going to do it.
Yea, I think the way I look at him now was my own fault.

When we got him, I thought he was going to come in and just go on a tear. Then he got hurt and was about to come back I thought the same thing again but was again disappointed. Then when he came in for the 3rd time I tempered my expectations big time. I realized I WAY overestimated him. Not sure why, just new toy syndrome maybe. But even in dialing back what to expect from him, I still haven't really been impressed.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I don't disagree at all. But I think 5 games into a new season is a little premature to be having this conversation.
Yea, he hasn't gone full blown Yayo/Teddy yet. I see how it could happen. But when he looks good, he just looks too good to not produce.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't disagree at all. But I think 5 games into a new season is a little premature to be having this conversation.
5 games is premature, but I was really hoping to see some consistency. Two spectacular games with nothing to show for it doesn't bother me. The 3 afterwards have me concerned he's slipping into his old habits.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
5 games is premature, but I was really hoping to see some consistency. Two spectacular games with nothing to show for it doesn't bother me. The 3 afterwards have me concerned he's slipping into his old habits.
See I thought the same about Wood. I think that line overall has been quiet since the 1st game. I thought Hall has looked bad for most of this season...Nico has been invisible for large chunks too....but we are 4-1 and different people have stepped up at different times. I just think we need to see has this plays out...at least a little more.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
See I thought the same about Wood. I think that line overall has been quiet since the 1st game. I thought Hall has looked bad for most of this season...Nico has been invisible for large chunks too....but we are 4-1 and different people have stepped up at different times. I just think we need to see has this plays out...at least a little more.

True although Hall traditionally has a slow start though, and I wouldn't call 6 points in 4 games bad. I guess there's a lot of eyes on the 2nd line cause it's really the biggest question mark other than maybe the D. Having a viable 2nd scoring line would go a long way to having a successful season.

I have to say though, even with last night's performance, I'm satisfied with our D. While it can be better, I think it's enough to be decent.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'm biased, but Bratt's impact on Mojo and Zacha seemed significant to me. Bratt's ability to maintain possession for a long time takes the burden off of the weakest part of Zacha's game which is creativity (and finish, I guess) and gives Mojo someone more dynamic to work with. Mojo is an East-West player basically.

It might be that Zacha needs to be the garbageman who cleans up after our flying Swedes.

Reactions: Comparison Ford
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad