Devils 2016-17 team discussion (players news & notes) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I could definitely picture Helgeson in the #7 D role and it's not a bad spot at this point. He's gotten all he's going to get out of the AHL, his upside is limited to playing 12-13 protected minutes once in a while but you'd hope someone else gets called up/plays if they're needed for a longer period of time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm waiting for the explosion when we don't claim anybody.

Or when we do claim Rob Scuderi or someone the Penguins cut.

Not to mention if god forbid we sign Lindback. I don't get why he's still here unless it's for AHL insurance if Wedge gets claimed.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Or when we do claim Rob Scuderi or someone the Penguins cut.

Not to mention if god forbid we sign Lindback. I don't get why he's still here unless it's for AHL insurance if Wedge gets claimed.

Nail meet head.

Plus it's because they might want to irritate Bleed.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I could definitely picture Helgeson in the #7 D role and it's not a bad spot at this point. He's gotten all he's going to get out of the AHL, his upside is limited to playing 12-13 protected minutes once in a while but you'd hope someone else gets called up/plays if they're needed for a longer period of time.

I much rather him in the 7th role over Santini or another younger guy. I want them playing every game in the AHL over our press box.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My only worry is if we lose on Thursday, Helgeson is inserted for whoever on Thursday. If he doesn't play much at all, I wouldn't care. But I can see guys being rotated after a loss.
Nail meet head.

Plus it's because they might want to irritate Bleed.
I think he's just here for insurance. If Wedgewood is claimed, he's probably gone. If Wedgewood is claimed, he's probably AHL bound and would get a contract there.
I much rather him in the 7th role over Santini or another younger guy. I want them playing every game in the AHL over our press box.

I don't wanna Santini as the 7th guy either.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm waiting for the explosion when we don't claim anybody.

Yep the sky is falling nonsense that comes around with these type of situations. I love it come deadline day or Free Agency signing day when we see deals and half the people here respond with "We couldn't have offered that?" or "We couldn't have beaten that deal?" or the ever popular "Why isn't (insert GM) doing anything OMGZ!!!!"

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
In case anyone's interested, the Devils Facebook page posted a pretty informative interview with Hynes. I'd recommend giving it a listen. Gives some insight into Hynes' thought process.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think so, unless you are saying that by now waiving Helgeson today we won't be able to waive him tomorrow in time for the 23 man roster.

rosters have to be set at 5pm tomorrow

waiving him tomorrow wouldn't get him "off" The roster until noon Wednesday.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Forgive me if the answer is already in the thread, but did Blake Speers make it for his 9 game audition at least? He's a really exciting player.

we don't really know yet for sure, but it seems that he has.

though, we might claim someone tomorrow in which case they might just send him back

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Forgive me if the answer is already in the thread, but did Blake Speers make it for his 9 game audition at least? He's a really exciting player.

It appears so...unless they claim or trade for a player or two in the next couple of days.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Let's hope the sharks claim condon instead of wedge

I hope the Sharks don't claim either.

Condon was ****ing trash last year. I'd rather use the Trojan man in net than him. He was like Kinkaid, only for even more games played. He's a scrub.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

We don't know for sure, but Hynes basically said that Speers had pretty much earned a spot on the Opening night roster, so, right now, the signs point to "yes."

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was Wood sent back? I can't remember if he was assigned to Albany or
If he's still with the team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why do people want Wedgewood to clear. He will start over Blackwood and Appleby and limit their development.

Who knows? People saw his 4 NHL games and solid AHL season last year and think he's turned a corner. Yet before that, he was terrible and as bad or worse at the AHL level than Kinkaid was at the NHL level last year and throughout his AHL career.

Combined with how bad Kinkaid was last year. But some of the same people were defending Kinkaid early last year when I was coming down hard on him.

I don't want Wedgewood to get claimed though. I'm hoping Kinkaid's leash is really short and that if he delivers up a couple duds, we waste no time throwing him to waivers and giving Wedgewood another shot. Although I'm still not confident in Wedgewood. Kinkaid was terrible last year and if it continues a few starts into this year, it's time to nuke him. His play was awful last year and we can't afford almost a softy per game (which translates to .903 goaltending) every time he plays. We lost a few games because of him last year and won just as many games directly in spite of his poor play, by bailing him out with goals.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
if Speers makes the team, whens the last time we had 2 teenagers make it?

Don't know the answer but I'm very surprised by Speers. I was never really high on him(for no good reason admittedly) but I am a buyer now.

Really liked that Coach used him so much on the PK, that's what really what got me changing my mind.

Still on the slight side though so I would like to see him head down after his 9, but if this kid proves good enough to stay with the big club, how can I argue?

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
if Speers makes the team, whens the last time we had 2 teenagers make it?

The closest I can think of is Sykora and Elias in 96 as both made it out of camp. Sykora was 19 when that season began (although he debuted in 95 at 19) and Elias was 20. Elias had played 1 game the season prior at 19. Prior to them Shanny debuted at 19 in 87.

We never really kept kids up once Lou took over. The league is trending a lot younger these days.

More recently I guess Matteau and Larsson at 18 and 20 are the closest although obviously Matteau wasn't up for long.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Pulkkinen was a pretty dominant AHL player. His #'s from the 14-15 season are very impressive. 34 goals in 46 games, + 14 goals in 16 playoff games? I don't really know his scouting report but just judging by his stats, I'd make that claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad