Devils 2016-17 team discussion (players news & notes) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If we wanted Parenteau, wouldn't we have simply signed him in the off-season? Or do you think we were outbid by the Islanders maybe?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That's also a player in his mid 30s you're comparing to guys in their early to mid 20s.

Why does that matter? DSP and Bennett are both better than Pulkinnen and Griffith and PA is the best of the bunch. I'm not saying we should pick him up but he's obviously the best choice of the 3

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Why does that matter? DSP and Bennett are both better than Pulkinnen and Griffith and PA is the best of the bunch. I'm not saying we should pick him up but he's obviously the best choice of the 3

Because players in their early 20s can get better. I'd be fine with PA too, but it's not completely fair to compare a known quantity to guys who are still figuring it out. A year ago DSP looked like scrap heap trash, now he looks to be a solid contributor.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Because players in their early 20s can get better. I'd be fine with PA too, but it's not completely fair to compare a known quantity to guys who are still figuring it out. A year ago DSP looked like scrap heap trash, now he looks to be a solid contributor.

Wings fans have said for a while that Pulkinnen is only his shot. DSP had also looked really good in Anaheim. Neither Griffith or Pulkinnen have ever looked close to that good

Last edited:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Youth only matters if you'd think you'd retain that person long term, making it worth the investment of developing. Otherwise, I'd prefer the known, developed entity.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Youth only matters if you'd think you'd retain that person long term, making it worth the investment of developing. Otherwise, I'd prefer the known, developed entity.

Obviously. If we got any of these guys and they developed into something, why would they not be retained given our cap situation?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He has torched the AHL (48 goals in 62 games in 2014) and is likely a better player than Boucher. It's a no risk move, I wouldn't mind it.

Just like I said all he has is his shot. Also AHL success=/=NHL success. There is no chance he's better than Boucher

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Just like I said all he has is his shot. Also AHL success=/=NHL success. There is no chance he's better than Boucher

That's quite a claim and it seems pretty baseless. Boucher hasn't shown much more than his shot either. A half season of decent play also doesn't equal NHL success. He might not even be on the team next year if he doesn't play well.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
He was out on the PK the another night vs. Florida, but it was late in the game when they were down by a couple. Can't recall him playing much otherwise, but I may be wrong.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I don't get why people are so down on Boucher. He put up ~0.5 ppg in nearly half a season last year. Reasonably encouraging IMO, at least enough so that I'd like to see how he follows that up before passing much judgement.

I'd definitely be interested in taking shot with Pulkkinen on waivers, but as others have said I'd be pretty surprised if he makes it to the Devils.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't get why people are so down on Boucher. He put up ~0.5 ppg in nearly half a season last year. Reasonably encouraging IMO, at least enough so that I'd like to see how he follows that up before passing much judgement.

I'd definitely be interested in taking shot with Pulkkinen on waivers, but as others have said I'd be pretty surprised if he makes it to the Devils.

I like Boucher, a lot....I have been a fan since bowled over Staal in his 3rd NHL game 3 years ago. But I can see the argument that he doesn't really fit into Hynes' system compared to other LW's who really might be a better fit...Guys like Wood, Quenneville maybe even Zacha if he is shifted to wing and then potentially Blandisi...That Left side is awfully crowded. Boucher has to score enough goals to stay ahead of of that competition and even then this staff might still prefer more speed on the wing.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I like Boucher, a lot....I have been a fan since bowled over Staal in his 3rd NHL game 3 years ago. But I can see the argument that he doesn't really fit into Hynes' system compared to other LW's who really might be a better fit...Guys like Wood, Quenneville maybe even Zacha if he is shifted to wing and then potentially Blandisi...That Left side is awfully crowded. Boucher has to score enough goals to stay ahead of of that competition and even then this staff might still prefer more speed on the wing.

This is completely fair. I like Boucher too but I don't think he's the best fit with Hynes. His skating is noticeably bad and not something I think Hynes wants long term in the top 6.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Also worth noting: Today's waiver moves mean Seth Helgeson has made the opening night 23 man roster. Probably will be a healthy scratch for the opener though.

Gross

Hope he sits upstairs in the suite so much, his ass starts to hurt. It won't be in nearly as much pain as our eyes or brain if we have to suffer through watching him in the lineup and watching him get pinned like the Brooklyn Brawler nightly.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Depending on how we want to bolster the right side, there are definitely some intriguing options right now.

My preference would probably be Griffith. His numbers last year in the AHL were phenomenal and it looks like he is more playmaker-oriented which is something we definitely lack.

Wouldn't mind Latta either for bottom-six depth as a righty who can play both C and RW.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Also worth noting: Today's waiver moves mean Seth Helgeson has made the opening night 23 man roster. Probably will be a healthy scratch for the opener though.

I don't think so, unless you are saying that by now waiving Helgeson today we won't be able to waive him tomorrow in time for the 23 man roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad