Devils 2016-17 team discussion (players news & notes) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
After watching Boucher I really don't see a role for him. He isn't going to be used on the PP and he doesn't mesh with Zajac. i would try to ship him off for a pick and slot Blandisi in there.

Hall - Henrique - Bennett
Blandisi - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Zacha - Lappin/Speers
Kalinen/Josefson - Fiddler/Josefson - DSP

Defense is becoming a pickled situation as well. Auvitu seems like he is turning into a lock to start the year with the Devils and most likely in opening lineup.

Greene - Severson
Moore/Quincey - Lovejoy
Auvitu/Merrill - Merrill/Quincey

The 3rd camp battle is in nets, Wedgewood most likely won't slip through the waiver wire. I believe Kinkaid has a better chance to do so.

What will NJ do with the PP? Here are the possible PP players NJ has:

Greene, Palmieri, Severson, Auvitu
Hall, Bennett, Henrique, Zajac, Josefson, Cammalleri, Blandisi, DSP, Zacha

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
PP2
Severson------------Palmieri
-------------------------------
----------Zajac--------------
Josefson------Bennett-------

PP1
Cammalleri-----------Auvitu
-------------Hall--------------
Zacha-------Henrique-------

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't understand how so many people are saying these things about Boucher after like 1 or 2 preaseason games. He was a .5PPG player last year and PPG in the AHL. He deserves to make the team

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't understand how so many people are saying these things about Boucher after like 1 or 2 preaseason games. He was a .5PPG player last year and PPG in the AHL. He deserves to make the team

Because people would rather see someone 'flashy' like Blandisi, and they also have new toys Lappin and Speers knocking on the door getting long looks. Plus this management doesn't have a particular attachment to Boucher anyway, he was someone else's pick.

Boucher's either going to make the team or get traded, they're not just going to cut him - that'd be stupid.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Boucher played fine with Zajac last season.
No he didn't, they were terrible together. Boucher when with Zajac 41.5% corisi for. Without Zajac 47.5%. Goals scored was terrible as well. Granted it was only 80 minutes but Zajac played extremely well with Blandisi both possession wise and result wise.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
After watching Boucher I really don't see a role for him. He isn't going to be used on the PP and he doesn't mesh with Zajac. i would try to ship him off for a pick and slot Blandisi in there.

Hall - Henrique - Bennett
Blandisi - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Zacha - Lappin/Speers
Kalinen/Josefson - Fiddler/Josefson - DSP

Defense is becoming a pickled situation as well. Auvitu seems like he is turning into a lock to start the year with the Devils and most likely in opening lineup.

Greene - Severson
Moore/Quincey - Lovejoy
Auvitu/Merrill - Merrill/Quincey

The 3rd camp battle is in nets, Wedgewood most likely won't slip through the waiver wire. I believe Kinkaid has a better chance to do so.

What will NJ do with the PP? Here are the possible PP players NJ has:

Greene, Palmieri, Severson, Auvitu
Hall, Bennett, Henrique, Zajac, Josefson, Cammalleri, Blandisi, DSP, Zacha

i thought he played fine last night... not sure we ship him off based on a few pre season games. as it stands he is gonna have to play really well to earn a spot in this lineup but...injuries, slumps etc.. will certainly happen .

I have to say..... after watching the game Avituu is on this team there is no doubt about this at this point. so in the past 48 hours this team has ..in my eyes picked up 2 new top 6 guys

greene
avituu
quincy
lovejoy
moore
severson
merrill
santini

we have 8 NHL capable defenseman and i feel a whole lot better about this corp now than i did two days ago...

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
No he didn't, they were terrible together. Boucher when with Zajac 41.5% corisi for. Without Zajac 47.5%. Goals scored was terrible as well. Granted it was only 80 minutes but Zajac played extremely well with Blandisi both possession wise and result wise.

did you watch the game or just look up advanced stats... he did small things well got the puck in deep and towards the net when it was warranted... I'm not saying they stood out but their game was adequate. these advanced stats are a little much I'm not sure they are supposed to be super analyzed in a game by game situation and that alone determines how "well" you played...

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
very happy to see bennett play well too,. he looked horrible in first rangers game and really solid last night so thats a good thing

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Watching Avitu last night I have no idea why his numbers overseas were so low...he looked dynamic moving the puck around. The note of caution is we don't know just how good he is defensively yet. But if you're telling me he's playing over Merrill and/or letting Santini get more pro experience in the AHL, I'm fine with that atm.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
did you watch the game or just look up advanced stats... he did small things well got the puck in deep and towards the net when it was warranted... I'm not saying they stood out but their game was adequate. these advanced stats are a little much I'm not sure they are supposed to be super analyzed in a game by game situation and that alone determines how "well" you played...
These are last years stats. Over 200 minutes of 5 on 5.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
really like pavel zacha game as well he is strong, quick and solid passer and skater he is gonna be a real plus to this lineup from last year..... DSP looked strong, blandisi looked strong.....

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
We're going to have injuries, we shouldn't ship off nice depth like Boucher. Chances are Cammalleri is going to have injuries again, and Boucher might look good on Zacha's wing.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
We're going to have injuries, we shouldn't ship off nice depth like Boucher. Chances are Cammalleri is going to have injuries again, and Boucher might look good on Zacha's wing.
Do you keep a one dimentional scorer as a 13th or 14th forward? He will not pass through waivers, thats for sure.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
These are last years stats. Over 200 minutes of 5 on 5.

gotcha... but why are you bringing up last years stats? its a new season he is a year older i wouldn't base my critique on this season.... not disagreeing that he could be the odd man out I just didn't see anything glaringly horrible about his game last night.... i struggle to see where he fits as well but not ready to ship him off ... of course if a great trade was available yes but i still think he can be a decent NHL player

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Do you keep a one dimentional scorer as a 13th or 14th forward? He will not pass through waivers, thats for sure.

I just don't see him as one dimensional, he is a strong passer, shooter, adequate defensively ... i see your point about where he fits in,, so you are saying get something for him instead of losing him..

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Watching Avitu last night I have no idea why his numbers overseas were so low...he looked dynamic moving the puck around. The note of caution is we don't know just how good he is defensively yet. But if you're telling me he's playing over Merrill and/or letting Santini get more pro experience in the AHL, I'm fine with that atm.

he looked really good moving the puck last night.... me too i was taken back by his play... i feel like we got another top 6 automatic that i didn't expect at all...rafalski 2.0 I'm going there

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Who else are they going to keep as the 13th/14th forwards?

Let's say for argument's sake this is the Opening Night roster and Blandisi beats out Boucher:

Camm-Zajac-Palmieri
Hall-Henrique-DSP
Blandisi-Zacha-Bennett
Josefson-Fiddler-Kalinin

Greene-Severson
Moore-Lovejoy
Aviutu/Merrill-Quincey

Cory-Kink/Wedge

Which two forwards apart from the above twelve sit every game? Maybe this Luke Gadzic guy for grinder games. They're not going to sit a guy like Lappin who doesn't need waivers.

Honestly it'd be a lot easier to send Blandisi back down and give Boucher the first crack, he's going to have to vastly outplay Boucher to win a job.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Boucher does not fit on this team. He does not play the way Hynes and Shero wants this team to play, thats the bottomline. And this isn't about his preseason performance it is about last season. It is a myth on here that the Boucher Zajac Palmieri line was good. No, it wasn't l, they always got pinned in their zone, just like last night. He also no longer has a guaranteed spot on the PP which reduces his shots which is his asset. Obviously he will be on the opening roster but don't be surprised if Shero ships him away. He does not mesh with this team. There will be better options down the line.

It also not about having the "flashy" option. Boucher just doesn't get it done unless his linemates cater to his play because of his skillset and skating. I don't want him to drag down Palmieri, hell even Zajac.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The narrative around Boucher is just so false. He's not a one-dimensional scorer. He is much better at setting up passes and making defensive plays than he gets credit for. I'll just see what the team does with him rather than getting dragged into an argument about it online, but if Boucher does move on, I hope it's to a more appreciative fan base. :shakehead

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009

Because people have no concept of the preseason, they were all freaking out about the PP the other night when it had Mozik, Kalinin and a bunch of kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad