Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
What's the 3 best things that could happen to the Devils this offseason?

1. Trade for young defensemen (Brodin as an example.)
2. Shattenkirk signs here
3. Devils win the lottery

I would put winning the lottery as my #1. A young cost controlled forward who could be our #1 C in Patrick would outweigh overpaying a FA or giving up assets for a D (I'm in support of us doing both this offseason).

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Current prospects are going to be a huge factor as well. Do Zacha and Wood take the next step, do McLeod/Speers/Quenneville make the team and contribute, etc. The defense is going to have to be addressed through trades and free agency.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
From Friedman's 30 thoughts he said Devils were front runners for Kelleher and the only team following him on twitter, although I have to say I hate the rationale on the latter part.

So take that for whatever you want but figured I would share.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
From Friedman's 30 thoughts he said Devils were front runners for Bayreuther and the only team following him on twitter, although I have to say I hate the rationale on the latter part.

He said they were frontrunners for Kelleher and mentioned no other teams in on him (and also mentioned that social media anecdote). He mentioned other teams in on Bayreuther but not New Jersey.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
From Friedman's 30 thoughts he said Devils were front runners for Bayreuther and the only team following him on twitter, although I have to say I hate the rationale on the latter part.

I still remember the mass panic when Miles Wood stopped following us on Twitter a couple years ago...good times :laugh:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I still remember the mass panic when Miles Wood stopped following us on Twitter a couple years ago...good times :laugh:

Time flies...I think that was just last winter when he was still at BC?

The freak out was great

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He said they were frontrunners for Kelleher and mentioned no other teams in on him (and also mentioned that social media anecdote). He mentioned other teams in on Bayreuther but not New Jersey.

I just completely skimmed through it, my bad. Good catch. I'll change my post.

It's interesting to note Bayreuther is following Peverley who is a Dallas Stars player development coach.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
What's the 3 best things that could happen to the Devils this offseason?

Realistic stuff?

1) Devils Win Lottery
2) Shero/Hynes (mostly Hynes) understands the importance of possession and focuses roster around that
3) We sign Shattenkirk

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
From Friedman's 30 thoughts he said Devils were front runners for Kelleher and the only team following him on twitter, although I have to say I hate the rationale on the latter part.

Rich Mathews (Devils equipment guy) is also following Kelleher. I also think Friedman would dig deeper and not just base any assumptions on a Twitter follow.

There's also this:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Realistic stuff?

1) Devils Win Lottery
2) Shero/Hynes (mostly Hynes) understands the importance of possession and focuses roster around that
3) We sign Shattenkirk

Should see a few trades this offseason for the Devils due to the expansion draft (teams that are going to lose a good player will try to lessen the impact), plus the Devils have a lot of cap space to work with.

Would also expect to see a few deals between teams and Vegas during the 72 hour window between expansion lists being submitted and the actual expansion draft.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Current prospects are going to be a huge factor as well. Do Zacha and Wood take the next step, do McLeod/Speers/Quenneville make the team and contribute, etc. The defense is going to have to be addressed through trades and free agency.

All major keys to the organization gaining respectability. However, we still need to sure up the defense.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
A-R to Pitts was a formality.

Bayruether would have been a nice catch.

Not a fair system when the best teams get essentially a free 1st round pick.

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
A-R to Pitts was a formality.

Bayruether would have been a nice catch.

Not a fair system when the best teams get essentially a free 1st round pick.

Hard to call it a free first really, a bunch of these guys turn out to be nothing special and barely even NHL-ers. The system does suck though I agree but really there's not much they can do. When you have the field to select from going to the best/better teams just seems like the optimal choice. Though, if we can get that tyke-sized forward that'd be neat.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
There's a difference between a 1st or 2nd round pick going the college route and then hitting free agency and an undrafted player getting signed. The latter probably 90% of the time never amount to anything more than AHL players.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Dreger on Insider Trading says Shero trying to sign Kerfoot before Aug 15th deadline but Kerfoot wants to explore options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig