Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
not a fan of the move but then again I'm not a fan of how they've played the past few weeks. If this can do something to spark them then cool. Maybe have Gadzic come in and just start wailing on guys (teammates not exempt)?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I mean seriously, he's a fine player and all but he's not great defensively and isn't putting up points so this isn't a big deal. He's a #5 or #6. Let him play in Albany, dominate there for a little while, then bring him back.

Agree with this, but more of the issue here is with who was called up in his place.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Agree with this, but more of the issue here is with who was called up in his place.

Yeah, that's a bit of a headscratcher, but maybe it's just to give the guy a game or two to see if it changes anything, or give Kalinin or someone a few days off. It's not really a make-or-break sort of move. I'm not worried.

Camille the Eel

They want to play Merrill and get him in the line up steadily. That's the key to this. Once they do that Auvitu is not being dressed but they don't want him just sitting and watching from the press box, so they send him to Albany to play and keep in game shape. And gain more experience in the North American game.

They are also committed to playing Lovejoy, Quincey, Moore, Greene and Severson also. With Merrill that makes the six for the game.

And it makes sense. Merrill has a huge upside for this team but it's not going to develop with him just sitting. His skating is very special, he's very fluid when striding and handling the puck and was looking pretty good last fall in camp before I think he got hit with an unlucky injury. The way our defense has been lately, isn't this just when you would get him back in the line up on a regular basis?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Let's be fair about one thing though, they DO need a little sandpaper, you can't be entirely finesse. When you have Severson dropping the gloves and Moore taking major penalties and Wood having to stick up for Lappin and Gudbranson cheap shotting Lovejoy it's clear physical liberties have been taken the last few games.

I think sandpaper is pretty meaningless if it hurts every other aspect of a team. I love physical play, but if that's all you bring, it doesn't help. Wood has a ton of energy and speed + physicality so I see a role for him. Kalinin is solid possession-wise and on the PK + physicality so I see him role. DSP is pretty good on the PK and is ok in front of the net on the PP + physicality so he has at least some role...Goons like Gazdic don't really help anything. Especially considering our bottom 6 has been so inept offensively already.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
They want to play Merrill and get him in the line up steadily. That's the key to this. Once they do that Auvitu is not being dressed but they don't want him just sitting and watching from the press box, so they send him to Albany to play and keep in game shape. And gain more experience in the North American game.

They are also committed to playing Lovejoy, Quincey, Moore, Greene and Severson also. With Merrill that makes the six for the game.

And it makes sense. Merrill has a huge upside for this team but it's not going to develop with him just sitting. His skating is very special, he's very fluid when striding and handling the puck and was looking pretty good last fall in camp before I think he got hit with an unlucky injury. The way our defense has been lately, isn't this just when you would get him back in the line up on a regular basis?

I'm not picking up what you're putting down.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
No transition game from the back-end is what kills this team the most. Playing Merrill and Gadzic makes it even worse.

Don't understand.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think sandpaper is pretty meaningless if it hurts every other aspect of a team. I love physical play, but if that's all you bring, it doesn't help. Wood has a ton of energy and speed + physicality so I see a role for him. Kalinin is solid possession-wise and on the PK + physicality so I see him role. DSP is pretty good on the PK and is ok in front of the net on the PP + physicality so he has at least some role...Goons like Gazdic don't really help anything. Especially considering our bottom 6 has been so inept offensively already.

It's not meaningless if other teams repeatedly take liberties with your best players.

Ideally you want more well rounded guys in the lineup who can take a regular shift, maybe Santini and/or Wood develops into that someday but they're not there yet. So your only options are rolling out the same lineup where the fourth liners are still offensively lacking anyway by your own admission, or do something about it.

All those incidents of other teams taking liberties on us I named happened in the last few games and I didn't even include the Palm beatdown by Price and Petry. Clearly there's an issue here.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
The team lost two of its better defensemen from last season. Is Hynes supposed to rely more on the defense now?

Tbh I've said like three times I'm not watching most of the games.

If this is the same system that has produced spells of success this season, then you need to look at the bigger picture. The team is in a rebuild and is going to lose games. Growing pains.

How is it that the guy who watches the least, has the most levelheaded and rational view?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Toughness is not meaningless but it does have a niche role, a role I think we have a need for right now. Our presence in front of our net is awful. Our defensemen can't clear the crease to save their lives, it's an easy avenue for other teams to crash our net without paying the consequence and we're getting torched because of it. I don't think Gazdic is necessarily the answer (I was hoping for Santini to be called up if a move was to be made) but it's something I guess.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Gadzic will get in a fight, we'll win the game, people will think the two are related, and he won't come out of the lineup until Valentine's Day.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Love this move. This team needed a change and the addition of Gadzic will bring some much needed grit and emotion, a area we've been lacking in our current slump. It's not as if we're benching Cammalleri in favour of Gadzic.

Not surprised at all that the HF community is questioning this move. Should've fired the coach instead.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I don't know the player but I agree that the Devils are a very soft team. I was thinking we need more of a Nolan type player, however, I guess the new guy will have to do. To watch what Price did to Palimeri and not one Devil backed him up was sickening.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I don't know the player but I agree that the Devils are a very soft team. I was thinking we need more of a Nolan type player, however, I guess the new guy will have to do. To watch what Price did to Palimeri and not one Devil backed him up was sickening.

What? Our entire team stormed the net and Lovejoy went after Price.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Well everyone wanted a shakeup lol. I don't mind it at all, it will probably be for a short term anyway. This might just be a subtle way of calling them out a bit, try to get their heads out of their ***** while adding some toughness. Apparently they don't want to send Wood or Lappin down so unfortunately for Auvitu he's the guy. I would like to see Santini at some point but not sure what his status is regarding injury.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

While I disagree with your example, the basis I agree with. There isn't anyone on this team who has any fire, maybe Gazdic changes that.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Something needed to happen. But sending down one of your best players while promoting a non-NHLer does not make it a good move. In fact, it makes it an awful one.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Someone had to go down to make any type of move, Wood and Lappin have been pretty good so they aren't sending them down ATM. I'm sure they want Merrill to get some games also and Auvitu is the only other player they can send down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig