Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I couldn't care less about how physical the guy is. He isn't an NHL player and will provide nothing positive to this team. There are probably 5+ guys in Albany who would do more for this team.

Agreed.

I think it's kinda telling we haven't seen Blandisi at all this year. Wood, JQ, Lappin, and now Gazdic all got time before he did.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Inexcusable move, mind boggling. We just got a lot worse. Unreal that they thought sending down their third best defenseman was the answer. Absolutely garbage move.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
o noes wat r we goin 2 do w/o auvitu n his 4 hole points

TFW judging defensemen solely by points

giphy.gif

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What I find amusing is replacing Auvitu and keeping Moore is so much an anti analytics move it makes you think these guys (Sunny Mehta, etc) are hood ornaments now and not listened to. Technically I think the analytics guys were brought in pre Shero too.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Auvitu is the only waiver exempt defenceman we have isn't he? I'm guessing they wanted to recall Gazdic at the expense of a defeceman without having to expose anyone to waivers.

He'll be back in no time i'm sure.

If they plan on sitting wood/lappin they could have sent one of them down instead. If Zacha is good to go I assume Kalinin is the healthy scratch, but who sits in favor of Gazweiner?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
What I find amusing is replacing Auvitu and keeping Moore is so much an anti analytics move it makes you think these guys (Sunny Mehta, etc) are hood ornaments now and not listened to. Technically I think the analytics guys were brought in pre Shero too.

I was thinking about this.

There could be something we're not seeing. I'm sure Mehta is working with things a lot more advanced than Corsi.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
What I find amusing is replacing Auvitu and keeping Moore is so much an anti analytics it makes you think these guys (Sunny Mehta, etc) are hood ornaments now and not listened to.

Yeah, that's what makes it completely ridiculous. We continue to ice possibly one of the worst defensemen in the NHL and send down a guy who's had a positive impact on the team (though he has struggled a bit lately). They cannot claim to embrace analytics if they do crap like this.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
This is one of the dumber moves I've seen this organization make in a while. Even if it's only for one game it's inexcuseable. It really makes you question what Hynes/Shero are watching in terms of defenseman. These two have proven nothing when it comes to evaluating defensman. Hynes scratched Severson multiple times last year. They let Schlemko walk. And they just sent down one of our best players so far this year.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's possible Gazdic doesn't even play and is here in case an extra body is needed at forward due to injury or when playing against a more physical team. Perhaps they want Auvitu to keep playing rather than be scratched, not that I'd scratch him anyway. But as pointed out, he's the only waiver exempt defender.

We'll see what the actual plan is. I'm sure they'll bring Auvitu back in no time. Not a move I'd make, obviously.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
For the most part since Hynes took over, he hasn't done anything too drastic or unreasonable, but on the surface right now this is a little bit mind boggling. Hopefully it has something to do with waivers and our other defensemen as mentioned, but hoo boy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's possible Gazdic doesn't even play and is here in case an extra body is needed at forward due to injury or when playing against a more physical team. Perhaps they want Auvitu to keep playing rather than be scratched, not that I'd scratch him anyway. But as pointed out, he's the only waiver exempt defender.

We'll see what the actual plan is. I'm sure they'll bring Auvitu back in no time. Not a move I'd make, obviously.

They have 15 forwards now, how many extra forwards do you need? They seem oddly comfortable carrying only six D. They probably have to sit Lappin who's been a fourth liner anyway if they did want Gadzic in the lineup.

If they wanted to send Lappin down for Gadzic and Auvitu down for Santini fine by me but this feels like a half measure and the worst half at that.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Who cares about possession, shots, goals, etc. WE NEED GRIT. And we've sorely missed guys like Tootoo this season. I'd give Janssen a call too.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I mean seriously, he's a fine player and all but he's not great defensively and isn't putting up points so this isn't a big deal. He's a #5 or #6. Let him play in Albany, dominate there for a little while, then bring him back.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
They have 15 forwards now, how many extra forwards do you need? They seem oddly comfortable carrying only six D. They probably have to sit Lappin who's been a fourth liner anyway if they did want Gadzic in the lineup.

If they wanted to send Lappin down for Gadzic and Auvitu down for Santini fine by me but this feels like a half measure and the worst half at that.

Hey, I'm just trying to sift through and find the potential logic. :laugh: Like I said, not a move I'd make. I think it's more to prevent from having Auvitu sit too long and want him to stay fresh, and if an injury occurs or a move is made, they'll bring him right back.

I think most agree that the person they'd rather sit is Moore, including myself, but they apparently see value in his skating and his production right now.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
i need the ant man suit to get inside that room and hear their logic on this one.
this is just....whoa

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Who cares about possession, shots, goals, etc. WE NEED GRIT. And we've sorely missed guys like Tootoo this season. I'd give Janssen a call too.

Let's be fair about one thing though, they DO need a little sandpaper, you can't be entirely finesse. When you have Severson dropping the gloves and Moore taking major penalties and Wood having to stick up for Lappin and Gudbranson cheap shotting Lovejoy it's clear physical liberties have been taken the last few games.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I like Auvitu, but I don't have a huge problem with this. He had very sheltered minutes, which inflated his possession numbers. Nothing wrong with him getting #1 d-man ice time in Albany and gaining some more confidence.

I would like to give Mozik a chance. +/- is a very flawed stat when viewed in isolation, but he's a +37 in 74 career AHL games. He's probably not as good as that stat says, but he's good enough in that stat to probably be doing something right.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I don't get the comments about an "indefinite" rebuild. Why are you acting as if that it is some sort of exact science?

Every team is different. If it was so easy, you wouldn't have teams like Edmonton etc who are terrible forever.

If it were so easy, we could all be running our own NHL teams ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad