Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
A bit late to this, but the brief spurts of offensive touch like that one you mentioned is why I would rather him develop in the AHL. Let him test out those plays and see what works and what doesn't. Let him learn how to play the PK, which is where I'm hoping he can become a monster for us.

I'm just not sure the staff is going to use him in a role that isn't going to simply be abusing his speed right now which isn't good for his long term development. I'm not saying send him down right now, but if they are going to use him as they have the best two games, I'd rather him be in the minors.

In all honesty, he may stick around. The Boucher waiver has opened up a spot for him when everyone is healthy.

I don't think playing the penalty kill as a forward is something that needs to be learned in the minors. The power play, for guys who don't just take to it, sure. But the penalty kill? The only hard things for a forward is where to be in the neutral zone when the puck isn't in the zone (and for the Devils this doesn't seem to matter much) and when to switch off to the other forward.

I have to reiterate that I don't see how in the AHL they can get him to not 'abuse his speed' given that his speed advantage has to be even greater down there. They did this with Blandisi last year who was also quite raw - he earned a callup and played very well at first. Down the stretch he faded. Now he's back in the AHL and would probably get called up if a center were hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig