Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How about that Severson kid :)

Over/Under 31 points for Severson?

I picked 31 points because that is what our top pairing produced last season combined.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Any comparisons of this team to last year's team are fatuous. The top 4 territorial players and 5 of the top 6 were not here last year.

Also I love Severson but he's not scoring 45 or 50 points.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'm on board with the 35-40 range. Kid is playing great.

I was thinking in terms of 'how many players we need to find to':
- make the playoffs
- contend
- win a cup

As part of the solution for all of the above, I've got:

1LW: Hall
1C: Zacha
1RW:
2LW: (1 of Quenneville, Speers, Wood, McLeod?)
2C: Henrique
2RW: Palmieri (2/3rd line)
3LW: (1 of Boucher, JJ, Blandisi or above)
3C: Zajac
3RW: (1 of DSP, Bennett)
4LW: Kalinin
4C:
4RW: (Lappin or Coleman, Pietla?)

D1:
D2: Severson
D3: Greene (will need to reduce role as team gets better and he ages)
D4: Santini, Jacobs, White, Merrill? with improvement?
D5: Ov2
D6: Moore

G1: Schnides
G2:

Lovejoy could be fine as 5-6/7th, even on a good team.

So, the obvious holes before we become a legit contender are:
1RW, 2LW, 3LW, 3RW, 4C, D1, G2

I think we can fill two to four of those internally with what we've already got. I don't think we have a true #1 RW in the system. I don't know if we have a true shutdown/faceoff winning 4C, and although I like Fiddler, he won't be around and he isn't dominant in a Holik/Madden way. We still need a #1 D man, unless Santini, Severson, Merrill or someone else really surprises.

If we upgraded those spots thru trade or free agency, I could see us being a really potent team and maybe making a legit run in 2 years.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm on board with the 35-40 range. Kid is playing great.

I was thinking in terms of 'how many players we need to find to':
- make the playoffs
- contend
- win a cup

As part of the solution for all of the above, I've got:

1LW: Hall
1C: Zacha
1RW:
2LW: (1 of Quenneville, Speers, Wood, McLeod?)
2C: Henrique
2RW: Palmieri (2/3rd line)
3LW: (1 of Boucher, JJ, Blandisi or above)
3C: Zajac
3RW: (1 of DSP, Bennett)
4LW: Kalinin
4C:
4RW: (Lappin or Coleman, Pietla?)

D1:
D2: Severson
D3: Greene (will need to reduce role as team gets better and he ages)
D4: Santini, Jacobs, White, Merrill? with improvement?
D5: Ov2
D6: Moore

G1: Schnides
G2:

Lovejoy could be fine as 5-6/7th, even on a good team.

So, the obvious holes before we become a legit contender are:
1RW, 2LW, 3LW, 3RW, 4C, D1, G2

I think we can fill two to four of those internally with what we've already got. I don't think we have a true #1 RW in the system. I don't know if we have a true shutdown/faceoff winning 4C, and although I like Fiddler, he won't be around and he isn't dominant in a Holik/Madden way. We still need a #1 D man, unless Santini, Severson, Merrill or someone else really surprises.

If we upgraded those spots thru trade or free agency, I could see us being a really potent team and maybe making a legit run in 2 years.

I'm not sure I would count on Zacha being a 1C. However, I wouldn't complain about how dynamic and balanced a Zacha - Henrique - Zajac center trio will be. I'm also counting Pietila in for 4C to do exactly what Fiddler is doing this year.

I'm hoping than Bennett can carve out a role as a reliable depth scoring forward with Lappin doing the same but as a grinding physical forward. For Bennett, a guy that can play either wing on lines 1-3 in a variety of roles and Lappin as a nice complimentary forward that can go up and down the line-up like Clutterbuck.

As far as defense goes, I think you'll see us have the right side anchoring the left side. Severson - Santini - Lovejoy down the right side could be solid and reliable. Auvitu, if he keeps improving, could definitely mesh well alongside Santini and/or Lovejoy. Getting a 1D is unrealistic, the focus should be on getting a quality LD that can either make a top pairing with Severson or can spread out the top four. A good example of that type of player is Bouwmeester. Brodin could be an interesting young option there, but I don't think we have the assets to pull anything off at this point.

On the latter, there are some interesting UFA LDs in the next couple years. This off-season, the best LD is Alzner with Burns/Shattenkirk (RDs) also free agents. The following off-season you have Vlasic, Jack Johnson, Cam Fowler, Carlson (RD), and Hamhuis all becoming UFAs.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Any comparisons of this team to last year's team are fatuous. The top 4 territorial players and 5 of the top 6 were not here last year.

Also I love Severson but he's not scoring 45 or 50 points.

How many do you think he'll get?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I'm not sure I would count on Zacha being a 1C. However, I wouldn't complain about how dynamic and balanced a Zacha - Henrique - Zajac center trio will be. I'm also counting Pietila in for 4C to do exactly what Fiddler is doing this year.

I'm hoping than Bennett can carve out a role as a reliable depth scoring forward with Lappin doing the same but as a grinding physical forward. For Bennett, a guy that can play either wing on lines 1-3 in a variety of roles and Lappin as a nice complimentary forward that can go up and down the line-up like Clutterbuck.

As far as defense goes, I think you'll see us have the right side anchoring the left side. Severson - Santini - Lovejoy down the right side could be solid and reliable. Auvitu, if he keeps improving, could definitely mesh well alongside Santini and/or Lovejoy. Getting a 1D is unrealistic, the focus should be on getting a quality LD that can either make a top pairing with Severson or can spread out the top four. A good example of that type of player is Bouwmeester. Brodin could be an interesting young option there, but I don't think we have the assets to pull anything off at this point.

Lappin's CF%, 55.66, 42nd among forwards
Cal Clutterbuck CF%, 47.27, 271st among forwards

He's better than him already.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Lappin's CF%, 55.66, 42nd among forwards
Cal Clutterbuck CF%, 47.27, 271st among forwards

He's better than him already.

Let's pump the brakes there.

I love what Lappin's doing, but lets not pretend he's better than proven players like Clutterbuck. The optimist in me wants to see him end up somewhere in the mold of a middle-six version of Langenbrunner. The realist in me is saying that expecting something similar to Clutterbuck is more likely.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lappin is better than just an "energy" player. He strikes me as one of those players that aren't high end but you could play him on any line and get good results.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Let's pump the brakes there.

I love what Lappin's doing, but lets not pretend he's better than proven players like Clutterbuck. The optimist in me wants to see him end up somewhere in the mold of a middle-six version of Langenbrunner. The realist in me is saying that expecting something similar to Clutterbuck is more likely.

Clutterbuck has been at best territorially break-even in his career. I get the comparison, but I don't think Clutterbuck was a particularly good player.

The guy I'm thinking of is Dave Moss, a player who was drafted with a pick that no longer exists in most drafts (220th) and was always a solid limited minutes guy.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Severson is someone we can all agree on. He is playing great.

All aboard the Severson train. Though let's hold off on the wild main board threads!

I'd like to hold off on all the wild Devils related threads on the main board for now, while I continue to enjoy the Blue Jackets hype threads and whatever ''Let's talk about (insert hottest goalie of the week)'' threads.:laugh:

Severson is definitely having the best offensive season for a defenseman in quite a while, I mean on the Devils.

Better offense than Zidlicky and a better all around game than him too. Only bringing up Zidlicky because he's the best offensive defensemen we've had since Rafalski. Gelinas masqueraded as pretty good for a while too, but he was never good all around.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Severson reminds me of Rafalski when he's coming up ice on the breakout. Calm, reading the play, and then making a typically very good pass. He's still a little adventurous in his own end at times, but it's usually just because he's trying to make a play instead of the classic Devils defense clear up the boards that usually just results in losing possession. And he's still only 22 years old, so he should just get better.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Severson reminds me of Rafalski when he's coming up ice on the breakout. Calm, reading the play, and then making a typically very good pass. He's still a little adventurous in his own end at times, but it's usually just because he's trying to make a play instead of the classic Devils defense clear up the boards that usually just results in losing possession. And he's still only 22 years old, so he should just get better.

I'm just very glad we have not had to use frickin Helgeson or some other grenade handling turd that isn't NHL caliber.

That's why I rarely complain about Quincey, who hasn't been that bad aside from some stupid penalties earlier on.

If Cammalleri is out for a while, I'd like to see if Patty is ready to go. If not, then I'd like to see if maybe Marc Savard would like to give it a go.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'm just very glad we have not had to use frickin Helgeson or some other grenade handling turd that isn't NHL caliber.

That's why I rarely complain about Quincey, who hasn't been that bad aside from some stupid penalties earlier on.

If Cammalleri is out for a while, I'd like to see if Patty is ready to go. If not, then I'd like to see if maybe Marc Savard would like to give it a go.

Somewhere Marc Savard looks up from his couch and is like... 'Me??? Play hockey??'

(note puddle of drool under his chin).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Somewhere Marc Savard looks up from his couch and is like... 'Me??? Play hockey??'

(note puddle of drool under his chin).

I'd bet he could score more than JJ.

All 285 pounds and 43 years of Lindros might able to make a pretty good run at it too!:sarcasm:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just realized that 2 of our 3 regulation losses were to the same team (the Lightning) and I saw both of them. I also saw our 2 OT losses to Florida. So we're 8-1-1 in games that I have not seen in person. I am happy to say that I currently have no plans to attend anymore games this year. Lack of money to travel and no more Florida games (thank god) for the rest of the season. We're a brutal 0-2-2 with me in attendance.:help:

I keep saying year after year, I wanna see a game in Dallas. I have a friend that I rarely see anymore. He lives in Galveston, but is originally from the Dallas area. He said he would meet me in Dallas and we could hang out for a few days or I go fly into Houston and spend some time with him, then we drive 5 hours to Dallas and see the game. He's no hockey fan, but he said he'd go with me.

Fortunately, I'm not going to tonight's game.

Our only other loss in regulation was to Boston, we rarely beat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad