Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
He is, but I'm not sure we get him as a UFA on a level playing field. I think we need to be able to offer him that extra year. We could hold off and trade for his rights, but he could tip the scales on a playoff push, and I think he is more likely to stay with a playoff team.

Normally I would agree but we have quite a few things going for us. Blues are a cup contender so I doubt they trade him.

- his desire to play in the northeast
- Rangers cap situation compared to ours
- team on the rise, a stud d man is one of the missing pieces, we can promise him top pairing minutes and QB the power play
- we can offer the best deal if we want to go there and can afford to overpay if need be, that's the kind of player you overpay for

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 42s42 seconds ago
Eric Gelinas (Colorado) cleared waivers today. NJ placed Reid Boucher on waivers.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would keep Kalinin on the bench for JQ.

For next game, maybe, but in the long-term, I'd rather Kalinin on the fourth line and keep JQ in Albany playing top line minutes.

Kalinin has been solid so far in his role on the fourth line and on the PK. I think our fourth line will eventually end up as Kalinin - Fiddler - DSP. Wood will likely go back to Albany when everyone is healthy, if Boucher isn't claimed, and Lappin will hopefully push his way up the line-up.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If Wood can keep up this level of play, he's the kind of player you find a spot in the lineup for. Kalinin is a body - he won't hurt you because he works hard every game, but he won't help you much either.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If Wood can keep up this level of play, he's the kind of player you find a spot in the lineup for. Kalinin is a body - he won't hurt you because he works hard every game, but he won't help you much either.

Agreed. For 82 games though, you need guys like Kalinin on your fourth line to play those minutes.

When the games start to matter, I wouldn't be surprised if Hynes ices a fourth line of Wood - Fiddler - Lappin late in the year. Between Wood's speed and Lappin's knack for creating offense, that line has the potential to do some damage offensively and/or draw penalties.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
For next game, maybe, but in the long-term, I'd rather Kalinin on the fourth line and keep JQ in Albany playing top line minutes.

Kalinin has been solid so far in his role on the fourth line and on the PK. I think our fourth line will eventually end up as Kalinin - Fiddler - DSP. Wood will likely go back to Albany when everyone is healthy, if Boucher isn't claimed, and Lappin will hopefully push his way up the line-up.

I think that would be a mistake. I didn't think he was ready based on his first couple games early in the season and thought he needed a full year of seasoning in the AHL. I'm sure he does have tons of stuff to work on, but he belongs here. The impact he can make with his speed is tremendous. He makes a much bigger impact than Kalinin or DSP. And lately even more than PAP.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 42s42 seconds ago
Eric Gelinas (Colorado) cleared waivers today. NJ placed Reid Boucher on waivers.

I didn't expect Gelinas to be picked up nor do I think Boucher will be picked up. Gelinas couldn't play defense and Boucher can't skate.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I think that would be a mistake. I didn't think he was ready based on his first couple games early in the season and thought he needed a full year of seasoning in the AHL. I'm sure he does have tons of stuff to work on, but he belongs here. The impact he can make with his speed is tremendous. He makes a much bigger impact than Kalinin or DSP. And lately even more than PAP.[/QUOTE]

Did PAP's bubble break, looks that way.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think that would be a mistake. I didn't think he was ready based on his first couple games early in the season and thought he needed a full year of seasoning in the AHL. I'm sure he does have tons of stuff to work on, but he belongs here. The impact he can make with his speed is tremendous. He makes a much bigger impact than Kalinin or DSP. And lately even more than PAP.

Maybe, but I'm afraid keeping him on the NHL team and just abusing him for his speed isn't going to help his development. Maybe the staff things long-term they'd rather him as a bottom-six winger with speed considering the talent we have at the LW position, but I would rather see him become a more complete player.

Call him up later in the year when the games matter, but for the bulk of the season, I'd rather see him getting 1st line minutes, PP time, and PK time in Albany.

It's like taking that really fast kid in Pop Warner and throwing him at running back and just running a toss every play. He's never going to learn how to really be a running back that way.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Maybe, but I'm afraid keeping him on the NHL team and just abusing him for his speed isn't going to help his development. Maybe the staff things long-term they'd rather him as a bottom-six winger with speed considering the talent we have at the LW position, but I would rather see him become a more complete player.

Call him up later in the year when the games matter, but for the bulk of the season, I'd rather see him getting 1st line minutes, PP time, and PK time in Albany.

It's like taking that really fast kid in Pop Warner and throwing him at running back and just running a toss every play. He's never going to learn how to really be a running back that way.

I agree with you. It depends on how consistent Wood plays. If he can bring his effort in Winnipeg on a consistent basis, you can't really take him out of the lineup. I suspect that performance is a difficult one to churn out consistently though, so if he stumbles a bit it's probably best to send him back down.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Agreed. For 82 games though, you need guys like Kalinin on your fourth line to play those minutes.

When the games start to matter, I wouldn't be surprised if Hynes ices a fourth line of Wood - Fiddler - Lappin late in the year. Between Wood's speed and Lappin's knack for creating offense, that line has the potential to do some damage offensively and/or draw penalties.

Kalinin better start producing in my opinion.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

The counterpoint to this argument is that because he's so fast he could develop bad habits playing against inferior competition. Given how well he's started out during this second callup, I'd like to give him a shot to learn here - if his play starts being bad, then he can be sent down.

He had a very impressive drop pass last night where he had an angle to the net possibly but he realized that he had a forward back there and it set up a very good scoring chance.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
What I like about Shero and Hynes is that they don't have patience for players who don't produce after numerous chances. To bad we don't have the depth at defense to do the same.

snwbdgislife

Sep 14, 2016
What I like about Shero and Hynes is that they don't have patience for players who don't produce after numerous chances. To bad we don't have the depth at defense to do the same.

This. It is a shame that Santini has only played 5 games this year (and is apparently hurt). It would have been quite helpful to have him pushing for a spot like Lappin, Wood, and Quenneville have. Does anyone have any update on him?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kalinin better start producing in my opinion.

As long he's on the 4th line, I don't care so much if he doesn't produce points. He's the worst offensive forward on the team, even worse than JJ. His ability to finish has mostly been non-existent, despite his 8 goals last and that one breakaway goal against the Rangers. But I think there's a spot for him on the 4th line.

I liked it too, but if Merrill is back in for Auvitu tomorrow, I'll be losing patience with Hynes on this. It seems every time there's a bad game, there's a change on defense or 7D playing. As if Auvitu is the reason we've been allowing 3 or 4 goals and that we aren't also allowing that many goals when he's not in the lineup....

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The Devils have heavily invested in advanced stats so I would have to think they are aware of these numbers. I personally attribute any time Auvitu is scratched to an injury or bump.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Devils have heavily invested in advanced stats so I would have to think they are aware of these numbers. I personally attribute any time Auvitu is scratched to an injury or bump.

I remember reading a lot of Shero's moves have been for players that are very good possession players. From Tlusty and Kennedy to Bennett, Parenteau and of course Hall. Not that there was any resume in North America for Auvitu when we signed him.

But I figured players like Moore wouldn't get such a long leash, since his analytics numbers are pretty bad from what I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad